All Topics / General Property / Rent to brothers girlfriend!!!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Yes, I did this once. I am in vic.

She was working part time and studying and recently out of a marriage and other agents would not rent to her as she had no real income to support rent.

I thought she was ok and was prepared to give her a chance.

To protect myself, I insisted she rent with my property manager. She filled out the application and I said let her in.

Anyway, she signed a 12 month lease and all was well. My brother and her slpit up. She then signed another 12 month lease. After 4 months, her and her new boyfriend give notice to break lease, hand in keys and go to Qld. She agreed to pay rent till a new tenant is found.

My property manager says after they hand in keys they still get their bond and you need to recover lost rent via tribunal.

It took 8 weeks to find a new tenant. She disconnected mobile phone and we have had no replies from her forwarding address.

So now I lost rent – I dont care. But what I do want is her details on the rental database and a ruling against her by the tribunal and an agency chasing her for rent. Therefore she will have a bad credit rating.

Anyway, I am prepared to give a person a chance but if they dont hold their end of the deal then I will do what I can within the law to make it difficult for her in the future. eg. bad credit record.

Lessons learnt – well I did plan for the worst by using a property manager and not doing it direct.

Anyways – just a tale…….Anyone done anything similar!!!!!

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Yack,
    To get her details on this tenancy database, do you need to do this, or does this happen automatically after the tribunal judgement.

I wonder whether many agents currently use this or indeed have access to these types of databases.

James

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I understand its something the agents/property managers do. They agents tell me they have already added her to the database.

But I want her to get a credit record black mark, so I need to go to the tribunal and get a judgement against her and then get a credit agency to chase her for the debt.

@woodsman

Once you get a judgement of a debt against someone in the tribunal, don’t you then need to go to the Magistrates Court and get a judgement against her in court before that happens.

James

@yack

I dont know – I will research and cross that bridge once I get a judgement at the tribunal.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    @yack

Oh Well – I gave her a chance and had my trust breached.

[satan]

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Good on you Yack, this is what she deserves!
    [rambo2]

@woodsman

Agree with the previous sentiments. I also wanted to use this new smiley too.

[jerry]

(change the name to Yacky in this instance!)

James

@yack

The hearing before the Tribunal is set for 7 April 2004.

I will keep you all posted on progress. My first venture to the tribunal.

Profile photo of Rachel77Rachel77
    @rachel77

Hi All,

Most agency’s and Property Managers all have a database called TICA which lists any bad tenants that other PM’s have had to deal with. As a general rule they should always check a potential applicant against the list on TICA before approving a tenant for your property.

I would check that they use this (all the good ones do) and that they have added her name to the list so any future rentals she tries to lease will be aware of your problems with her. Get them to list the boyfriends name as well!!!

Good Luck with it all. You try to do something nice, huh…

Rachel.[rambo2]

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Bit harsh adding the b/f’s name if he wasnt on the lease in the 1st place.

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Yack i to have been caught out helping freinds or freinds of freinds in the past. I have since learnt that sometimes instead of giving them the solution myself and taking on board their problems, its sometimes best to help them find their own solutions, if this makes sense.

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

@yack

She has already been added to the rental database by the property manager.

I want to get a judgement so it can be recorded against her credit record so if down the track she decides she wants to get a home loan or personal loan her credit reference will not be good.

Anyway she is now in Qld – so she is probably renting someones ve+ property. But we will still get a judgement against her. The boyfriend is not on the lease.

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Probably defamatory and a breach of the Privacy Act if you add the boyfriend’s name to the database and he wasn’t a tenant under the lease agreement (ie he doesn’t legally owe you any money).

Cheers
    Elysium-M

DIY Residential Property Settlements in WA – the book coming soon! When I can get my act together…

@yack

Just got judgement from the residential tribunal in my favour. Now we need to track down the tenant who has moved to the feral state Queensland.

So now I am investigating how to transfer to a debt collection agency.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

I won’t touch friends, relative or colleagues. Too many things that can go wrong.

Better just to offer a sympathetic ear & heartfelt advice.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

@yack

I have rented to my brother in the past. But this is the only time I have lost any rent. So I will never do it again. I used a property manager to protect myself but from what I understand this chick is from a family that does this all the time.

Profile photo of zizziz
    Participant
    @ziz

Hi Yack

We have been renting a house to my sister in law since 1996. They have now paid more rent than we paid for the house originally (a long time ago)

No problems so far with the rental payments.

Cheers

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Adding to Acey’s list

I would not rent to solicitors (again anyway[:(])

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.