All Topics / Opinionated! / What I Didnt Learn at School, But Wished i Had?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by Chan$:

It would be nice if school subject does have ‘basic investment’ for all students. Then students be able to learn the basic things instead of have to wait ’til finished uni to aquire this knowledge themself if they choose too.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

I haven’t quoted Chan$ here to necessarily highlight his comments but rather to say ‘don’t leave everything to schools’ and that schools have also been teaching messages about ‘no smoking, healthy living, no drinking, etc’ with little impact for large numbers of students.

The education process (to be successful long term) has to be a joint effort. Some learning at school and reinforcement at home.

I can assure people we (teaching fraternity collectively) can often pinpoint the ‘problem child’ at 4 year old kindy with a high probability of success.

A broadbrushed statement but – I would also contend that a number of teachers have little understanding of money management and basic investment principles – a regular salary, secure employment and often with a healthy superannuation system make for some lazy habits – and by default are not necessarily equipped to ‘teach investing’

Derek
    [email protected]

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email welcome.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Derek,

I totally agreed with. In my previous messages it was not intent to realise totally to school, but learn the basic things like investing terms.

I think you make a great points:

The education process (to be successful long term) has to be a joint effort. Some learning at school and reinforcement at home.

I can assure people we (teaching fraternity collectively) can often pinpoint the ‘problem child’ at 4 year old kindy with a high probability of success.

A broadbrushed statement but – I would also contend that a number of teachers have little understanding of money management and basic investment principles – a regular salary, secure employment and often with a healthy superannuation system make for some lazy habits – and by default are not necessarily equipped to ‘teach investing’

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Derek said

<<<<<<I can assure people we (teaching fraternity collectively) can often pinpoint the ‘problem child’ at 4 year old kindy with a high probability of success. >>>>>>

I have a 3 and a 4 year old at kinder. What should I be looking for?????

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Yack,

Of paramount importance are the little tykes spoken language skills. Are they able to have an age appropriate conversation? Is their speech intelligible? Do they enjoy talking to people? Are they able to listen for age appropriate periods of time? Do they demonstrate a capacity to stay on task for age appropriate periods of time? Do they relate well to other kids? Are their gross and fine motor skills age appropriate? Are they inquisitive? Hearing and visual acuity? Can they retell simple stories? Does world war three erupt whenever they are around? Can they follow a couple of instructions?

Above all the very best thing you can do is talk, listen, read and play with them – the TV is a cheap but lousy babysitting service.

Derek
    [email protected]

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email welcome.

Profile photo of CarLoverCarLover
    Participant
    @carlover

Like many others, I wish I had learned about investing, finances, and the many ways to make a living.

I agree with what Robert Kyiosaki says about the subject, that it is sad that so many people come out of school with only one thought: find a job. That included me a while ago.

I’m only starting on becoming less dependant on a job. I wish I had started a long time ago.

CarLover.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

SIS i had to crack up at your comment ‘sleep to much in class’.

I did that myself alot in computer classes, i’m sure my teacher wrote on the report that i slept well in class.

If anything i suppose, i wish i had of learnt more about English sentence structures, gramma and paragraphing.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Oh quickly before I go to sleep I want to say that when I was at school, one day one of the girls took a jar of sleeping tablets to school that she had stolen from her Gran’s drawer.
    As a practical joke, the whole class took a sleeping tablet, or even 2 I think as there were plenty to go around!
    Isn’t that irresponsible, but it was SO MUCH fun because we were all asleep or half asleep during lessons later in the morning, some were even snoring loudly, and the teachers were really annoyed and shouting at us, but we were too brain-dead to care! It was so much fun! All our parents were called to take us home, but all my Mum had was a bike (pushbike, not a HD as you might hope) and I was hopping on the back of her bike, it was so funny!
    THe trouble we got into!

