All Topics / Opinionated! / How stupid and irresponsible can one get ?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by aussierogue:

pisces – the fact that you think you have seen things and know things others havent is interesting. why do you assume that the rest of us sit in armchairs..

my family is no stranger to the ravages of war, poverty etc

I am from poverty and civil wars background as well.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by richmond:

So what’s the answer to “doing more” then Pisces? Walk around looking over our shoulders all the time? I don’t know the answer myself…

And what relevance does this have to the discussion?: horrible stories like a young boy being shot in the street and left to rot all because he stole some food.

A lot of us have our stories Pisces, as aussierogue said, don’t assume we’re all sitting in armchairs.

r

totally agreed!

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by Pelicaninvestments:

Oh Brother….. !!

Calm down folks….. lets try and discuss the issues rationally…..

And, please no attacks against each other…

This IS a topic that should be talked about, but without the anger….

PEACE GUYS <=> Calm down…………….

Let calm down here….[drummer][guitar][strum]

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by BlackJack:

[argue][agro][agro2]

People… [love]

Chill [smoking]

I like this!

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars

hey y’all

Rest assured there’s plenty of love in the room down south in Melbourne. [cigar]
    r

good to hear! [juggle]

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by Pelicaninvestments:

Welcome to the Jerry Springer Show…. Aussie edition……

[jerry]

[lmao]

Scott

Pelican Investments
    http://www.pelican-invest.com

should called it opreh (can’t spell) instead?

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Profile photo of WAFWAF
    @waf

When i first joined the forum I looked at the amount of posts some people have and translated this into how much knowledge that particular person may have about the subject matter (property investing). Look at the posts above mine. How wrong I was.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

WAF,

Don’t be too hard on these folks. They are just trying to chill this topic out a bit. I personally think playfulness is not such a bad thing. There’s a child in us all, no?

kay henry

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

WAF,

I think you need to remember which part of the forum you are in…. this is the OPINIONATED area… where we come and talk about all sorts of things, yell, scream, kick, argue like hell, but at the end of it all, we still talk to each other about our main passion….. PROPERTY INVESTING !!!!

e.g. Pisces and I were arguing here on the forum, but at the same time, I was sharing some bank info thru email….

Take it all with a pinch of salt mate….. this IS the area where we go for it !!

CHAN$…. you POST IT NOTE you…… trying to bump yr post count up……….

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

I work for National Nine News. We report day to day events and we do it as accurately and objectively as we can.

Richmond and Pisces

I do not wish to wage into this war of words between you and Pisces. Nor do I want to berate either of you for your own opinions that you have eloquently remonstrated.

I do wish to question Channel 9 news on one thing though.

I’m sure I would not be alone in being slightly more worried about our security here in Australia after the bombings in Madrid. In fact the media (rightly or wrongly) have made sure ‘terrorism’ is one of the first stories on the news. It’s good to be aware of what is happening around the globe in regards to this but I am not sure if maybe you guys (some media) are taking it to the extreme occasionally. Al-Qaeda’s mode is to try and terrorise and scare countries, they do not need any help.

Now to my small ‘beef’ with Channel 9.

The news tonight ran with the story on the alleged Al-Qaeda statement saying that a number of countries were named as targets. The screen flashed up an excerpt from the statement showing the countries that would be targeted were ‘Australia, etc, etc’. My problem with this is that the actual statement said:

“Our brigades are now preparing for a fresh strike. Will it be the turn of Japan, America, Italy, Britain, the al-Sauds, Australia …?” it warned.

So why did Channel 9 put Australia in front of these other countries in their story (both 6.30pm and later news)? Do you not think that some viewers may interpret that as Australia being the most important target to Al-Qaeda?

Would I be correct in saying that Channel 9 were trying to sensationalise this story to pretend that Australia were the first target on their list?

As I said, Al-Qaeda do not need any help in scaring some sections of our community. These sorts of misquotes I think are unnecessary.

Maybe I am being silly, but I guess my opinion is OK here isn’t it.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Rugbyfan,

A very good point…. I guess this is never gonna stop is it ??

A localising of content perhaps ?? to scare us all ??

I’d say we are down on the list as far as priorities go…. Britain, and Saudi’s are bigger fish methinks……

We all agree that 9/11 was a bad thing… but sheesh… has it gotten better or worse since then ? and why ???

