All Topics / General Property / “domino theory”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

From a discussion on http://www.somersoft.com/forums.. the comments are from PT Bear…

“When you have a line of dominos and the first falls over, it pushes the next one over, which pushes the next one and so on. If the dominos are arranged in a pattern, the entire pattern gets pushed over. It looks really cool.

In the context of the property market, this might have a similar behaviour. If one area does something, the surrounding areas feel the effects. As the effect on the first area increases, the surrounding areas also feel greater effect. Then the next lot of surrounding areas start to feel a similar effect and so on.

Because of the pattern of localities in the propterty market, it’s often more like the ripples in a pond.

It’s also really cool, because if you can see the effect and the direction it’s moving, it may give some indication of what’s going to happen in an area where the effect is yet to reach.

Prices started going up quickly in inner city areas (< 7 km from CBD) of the capital cities about 4-8 years ago. Before long, prices in the next range started to follow the price increase and thus the price increase rippled outwards, even to country areas.”

If that’s along the lines of SIS’s domino theory (and I don’t know if it) I’ve been practicing it for a while…

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

so are you looking back at inner city again?

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

“When you have a line of dominos and the first falls over, it pushes the next one over, which pushes the next one and so on. If the dominos are arranged in a pattern, the entire pattern gets pushed over. It looks really cool.

this is sorta on the same line, but think linear…

… though what was describe is, is a way to predict a boom, but not really close to “domino effect”

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Use equity from paid off PPOR to buy IP1,
    then use equity from IP1 to buy IP2,
    then use equity from IP2 to buy IP3, etc…

closer?

@still-in-school

Hi Richmond,

close again, but think linear…

…your idea is great, but looks a bit like cross collateralisation…

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Participant
    @richmond
    Participant
    @richmond

I’ll ponder it over a few beers as I watch the Tigers destroy Collingwood and get back to you all tomorrow…

Cheers
    r

Participant
    @richmond

Personally I’m using LOC against PPOR to make purchases that equate to 100% finance, LOC covers 20% deposit and 5% costs, and then taking separate loans for extra 80% … then our salaries go back into LOC to keep it nice and healthy. All loans are stand alone, not cross collaterised. We’re about a month away from having our LOC chock full again, once it’s there we’ll have approval to get finance that will leave us with between $1.5 to 2 mill to spend… I’m sure our way is no different to what a lot of people are doing.

Cheers
    r

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

but wiat, there’s more! you two!

The only thing constant is change

The only difference between a weed and a flower is a judgement

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

BTW- The specific Somersoft thread in point is here: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15015

And the person who should be credited with the comments is PT_Bear.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of kalonikaloni
    @kaloni
    Originally posted by richmond:

I’ll ponder it over a few beers as I watch the Tigers destroy Collingwood and get back to you all tomorrow…

Cheers
    r

26/3/2004 19:40 Richmond 9 9 63 3rd Qtr 18:00 4 4 28 Collingwood
    Hopefully it will finish the same margin Go The Tiges

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Look like the domino effect getting longer and Richmond can’t have enough of it…LoL

SIS,
    I think Richmond on the right track. Maybe you should give him some hints, otherwise he can’t sleep tonight…LoL

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

how about this for a domino. You have 5 properties, ‘offset geared’ or whatever. You have a problem with one of them, which could be that you can’t get a tenant, or there is a maintenance issue, and for one reason or another, you need a quick sale. Trouble is, if you sell, even if you come out Ok with the price at fire-sale prices, there is capital gains tax to pay plus a fee for discharging the loan early. So you’re stuffed if you sell, and stuffed if you don’t. No way to refinance, as last time you refinanced, it was top of a boom, and not only are banks tightening their exposure in the case of LVRs, but hedging against values going down further, and besides, prices are slightly down anyway, not to mention borrowing costs higher.

So the domino effect says that if the property portfolio is too highly geared or whatever or too ‘rent reliant’ or a person has an unexpected expense or something happens in their life which means they get behind, they might not only – by having to sell at the wrong ‘time’ in the market cycle – by the domino effect not only lose one property but the whole lot.

So how would the bank let you get in that situation? You just keep starting companies as corporate trustees going guarantor for a trust buying a property. Some ‘legal scam’ which means an individual who couldn’t possibly borrow that much as one entity is able to borrow and borrow and gear and gear because of some loophole.

Am i close?

@still-in-school
    Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by richmond:

From a somersoft discussion

In the context of the property market, this might have a similar behaviour. If one area does something, the surrounding areas feel the effects. As the effect on the first area increases, the surrounding areas also feel greater effect. Then the next lot of surrounding areas start to feel a similar effect and so on.

Because of the pattern of localities in the propterty market, it’s often more like the ripples in a pond.

It’s also really cool, because if you can see the effect and the direction it’s moving, it may give some indication of what’s going to happen in an area where the effect is yet to reach.

Prices started going up quickly in inner city areas (< 7 km from CBD) of the capital cities about 4-8 years ago. Before long, prices in the next range started to follow the price increase and thus the price increase rippled outwards, even to country areas.”

If that’s along the lines of SIS’s domino theory (and I don’t know if it) I’ve been practicing it for a while…

Cheers
    r

Richmond..

I always new this effect to be the ‘RIPPLE EFFECT’ as described here regarding property prices going up in one area, be it inner city or a new/large developement or new infrastructure going up, this affected prices in the immediate area, which slowly caused neighbouring suburbs to increase in value, and so on and so forth..

As for S.i.S ‘Domino Effect’.. sorry no help, but curious also[blink]

I’ve thought ‘Laterally before..thinking Linear ??’ HELP….

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Sis, I’ll have a quick guess as well.
    May be it doesn’t have anything to do with the physical properties as such, more with your actions? E.g. the first thing you do (e.g. research on an area and the property prices within)) has an effect on the next thing you do (e.g. deciding on your offer amount), which has an effect on your taxation benefits, which has an effect on what you can spend on your next property and so on?

I’m probably far of-course here but wanted a guess anyway![blush2]

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

The perfect nipple i mean ripple.

[baaa]
    Dom

@still-in-school
    Participant
    @richmond

Point taken Aceydeucey… I’ll change it. I agree with the politeness issue.

ps redwing, I knew it as ripple effect too…

Cheers
    r

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.