All Topics / Help Needed! / Due Diligence on Town

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of mgreshammgresham
    @mgresham

I was also interested in information on how to perform due diligence on a town where a property is located.

Let me outline some of the relevant factors:

Location: 3 hrs North of Perth on a major North/south Highway. 30kms from coast (booming areas on coast).

Housing: Approximately 50 houses (mainly Fibro). Half of which are owned by a Mining Company which has a large mine near by. Mining company intends to sell half of these in the next 12 months. Most that are sold are being relocated to nearby Coastal Towns. Majority of the properties are located on leasehold land.

Industry:
    Mining- Mine life is reported to vary from 3 – 10 years. Although most of the processing is being moved to another operation 200kms away. (I have some very good information from associates who have done consulting work for the company).
    Agriculture- Wheat/sheep/beef producing area with ample water. Earmarked for possible Horticultural production due to abundant water.
    Tourism- Noted for spectacular Wildflowers. Popular refuelling spot.

Facilities:
    Roadhouse
    Bowling Club
    Sports Club with Bar/Restaurant
    Primary School
    High School (in nearby town)

Tenants:
    Husband (casual farm labourer) and wife (cleaner at mine site) have rented property for 6 years – reputed to be reliable by vendor (real estate agent in another town). Fix any problems without fuss and just ask for reimbursement of material costs. Have also made some capital improvements (pergola, garden) with consent of vendor.

Property:
    The property is unique as it is Brick construction.

Does anyone have any good advice/information on what factors to consider when a major local employer closes or scales back their operations. The yield is very attractive on the property but the future impact on the town is difficult to predict.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi there,
    I think I know this area and the Mining Co. you refer to.

I would be concerned about the stats in relation to population, you might want to start with population of at least 10,000+.
    Also what happens after 10 years when mine closes etc, you may be stuck with a lemon that you can not sell.

Just a suggestion you may want to look closer at the coastal town that is further up the track, this may prove to be a wiser move….

PS. check old posts on this forum as I think you may find information on useful websites to assist in your research.

Cheers.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.