All Topics / General Property / Easter pressies to tenants?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

It’s never happened to me. Maybe I’ve been lucky. Then again, I’ve done it for a number of years with a fair few tenants. I reward tenants who are prompt with their rent and go out of their way to take care of (and in some cases improve) my properties. So they make the first gesture, and I acknowledge it. My tenant retention rate is excellent.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

The point is that mixing with tenants isn’t the smartest thing to do.

Keep your distance because, sure as hell, the moment they get into trouble you will be the last one to get paid.

Have a managing agent as it is well worth the expense to keep a distance between yourself and the tenants.

But of course that is a bit of advice that many people will not heed.

Recognise that usually the motivation to do good is really to satisfy our own desire to feel good.

So if you want to feel good you can achieve that and much more by donating to a charity like the Salvation Army. They of all charities deserve support.

Pisces

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I am always amazed at the way people manage to justify what they do, with reasons that appear unrelated and looks on the surface to be greed.

Can’t say i know that persons history or experiences, i definately cant judge.

I am still amazed.

If everybody gave a little more, and held on a little less, what is the worst that could happen…………..you lose a couple of easter eggs.

What about the upside.. good will is exchanged, you create better tenant loyalty…world peace is slowly given a nudge.
    [rolleyesanim]

lifexperience

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I understand the point Pisces and Yack are making. I agree that, in most, if not all, cases it is a bad idea to mix with tenants.
    I am not planning to get involved with the tenants personally. I live about 6 hours away from the propery, anyway.
    But sending them some eggs without giving them my address won’t do me any harm.

My property manager takes care of the property so for me there’s no need to get involved, apart from sending them a pressie a few times a year.

But everyone is different, and everyone does what they think is best in their situation.

WHen we were renting we never got presents and didn’t expect it, but I would have loved it though.
    May be it’s because I love receiving little presents (yes big ones as well) so much, there’s nothing better than receiving a surprise parcel and ripping it open to see what’s inside.

I guess it makes me feel good to give others a surprise as well (so it might even be out of selfishness: because it makes ME feel good)!

But there’s nothing wrong with not wanting to do this, I believe.
    Everybody gives in different ways, may be not material gifts, but may be being generous with sharing information, kind words, helping people by doing little things for them.

Everybody has so much to give and it doesn’t always have to be materialisic.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

We give movie money as gifts to tenants – at a random date we pick. Simple & universal.

I would NEVER EVER give an Easter or Xmas present to a tenant.

Not everyone is a Christian. Assuming this only shows your own biases & can negate the value of the gift in certain cases.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Oh Acey,

This a little too PC for me. I lived in a Muslim country for three years and we all enjoyed celebrating every religous holiday from Hari Raya, to CNY, to Deepavali, Christmas and Easter. Everyone enjoyed the positives of each others cultures! I often thought us christians offered the least colour to the melting pot [suave2]

I think the only one who could be offended by an easter egg is the PC brigade!

Happy Easter to you and yours!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of secretgnomesecretgnome
    @secretgnome

I still don’t see how you equate giving easter eggs to one of your tenants with tenant loyalty. I think if a tenant was thinking of moving out, they wouldn’t say “but my current landlord gives me an easter egg at easter, so I think i’ll stay here just for him”.

I think you should use these sort of gestures when you can see they will have a real benefit for you as well for the tenant/property manager. I like the one about the $40 credit at the local nursery someone said.

Giving is nice, but giving and receiving is always better

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

O only ever communicate with my tenants through my property managers. And not every tenant is rewarded. As I said, it’s the ones who go out of their way.

Participant
    @celivia

I still don’t see how you equate giving easter eggs to one of your tenants with tenant loyalty. I think if a tenant was thinking of moving out, they wouldn’t say “but my current landlord gives me an easter egg at easter, so I think i’ll stay here just for him”.”

Neither do I, secretgnome. So I agree with you.
    But can’t you just give a present without expecting anything back? I don’t think you NEED to give anything, if you already give good service, i.e. make repairs ASAP, maintain the property really well etc, it is enough.
    But I just think it is NICE to give a little something and it makes ME feel good.

Aceyducey you make the point about religion, but I think people who worry about a gift being given on a Christian holiday such as Easter, are being a petty. Gee people can send me a pressie anyday they like :) no matter who’s culture holiday it is.

Would you say: “OOOOH I love chocolate, what a shame I got it on Easter, now I’m not having it on some-one elses religious holiday…”

If the world keeps thinking like that… no wonder religions are killing each other off. [axe]
    There will never be peace if people are so petty as not even to eat each other’s food on certain religious holidays!

