All Topics / General Property / Who would invest on the Free Trade Agreement?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

So if the Free Trade Agreement is accepted in both countries, who here would look to invest in property in the areas of greatest gains in the Agreement? Some agricultural areas will surely receive a boost to their local economy as will some of our manufacturing and mining interests.

Personally, I am waiting for the whole process to actually start (with the first part being the actual ratification of the Agreement).

Profile photo of ghotibghotib
    @ghotib

Personally I am not interested in investing in property in the USA.

Ghoti

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

Either that was a joke post or you have gotten the wrong idea (or firmly believe that only the US will get something out of it).

Either way I gather from your answer it would be a No.

Profile photo of ghotibghotib
    @ghotib

OK it was a flip way of stating a serious general opinion. Sticking firmly to property implications, I think you need to restate your criteria. Something like:

What areas – geographical or industrial – in Australia will gain from an FTA with the US? Of those areas, which ones do you think would both (a) not gain from trade with the US in the absence of an FTA, and (b) not gain from trade with other parts of the world? Of those areas, which ones do you think are so certain to gain as a result of the FTA that the gain influences your investment decision.

I can’t think of any – which doesn’t mean they don’t exist and maybe you can. Still, when I look at prospects for growing export industries, I think they’re better if the focus is more on countries in “Rest of the World”.

As to the FTA in general, I think the pain for Australia as a whole is likely to be much greater than the gain. Nothing’s all bad, or all good for that matter, and you or I might find a way to make it work for us. But IMO it would still be a bad deal for the country.

Peace

Ghoti

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.