All Topics / Forum Frolic / Dragon Speak Naturally

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi all,

I am currently investigating the purchase of a First Dragon Speak voice recognition software package for the workplace.

Any comments?

Derek
    [email protected]

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email welcome.

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

I think you need to read this first Derek. It may help you in your decision making process today.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/31/1080544541410.html

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Heller rugby and others,

what I decided finally go out and buy package as you can see we are still getting used to each other from sure that overtime will understand each other perfectly well.

I have left this passage under edited so that people can see the level at which this software is currently operating.

by the way for those who interested the cost is around $400.

Derek
    [email protected]

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email me.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Derek,

can you explain this system further please – thanks.

Regards,
    George.

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

@derek

Hi George,

Dragon Speak Naturally is a voice recognition software program developed by http://www.scansoft.com and can be configured for various accents including Australian English.

The package enables you to talk to your computer (with software loaded) and as you speak it types what you say to it – dictation by computer. It will also insert punctuation as you go – if you have trained it properly that is.

Editing is realtively simple too – all that is required is for the computer to recognise your voice and speech patterns. I suspect we will both learn to understand each other over time – I’ll speak clearly and it will listen better.

A microphone plugs into your sound card and enables you to talk directly into many Office applications such as outlook, word and excel – haven’t tried powerpoint yet. DSN also enables me to dictate directly into this forum as if I was typing.

Recommended hardware (Pentium 3 500mhz, 128 ram and needs 300mb of harddrive space) License permits you to put your voice print on all the computers you use (home, laptop and at work)

Can add upgrades to liaise with Pocket PC and will even read back to you.

I am having fun.

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Derek,

what job do you have that requires or enables you to have this software…

It’s another piece of equipment – making the world a lazier place.[confused2][confused2][confused2]

@derek

Hi Geo,

I am always writing letters to parents, teachers, companies, district office, head office etc, documents for some group, meeting notes, discussion minutes or planning directions for the school as school principal and as such that side of my role takes up more time than it warrants.

By me being able to ‘dictate’ document will also release my two clearical officers to do the other jobs that now fall into their laps under decentralisation policies.

As such, for me the program doesn’t fall into a toy category, rather I am sure that over time it will become part and parcel of my work.

I would prefer to be out and about talking to kids and teachers and doing more of the big picture stuff.

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

interesting and good the way you look at it – what school are you principal of?

I’ll have to send my kids there in the future (if I have any) if I know that the teachers will talk to them about investing….hehehehe

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Derek,

A very nice piece of software that you consider buying or may already bought.

~~Joke~~ I hope you can use it to write to the forum as well. It will faster and you can reply to it much faster. Eventhough it is a joke now, it might become reality in the future.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

@derek

Hello Chan,

It is here already – I am using it at the moment as we ‘speak’ or ‘type’ or ‘whatever’

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment support – starts but never stops.

Participant
    @jetdollars

That’s very good, Derek. Can you actually do like the one I mention as ~~Joke~~ or you can only use it for microsoft products.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

@derek

Hi Chan,

Works on the forum – haven’t seen how extensively it works elsewhere yet.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment support – starts but never stops.

Participant
    @jetdollars

Derek,
    That’s fantastic. I might consider of getting one as well. $400…? still thinking.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.