All Topics / Help Needed! / Partnership Agreement

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi,

I have a business partner that I started this Property Investing with. We’re trying to put an agreement together – I wrote one up that is reasonable.

Steve in his book says that he and Dave have a goal to achieve by May 2004. My partner is saying to me know, “What If one of us leaves the partnership, can we make the company insolvent?” I am sensing that he is not serious anymore becuase he always mentions the issue about leaving the partnership. I am confused about this agreement now. For me, its easy to do (I mean all the info that is) – I just joined with him so can put in 50% of the money so we can buy more properties – yet I do all the investing and research and talking with solicitors, accountants and bankers. Not too sure what to do with this partnership. Any help much appreciated.

And if anyone is starting up in Vic or other states and wants a bus. partner, email me – I’d like to start this up with someone who is enthusiastic about this as I am for the long-term. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
    George.

If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Geo,
    I think you might be wise to consider a unit trust for partnership purposes. Makes it easier to manage people entering and leaving the partnership.

Do a search on this forum and http://www.somersoft.com and you will get some good information.

James

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Thanks James,

your help is kindly appreciated.

I was just on the phone with the solicitor – he mentioned about a Hybrid or Unit Trust instead of a Discretionary Trust. Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
    George.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi George

You can get a partnership agreement for about $220 at
    http://www.lawcentral.com.au

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

thanks again Terry – your a wealth of knowledge.

Kind Regards,
    George.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

George I have been involved in three partnerships, only one had a written partnership and this was ok. I did one only for ATO as a partnership.
    The other partnerships were agreed to verbally, and these worked equally well. though for taxation purposes any income earnt was split and we included this on individual tax returns, all legit.

I think for safety having said the above that even if you know people, better to be safe than sorry, make it written, both to agree at the time and have out clauses. People’s lives change and they need to have some movement.

It is hard to find people of like mind and so motivated, but for future reference, and based on your own experience, you know that it can be onesided. I suggest that the goals and plans are written and that each person is allocated tasks, maybe the other person lost interest because you took over? or took control?

Maybe they got bored becuase it got too hard, or because you did all the work and took all the credit and they didnt have a chance?

At the end of the day only you and the partner know what went on, everyone likes to feel they are contributing but you do get those that sit back and do nothing….

cheers

Elves

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

thanks elves

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.