All Topics / Opinionated! / Labor Government

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

***Warning – Long Post***

“In your Economics 101 textbook you will see that deficit has its economic place (e.g. to stimulate and economy) – contrary to the Costello line that it is the root of all evil. It’s just that right now, we don’t need the stimulus and people swallow the “Defecit = Bad; Surplus = Good” line that the Coalition use because it suits them politically.”

>You forget about the ageing baby boomers – that is why it is so important to have surpluses. So when we go to borrow on the international market we get to borrow more and at a lower rate of interest because according to credit agencies (Standard & Poors) there is less risk, rather than being like America – large deficits now, larger deficits in the future, and less capacity to tax or borrow. Wouldn’t it be better to have surpluses now??? Or do you believe that super is going to save us! L0L!!!

“I just wanted to reply to the above & remind everyone that until the coalition came into power under Howard, NO previous Coalition party in power had EVER had a budget surplus! Some previous Labour parties in power had. And we are all quick to forget the major reason for the budget surplus – Telstra???? Read up on your political history fellas!”

>Telstra provided a large surplus, but the budget had an underlying surplus anyway (this ignores one off ‘special’ effects, such as the sale of large Gov assets). Also during the last Coalition Gov was in power at that time the economy was booming and there was no need for surpluses (as the word baby boomer hadn’t probably even needed to be invented then!)

But I digress, on to Labour/Lib governments thoughts:

Labour governments tend to have big social agendas that require large expenditure, which in turn means increase in taxes. An because the unions want to be seen doing something for their members this means this tax burden tends to be shifted on to entrepreneurs, business owners and investors (the people who create the jobs in the first place… but anyway along with the real debate – what will this mean to us!).

I think I could confidentially say that a Labour Gov wouldn’t change current structures fundamentally. Saying that things like taxation would probably change, perhaps trusts wouldn’t get the 50% CGT discount, certain trust loopholes would be changed/closed (when Latham promises no CGT changes, he means for the everyday worker not us investors – it’s called politicians speak), perhaps larger payroll taxes.

He won’t have a lot of room to move however as many dollar commitments the Howard Gov have made is through contracts and these can’t be torn up (thanks to the courts!).

As for his $5 billion in government waste that would be used to fund some of its spending commitments, I think that is very much up in the air, and I know it won’t be used to reduce public service numbers, etc

He states that taxes won’t rise more than GDP, but that is assuming that there is still high growth rates… what if there isn’t????

All politicians lie, it’s kind of like a get out of jail card…. Saying that I would prefer a Howard Gov because I know nothing much is going to change for the entrepreneurs, business owners and investors. In fact I feel there is a higher chance our interests will be protected. With the Labour I don’t see any words to suggest Latham will protect us. Better to go with the Devil you know.

Anything Labour puts up we will get around, but it will increase costs and hassels along the way (and in the end they will just put up hidden taxes which cna be either passed on to the rent or worker, somehow).

As for Negative gearing being outlawed – I don’t think it will happen for quite a while, mainly because the state Gov’s are now relying on stamp duty more and more. Either the Federal Gov will have to increase there contriutions to the States or raise GST (which will mean increases to the States), I don’t beleive either will happen.
    When negative gearing does disappear – I will be prepared to jump on some fantastic deals!!!

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of fostonfoston
    @foston

Something to think about, remember the days of the Whitlam Government[blink], the 18% interest rates etc. etc.[weird], scary stuff. Guess who is Latham’s mentor, Whitlam of course, dare we go there again[glum2].
    foston

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by foston:

Something to think about, remember the days of the Whitlam Government[blink], the 18% interest rates etc. etc.[weird], scary stuff. Guess who is Latham’s mentor, Whitlam of course, dare we go there again[glum2].
    foston

This is exactly why I have a one way ticket in my top drawer.

Fortunately because of mixed parentage (some say mongrel breeding [biggrin]) I have many choices and I hate seeing this once great country going where it’s going.

Cheers

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

Wayne, you seriously make no sense.

On one hand you say you hate seeing the way Australia is going and on the other you say that if there is a change of government you’re outta here.

Another case of talking loud and saying nothing.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Yes foston,

I remember the days of Whitlam- free University education! No HECS and no fees. Oh yes- free healthcare… and public school funding.

kay henry

@waynel
    Originally posted by Rubbachook:

Wayne, you seriously make no sense.

