All Topics / General Property / Investing in NZ

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of nmcacenmcace
    Participant
    @nmcace

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help – I’m thinking of investing in New Zealand, and wasn’t sure if there are any “foreign investment” considerations – eg additional taxes, levies, etc that the NZ government charges non-resident investors.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

please search the forum you will find the answers about NZ.

Cheers
    [:)]
    PropertyGuRu
    [sultan]

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi nmcace

Use the search function. There is a wealth of info about NZ.

Also try http://www.propertytalk.co.nz which also caters for Australian investors.

A number of PI forumites are also regular contributors to PT.

Regards

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi

heres your answer…

there is NO Stamp Duty nor Capital gains Tax – isn’t that great…go ahead an invest there…[biggrin]there are some real good deals…i’m planning to head there myself in the next 3 weeks and try to secure a property.

Kind Regards,
    George.

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

hI again,

just another thought…

what most ppl do is open a Trust account in NZ separte from their investments in Australia – that way there is no additional taxes imposed on you by Australa. The one thing about the NZ government in regards to foreign investors is that it is very very hard – in fact, I believe impossible for you to obtain a loan from Australia – like the CBA – for an investment in NZ. Either way – you can do further research into this by just calling the Taxation office – im sure they are awre of the tax considerations pertaing to NZ aswell or they can gconnect you with the Tazation office of NZ.

Best of luck.

Kind Regards.
    George.

If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi George,
    It is possible to gain finance from Australia for investing in NZ, with an 80/20 lend you can also use the NZ property as security over the loan.
    Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    Victoria

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Steven,

that is interesting that you mentioned that – but what happens if you do not have a property in NZ and you are looking to purchase your first property over there, can you still purchase it with 20% down and 80% from a loan within Australia?

Kind Regards,
    george.

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi George,
    Yes no problem, You pay the 20% deposit and the intended NZ investment purchase is the 80% security required.
    Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    Victoria

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

My bank said they would lend for overseas markets.
    They have a section that deals with international properties which means it would be taken out of my bank managers hands and I didnt like that. I get on well direct with him.

He came up with this solution, he checked my investments and worth, offered me a line of credit that I can use as I wanted….not sure at this stage if this is the way I want to go, but it gives me the funds to draw on should I want.

Elves

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Everyone is always touting that NZ is stamp duty and CGT free. Very true, but for new investors enquiries, I think it only fair to say that you may pay no CGT in NZ when you do your NZ tax return, but the ATO will sure as eggs get the CGT here in Australia when you do your Aussie return. Some of us are purchasing in trusts thats true, BUT using a trust DOES NOT avoid tax in Australia, it simply means that the tax return is done for the trust in Australia, instead of in your personal name. I am sure that that’s what people are describing here, but it is not clear to someone who is not familiar with NZ investing.

Regarding finance, yep, some of the brokers on the forum are offering Aus based finance secured against NZ properties. The other way to go is simply put down the 20% deposit (most NZ lenders will require that of you as Aussie) from your Aust base, and lend the 80% remainder in NZ with an NZ bank. Very easy to organise lending in NZ over the internet/email/phone, once you identify a bank there you want to deal with.
    Cheers
    CD

Castle Dreamer

(You’ll never go wrong if you never go anywhere – have a go!”

Profile photo of Matt BMatt B
    @matt-b

Hi CD,
    Going through Steve from Mobile Mortgage Market (blatant plug[biggrin]), I’ve used an Australian based lender to finance my NZ property purchases. This lender has also been used by some of my friends, who went through different brokers, for NZ properties. In my limited experience, the rates provided by this lender are significantly better than most NZ based lenders I’ve seen. NZ seems to have somewhat higher interest rates than Australia at the moment.
    Matt

Profile photo of nmcacenmcace
    Participant
    @nmcace

Thanks for everyone’s responses. So am I right in assuming that there’s no actual disincentive to keep foreign investors out – eg a foreign investors tax or something along those lines.

