All Topics / General Property / $2000 Land Tax | What a Joke?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Dear All,

I just heard on radio this morning that the Howard’s government have a hidden agenda of introducing $2000 land tax for every single house.

is it true? Can anyone provide more details?

What’s about a discussion about it here?

Warm Regards

Chan Dollars
    [The bridge between where you are right now & where you want to be tomorrow is knowledge]

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Chan$, I think you will find that to be a furphy. From what I read/hear and understand – all states (and Federal Government) are trying to make housing affordability easier for first home owners.

I would be surprised if;

A) The Federal Goverment would want to put land tax upun land tax (ie. many houses are already subject to land tax already)

B) Land tax is a State Government tax anyway

C) I would think that it would be the most unpopular move in political history in the current economic climate.

Probably just a scare campaign.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Here’s a reference to that story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1065616.htm

Problem is… abolishing stamp duty for *first-home buyers* homebuyers relieves that group. But a $2k duty for each home (including IP’s presumably) for each year of the property’s existence? That’s a lot of moolah.

kay henry

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Oh come on.

“…New South Wales Treasurer Michael Egan has seized on those comments to claim Canberra has a secret plan for a national land tax…”

Well I claim that Michael Egan is a useless treasurer – does that mean I am right? Where are the facts? Usual crap reporting by the ABC trying to justify itself as a serious media outlet (and failing badly in my opinion).

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

hehe Rugby- yer funny [:)]

kay henry

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by Rugbyfan:

Chan$, I think you will find that to be a furphy. From what I read/hear and understand – all states (and Federal Government) are trying to make housing affordability easier for first home owners.

I would be surprised if;

A) The Federal Goverment would want to put land tax upun land tax (ie. many houses are already subject to land tax already)

B) Land tax is a State Government tax anyway

C) I would think that it would be the most unpopular move in political history in the current economic climate.

Probably just a scare campaign.

Rugbyfan,

That’s what I thought. If more land tax take effect then property price slump will go faster than normal.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young Retire Rich]

Participant
    @jetdollars

Thanks Kay for the link. Below is the info from the link:

Last Update: Sunday, March 14, 2004. 2:22pm (AEDT)
    Claim Fed Govt planning national land tax
    The New South Wales Government has accused the Federal Government of secretly planning to introduce a national land tax.

It claims the tax would cost each home owner in the country $2,000 a year.

Prime Minister John Howard has called for the abolition of stamp duty to ease pressures on house prices.

He predicted a Productivity Commission report on housing affordability due late this month would back the idea.

New South Wales Treasurer Michael Egan has seized on those comments to claim Canberra has a secret plan for a national land tax.

He says Mr Howard chose not to mention the Commission’s draft, report released late last year, suggested replacing stamp duty with more efficient taxes, including a comprehensive land tax.

“That’s the recommendation that Mr Howard is supporting today – abolition of stamp duty but the imposition of a land tax on every land tax in Australia – approximately $2,000 a year for every household in Australia,” Mr Egan said.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Here’s a reference to that story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1065616.htm

Problem is… abolishing stamp duty for *first-home buyers* homebuyers relieves that group. But a $2k duty for each home (including IP’s presumably) for each year of the property’s existence? That’s a lot of moolah.

kay henry

but stamp duty is just a one of where as $2000 per year is a lot money in long term. Therefore, the government planning to back step the citizen.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by Rugbyfan:

Oh come on.

“…New South Wales Treasurer Michael Egan has seized on those comments to claim Canberra has a secret plan for a national land tax…”

Well I claim that Michael Egan is a useless treasurer – does that mean I am right? Where are the facts? Usual crap reporting by the ABC trying to justify itself as a serious media outlet (and failing badly in my opinion).

I think you’re right, rugbyfan.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Nothing like a good scare story to boost the ALP’s
    support.

The fact remains that one can never trust a politician and certainly not a desperate Labor one trying to help his fellow mate in the federal election.

Pisces

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.