On one hand you say you hate seeing the way Australia is going and on the other you say that if there is a change of government you’re outta here.

Another case of talking loud and saying nothing.

I will ignore the insult as I see that I have offended your sense of patriotism.[medieval]

As far as saying nothing…well yes you are correct. Saying something might upset a few people…seems I’ve upset at least one person anyway.

However, if you would like to PM or email me, I would be prepared to say a lot more.

We could swap insults…that sort of thing![evil4]

Cheers
    Wayne

@rubbachook

[snooze][snooze][snooze][snooze][snooze][snooze]

Thanks, Wayne, but as much as getting some of your no-doubt-profound insights appeals to me I think I have a better chance of finding +CF property in Chatswood that I have of finding intellectual stimulation. Perhaps this link may be of use:
    http://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/AHR/archive/Issue-April-2001/curthoys.html

@waynel

Sorry didn’t get past the first paragraph[sleepyanim] perhaps you could summarize it for me.

Curious….why did you delete the cliche finder? I thought that was quite humorous! (serious, got a chuckle from that one!)

@kay-henry

Oh well, at least you guys can debate and still be humorous and not disgraceful. How come you are both sleeping? I am like this: [lmao]

kay henry

Profile photo of kalonikaloni
    @kaloni
    Originally posted by AusProp:

I see on the TV this morning that there is a possibility that Labor may win the Federal election. I haven’t really been listening to Latham’s wild remarks but I think I better start. Is this the blip on the radar that we have been looking for – this could be the trigger for recession in this country? Did he also mention abolution of negative gearing? Hold on tight – we may be heading into choppy water…. what do others think? Possibly rising interest rates, a labor governement, abolution of negative gearing, a credit balloon – is there any good news?

Show me a past government be labour-liberal
    that has NOT raised taxes
    good old Johnny said once there will never be GST
    we all know rhe answer to that
    negative gearing has been tried to be removed before with rents balloning
    so it will not happen
    To me it is scare tactics

@kay-henry

How do you think we get schools, hospitals and roads unless we have taxes, folks?

I think it’s ok that we pay our share.

kay henry

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Originally posted by Lucifer_au:All politicians lie, it’s kind of like a get out of jail card…. Saying that I would prefer a Howard Gov because I know nothing much is going to change for the entrepreneurs, business owners and investors. In fact I feel there is a higher chance our interests will be protected. With the Labour I don’t see any words to suggest Latham will protect us. Better to go with the Devil you know.

and i wonder which government has my voting card ??? [medieval]

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

@rubbachook

SIS – I can’t believe you’ve come out like that.

I’ve been much more careful so that no-one will know which side of the fence I sit on…[winking]

@kay-henry

Well, Chook, the link you provided above was a lefty link, so if that’s your true colours… it’s easy to determine [smiling]

kay henry

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Rubbachook,

maybe i did come out, a little to forward, but from many of the investors, and business owners, its a little to easy to know, who they will be voting for… (…well majority of them) [goatee]

Cheers,
    sis

ps… but i will edit that link [strum]

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

@rubbachook

Kay, obviously the irony of my comment above was too subtle. Let’s say I’m much more likely to tackle a cabbie than I am to wear a Vodafone trackie.

@kay-henry

ok Chooks, I’ll go there… Let me put it this way… Here’s a riddle for you…

I’m of the political pursuasion that’s more likely to be doe-eyed, than I am to go to my daughter’s wedding, read books to children, or get drunk and steal a bottle of wine and flip out in the senate and half pull a woman’s arm off.

How’s that grab you?

kay henry

Profile photo of _se7en__se7en_
    @_se7en_

In my ideal world:

Sydney Council: Clover Moore – Independent
    New South Wales: John Brogden – Liberal
    Austraila: Mark Latham – ALP
    USA: John Kerry – Democrat
    UK: Gordon Brown – Labor

@rubbachook

Kay,

How’s that grab you?

I suspect the half-pulled-off arm would not grab me too well at all… [blink]

My guess is that you don’t have shares in Gunns?

@rubbachook

se7en,

I like to think that although I have a leaning that I can be objective.

I can understand the arguments for Lib and Lab at a federal level. Equally, I can see negative arguments as well as positive for Bob Carr in NSW. But for the life of me I cannot see why someone would vote for Brogden’s Libs. I’m genuinely curious (no sarcasm) as to why you see Brogden as a better alternative to Carr.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.