Then we take one step back. what caused 9/11 ?? Not enough space on the web for that debate…………..

Intolerance of others…………….. and their beliefs….

God/allah/whoever help us all….

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi guys,

It’s 7.41am at the minute, when i get in to work I’ll have a look at the scripts that our Sydney bulletin ran so I know what you’re talking about… in fact, I’ll cut and paste them so you know exactly what Jim Waley read.

Cheers
    r

Participant
    @richmond

This is the verbatim script that ran on 9 in Sydney last night…

[ReadRate:18]
    But first tonight.. the same arm of Al Qaeda which has claimed responsibility for the Spanish train bombings, has sent an alarming “letter” to an Arabic newspaper — with a direct “threat” to Australia.

[TAKE: VO]
    |(VO)|

Published in Dubai, it talks about “America’s lackeys” … including Australia, saying: “Learn your lesson… the brigades of death are at your gates.”

While impossible to “verify”, it has prompted THIS from the Federal Government.

[TAKE: UPSOT
    AT: 15’07’17”
    TO: 15’07’21”
    DURATION:0’04”]
    |(UPSOT)|
    |<4″ .. Most Australians are never going to bow to threats and blackmail and pressure from Al Qaeda>|

A view backed up by Sydney’s Muslim “leader”.

[TAKE: UPSOT
    AT: 15’58’14”
    TO: 15’58’20”
    DURATION:0’06”]
    |(UPSOT)|
    |<6″ .. We reject crazy nation targeting the security of this nation>|

This is Melbourne’s version:

[Notes:HITCH KEY (HIS HIT-LIST)]
    [ReadRate:18]
    Meanwhile Australia features prominently on a new list of countries singled out for retaliation by terrorists.

A statement attributed to al Qaeda,

[TAKE: VO]
    |(VO)|
    [CG at 0’10”:#6010 Top LeftAFGHANISTAN ]

… and delivered to an Arab daily newspaper in Dubai, warns America’s so-called lackeys they’ll be struck with an iron fist.

It tells them to “learn your lesson.. the brigades of death are at your gates”.

The threat was issued as evidence emerged the U.S. missed an opportunity to kill Osama bin Laden.

Pictures taken by an unmanned spy plane show the world’s most wanted man at an al-Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan.. a year before the attack on the World Trade Centre.

[TAKE: LOSE VTR]
    |(LOSE VTR)|

In terms of news judgement, if Australia is mentioned in something like this, it is the “peg”
    that the whole thing should centre around… it’s obviously the main point of interest for our viewers, so that’s why it gains prominence.

Cheers
    r

Participant
    @richmond

Also, I checked the graphic Rugbyfan referred to, and it wasn’t held up as a direct quote of the Al Qaeda letter…

“America’s lackeys” had quotation marks, to indicate a direct quote, then the countries were listed, and yes, Australia was at the head for the reasons I pointed out in my previous post…

“learn your lesson.. the brigades of death are at your gates” was also directly quoted, hence the quotation marks.

I can see where Rugbyfan is coming from, but it wasn’t done to “scare” anyone… we have no control over every person’s interpretation, so it comes down to the individual…

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of ghotibghotib
    @ghotib

“I can see where Rugbyfan is coming from, but it wasn’t done to “scare” anyone… we have no control over every person’s interpretation, so it comes down to the individual…”

On the other hand, Richmond, part of the newsroom’s professional skill is to know your audience. That knowledge is one of the critical influences on how stories are selected, written, presented, and followed up. If it weren’t, you wouldn’t have the ratings you consistently do.

Ghoti

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Participant
    @richmond

Hi ghotib

Good point.. by and large we know our audience well I think… but like I said we don’t have control on how everyone interprets things… and we don’t try and scare people, we just report things that come up…

cheers
    r

Participant
    @jetdollars

Richmond,

Now I assume it is you who deleted my posted!

whyd do you do that? do you have any manner?

I assume you don’t because you just don’t give any reason of why you deleted my posted.

why do you do that?

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars

go on delete it again!

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by BlackJack:

[argue][agro][agro2]

People… [love]

Chill [smoking]

why didn’t you delete this as well?

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars

hey y’all

Rest assured there’s plenty of love in the room down south in Melbourne. [cigar]
    r

bullshit! liar! Telling shit!

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.