Profile photo of blondie_becblondie_bec
    Participant
    @blondie_bec

I actually left school in year 11….when I told my year co-ordinator that I was leaving (to pursure a career as a chef) she just about died and said….
    “but you HAVE to go to uni!!! What will you do if you don’t go to uni? You should stay and go to uni… you have to!!” and then something along the lines of I won’t get anywhere if I don’t go to Uni.
    My cousin spent 4 long years studying architecture in uni and she still hasn’t got a job! I am in real estate, on my way to investing and planning to retire at 30!!!
    EAT S*@T MRS WATEVER YOUR NAME WAS!!!!

I think would be good to teach money management so that fewer of us get caught in credit traps and learn how to budget our money for life ahead…. and perhaps motivational stuff so that kids know that no matter how unfortunate they are (I was cursed with a loud mouth… kicked out of many a class for chatting!) there is always a future for them and that anyone can get anywhere all they gotta do is try!

Blondie[cowboy]

You’ll never know if you don’t give it a go!

Profile photo of blondie_becblondie_bec
    Participant
    @blondie_bec

I can’t think of anything worse for a childs start out in life than pinpointing them as a “problem child” from the age of 4!!!!

-Blondie[cowboy]

You’ll never know if you don’t give it a go!

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Bec,

Don’t confuse being able to identify kids at a young age and doing nothing to assist them.

While we can identify the kids we certainly do spend an inordinate amount of time trying to work with parents to assist the little tyke.

Without fail every year goes by and my staff have and continue to say to me at the end of the year – I wish I could have done more for ‘Mary’ or ‘Johnny’ – attempts to identify and rectify social, psychological, emotional, behavioural and educational matters are significant and ongoing throughout a year.

We also often find that there are a number of other organisations involved with the same family – health department, child welfare, family counselling services, police department, housing department and so on – the list can be seemingly endless at times.

The Australian Governments (both parties) have, for a long time, maintained their financial focus on secondary schools as this sector has the greatest level of voter attraction.

Despite the best efforts of the Australian Primary Principals’ Association (Govt, Private & Independent Schools) to change this way of thinking to an ‘invest in the early years’ approach the governments have maintained the focus on secondary schools. State governments also follow this mantra with their $ and people resourcing levels at school which considerably favour secondary schools.

In recent years the Canadian and English Governments have consciously shifted their focus to an ‘investment focus’ and looked at the needs of 0-8 year olds.

The results have been nothing short of amazing with considerable sums of money being ‘saved’ because the complex issues we cuurently get faced with are being rectified sooner rather than later.

Anyone who has got kids in primary schools should be making sure this message is heard by their respective federal and state politicians.

On a site note I notice Paul Clitheroe has been appointed to chair a body looking at the matter of ‘financial education’ – there is an article in this months Money magazine.

Derek
    [email protected]

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email me.

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

I dont think that people understand schooling.
    It is not what they teach or dont teach thats important.Students will often say I dont need this or that subject etc because it wont apply to me .
    What is important is YOUR ABILITY TO LEARN.This is what they are teaching you at school.HOW TO LEARN.The ability to read and write and therefore be able to go on after your schooling and learn about what you are actually interested in.
    Russ

So many +CF properties in Western Australia.Let me help you. And we can achieve a win win situation.Russ.0438 659 411

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

My recolection wasn’t about being taught to learn…….It was more about learning to be “Told what to do”.

Most people are bred and cut their teeth on the slave mentality, instead of being inspired to realise that the edge of the universe is the limit!

My school was draconian and backward to say the least, but aside from that I can say I used that oppression to inspire myself, to never want to be “like them” and I started my first business when I was 19, I have had a few here and there but will never have a boss………except the good lady..

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….”

Profile photo of TzakiTzaki
    @tzaki

Definately something on how to nivest/analyse deals etc.. even if it was just playing casflow 101

Steve Kerr

Opportunity knocks softly, listen carefully!

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

I agree with BEAR1964 and Tzaki.

Richest Man in Babylon should be required reading.