Not having stamp duty certainly seems to make it that little bit easier to find +ve geared properties…

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

“NZ seems to have somewhat higher interest rates than Australia at the moment.

Matt B, yeah that’s right, so at the moment if you could get a LOC secured against an Aus property and go buy a NZ CF+ve property with the cash, you’d be winning.

However i did read an article on dolf de roos’s site (lots to read there, dolfderoos.com) that he recommends hedging against currency fluctuations by getting finance in the same country as the property. (apart from deposits.)

So i figure you could go for it here in the meantime while it’s working for you, fix the rates here or whatever, but if it starts to work against you , you could always refinance in NZ after the fact. that’s the great thing about LOC’s which is the flexibility.

As far as investing in NZ as a foreigner, there are restrictions only above 10 million, for beachfront or islands, on lifestyle blocks. For residential property it’s fine.

from

http://www.oic.govt.nz

Q3. When is consent required?

An overseas person requires consent to acquire or take control of 25 percent or more of:

* businesses or property in New Zealand worth more than $50 million;

* land over 5 hectares and/or worth more than $10 million;

* any land on most off-shore islands;

* land over 0.4 hectares which includes or adjoins certain sensitive areas (for example, on specified islands, reserves, historic or heritage areas, or lakes);

* land over 0.2 hectares which includes or adjoins the foreshore.

NZ does actually have CG tax if you are trading, but not if the tax dept thinks your intention was to buy and hold.

“At present neither stamp duty nor estate duty apply to residential property in New Zealand. Because of the difficulties in distinguishing the intention behind the purchase of a property – income or capital gain – effective taxation has been impracticable.

…” relative to other activities, residential property in NZ is lightly taxed. As a result this asset class is advantaged compared with other – and potentially more productive – activities.

……

here’s a good link about tax and property in NZ

TAXATION IMPLICATIONS OF INVESTING IN NEW ZEALAND

http://www.queenstownproperty.com/taxation_information.html

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

thanks Mini and Steve

you guys make things so much easier to understand. God Bless.

Kind Regards,
    George.

Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi again,
    I have decided to lend only 20% to my trust and borrow the rest in NZ – precisely for reasons Mini stated – hedging against currency fluctuations – I prefer the idea of having my lending in the same currency as the property owned.

Hi Matt, what sort of interest rates are you getting – I’ve got option of 6.79% in NZ lending for a property I just went unconditional on – and I can lend 5 years interest only repayments with or without LOC option then. (I want IO loans at this stage as I have a PPOR to pay off).

CastleDreamer

@matt-b

Hi CD,
    Ok, you beat me [blush2] My rates recently went up to 6.85%. I also have the option of interest only for 10 years and a LOC. Like you, I’m going IO in order to pay off my PPOR. It looks like you’ve found some of the best rates in NZ [thumbsupanim] I did say my rates were cheaper than “most” NZ lenders, but obviously not all[biggrin] Care to share the name of your lender?
    Thanks,
    Matt

Participant
    @castledreamer

Matt,
    lender is Westpac, but if you try the front door, they will tell you that they only lend to O/S investors who put down 50K per property – which is not much good if you intend to purchase a 40K property!!!! Its also not much good for chewing up deposits.

I am happy to give you some specifics about my NZ lender if you PM me.
    Cheers
    CD[computer]

CastleDreamer

@matt-b

Hi CD,
    Thanks for the tip. Yep, I’d heard something along the lines of the $50k down thing. PM on the way …
    Thanks,
    Matt

Profile photo of OzboyOzboy
    @ozboy

Can the 20% be done with a deposit bond/Bank guarantee?

Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi Ozboy,
    NZ agents I have dealt with have all wanted a 10% deposit when contract goes unconditional. You could get a deposit bond for that deposit, but the 20% I am talking about is the 20% “cash/LOC funds/whatever” that you put into the deal so the bank only lends you 80% of the purchase price of the property. My understanding is that a deposit bond is simply for the deposit, so not for the actual cash down at settlment
    Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.