Let’s accept each other’s differences and don’t worry about every minor thing, be happy! WHAT DOES IT REALLY MATTER???? I don’t understand!

Australia is a multi-cultural country and I think we should all respect and enjoy each other’s religious holidays.

Oh by the way, what does PC stand for, (apart from personal computer, LOL) excuse my ignorence!

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

PC = Political Correctness.

Sorry for my rant!

Happy Easter to everyone!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Sometimes, in the work I do, the people I assist come into my office and give me some chocolates or some other little thing. this is whether their matter has been resolved successfully or not. I think it is so lovely of them. They do it because they’re grateful for the assistance- I have never thought they did it to make themselves feel good. I believe they do it to make ME feel good. And it does. Many of the people I see have one or two contacts with me only, and they usually give the small gift to me AFTER the matter has concluded, so it’s not like it’s a bribe to me to give them better treatment.

Some people are just very giving. As a recipient of some small gift on occasion, I have felt SOOO happy. Why do we have to look at a motive behind giving? Not every act we do in life is selfish- sometimes we just wanna make someone else happy.

kay henry

Participant
    @celivia

Hi Kay!
    Gee nice that people bring you small gifts! I think it makes a difference to how people feel about their jobs, if they know they’re appreciated.

Yes.. what I meant is that initially I’d give someone a gift to make them feel happy or good, but it also makes the giver feel good, seeing or believing that the receiver really appreciates it.
    And I really like that feeling. That’s, I suppose what I meant by that it makes ME feel good to give.

I believe everybody probably feels like this, this satisfaction you get out of giving. Giving with the intention of making someone happy or appreciative, can -I believe- never be a bad thing.

It’s different from merely giving to expect something in return.

I’m not saying it’s wrong if people give with a motive,(there’s a place for that, too) all I’m saying is that it’s different, that you,( well, at least I,) cannot get the same good feeling of satisfaction from giving with a motif as from giving without a motive.
    It’s also a great, unbelievable good feeling, to receive a gift knowing there’s no obligation. Nothing expected in return.

This is what you probably experience in your job.

Is this all getting too complicated now? [wha]Sometimes a bit hard to express feelings and what they really mean to me.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I had a very lovely client recently send me a lottery ticket and a thank you card.

It made my day!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @celivia

Hehehe Simon, you’re too funny![party]
    But if it made your day, it made my day, too LOL![thumbsupanim]
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Celivia,

id let you be my landlord anyday… [thumbsup2]

easter… xmas… birthdays… any special occasional…. [whistle]

Cheers,
    sis

mmm… chocolate… [rolleyesanim]

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

I watched my father for years get “used” by tenants. He was a good meaning bloke and gave his tenants little gifts etc. When he became bitter about it and started to run it like a business he stopped having problems.
    I don’t give presents to my tenants. The deal is I provide good clean accommodation and speedy attendance to all repairs. Handing over a present I see as relaxing that landlord / tenant obligation. As somebody else said the landlord would end up the last paid in a situation of financial stress.
    Also, how do you think your tenant sees you making 100k in equity in a good year and you hand him $5 worth of chocolates?

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

qwerty

well summed up.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

yes, qwerty, it’s better not to give when there is bitterness behind it. i don’t see gifts as about exploitation. It’s just a nice thing- giving OR receiving. god, it’s a bit sad when a topic like this becomes about exploitation, being used, resentments tenants have because our IP gets CG etc.

I wonder how Xmas is in some of your houses. [xmas][bow][grrr][axe]

Cel, maybe you shouldn’t get your tenants some easter eggs, you selfish, selfish person! How dare you shove your newfound wealth in their faces with your measly easter egg offering. what were you thinking of? It’s all about you, isn’t it, Cel…

kay henry

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Man you’re not realistic / over emotional about this subject (bad trait for a P.I). Sure it’s nice to give your PM a box of chocolates for getting you a tenant ASAP, but portray yourself to your tenants as a professional or you WILL be used!

You need to get out more![biggrin]

Profile photo of GramyreGramyre
    @gramyre
    Originally posted by qwerty:

Man you’re not realistic / over emotional about this subject (bad trait for a P.I). Sure it’s nice to give your PM a box of chocolates for getting you a tenant ASAP, but portray yourself to your tenants as a professional or you WILL be used!

You need to get out more![biggrin]

I wonder if getting out will take her to a hotel room where they leave chocolates on the pillow for their customers, or to restaurants who provide after dinner mints gratis. Plenty of examples of chocolate giving in a professional manner.

chocolate mmmm [inlove]

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.