Cashflow 101 should be played during lunch breaks etc. All I did at school was play Doom over the school network and in later years played Blackjack for real money.

Imagine if I had learnt real world stuff. Ooohh the possibilities…….

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Im glad I learnt what I did learn…nothing…so now I can explore the world…If I learnt these things at school, I couldn;t learn them now – so what would I be doing…never learning…[confused2]

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

…hey again…I thought that if I learnt everything about investing at school, how would I talk and learn from all you wonderful[biggrin] people….ooohhhh…[blush2]

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of corpyyycorpyyy
    Participant
    @corpyyy

Hi,
    I’m still in High School and already I can see some things I’d have liked to have seen being taught;

• Financial Literacy;
    • Life is played as a team-sport;
    • Life is not over if you do not get a UAI of 99.95

It’s not as important that students have ‘Property Investing Basics 101’ thrust upon them as it’s not for everyone, but what i believe should have been more of a key focus in younger years (Years 7-8) is the basics of accounting, and accountability for our spending habits (I am talking here about this nation’s Credit Card binging) – The point was raised in ‘From 0 to 100 Properties in 3.5 Years‘:
    For the first time since figures were recorded, in March 2003 the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported that household spending had outstripped household incomes (p18)

In saying that ‘Life is played as a team-sport’, my point is that although the attitude of individual students is to be better than those around them (promoted by the way that the New South Wales HSC is organised) and there’s nothing wrong with some healthy competition, I’ve seen in the common room of a lunchtime all too often some students getting picked on for being seen by others as inadequate (whether it’s for academic, sporting, social reasons etc).
    Hell yeah this is bullying, and sometimes school just promotes nasty behaviour and/or selfishness (maybe this is enhanced by going to a private school, but i doubt it when i’ve been to 5 different schools both public and private). I think i should have renamed that dot-point to ‘Understanding + Tolerance’.

I think the third point is pretty self-explanatory as we’ve already seen some examples in this thread from blondie_bec.

Mysta:

My recolection wasn’t about being taught to learn…….It was more about learning to be “Told what to do”.

I’d say that’s because school is mainly there as a means of streamlining youngsters all over the country to be similar in abilities (at least in the primary years before electives come into the equation) so they can be shaped into good employees in the future. It’s then no wonder we have people coming out of these institutions thinking only of employment?

I thought that if I learnt everything about investing at school, how would I talk and learn from all you wonderful people….ooohhhh…

geo – I am 17 years old and read ‘Rich Dad Poor Dad‘ when i was about 9 or 10 and fell in love with the ideas of big business and investing, dedicating a lot of my time to it ever since. If you could cram everything there is to know about investing into a course for school, my hat goes off to you cause I have a feeling I’ll be learning more and more for the rest of my natural life.

Lastly, a friend approached me in tears as he was worried about his own future. All I could say was ‘Mate, it’s not the mark you get at the end of the day but the person you become’ – I only hope this was good advice?

Apologies for the mini-essay (and to think i am meant to be on school holidays [hmm]), I figured with this being my first post I’d let you see what I was about as well.

– Matt

Profile photo of TzakiTzaki
    @tzaki

Welcome Matt, have fun in the forum!

I believe that the oportunity to learn investing skills should be offered, not a compulsory subject which I hated doing and generally forgot as they had little practical everyday application.. I have never used calculus in real life!

That way those who had an interest could learn about the subject and meet and talk to like minded people.

just my 2cents

Steve Kerr

Opportunity knocks softly, listen carefully!

Profile photo of corpyyycorpyyy
    Participant
    @corpyyy
    That way those who had an interest could learn about the subject and meet and talk to like minded people.

You mean something like this forum? haha, cheers for the welcome.

Profile photo of web_tycoonweb_tycoon
    @web_tycoon

I wish I was helped to learn more and harder. I just cruised through school, didnt have to study much to get the grades I needed.

This self discipline issue and impatience was I think the main reason I dropped out of uni.

– Jaco

I only buy new property

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.