All Topics / Help Needed! / Advise For Newbie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of BernardBernard
    Participant
    @bernard

Hi All.

After reading Steve’s book and observing from the sidelines of the forums here i’m now in the process of selling 4 of my neg: geared props. My aim is to now go buy numerouis pos: geared ones. I’m in Perth and would like to continue to invest here but am thinking i’ll need to go outer metro – to smaller country towns.Is any-one here in a similar situation or have you done it already….any advise.
    Thanks in advance

Regards

Bernard

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Whoa, hold on a moment. Before you go selling your negative geared properties, have a look at what they have become. If you have achieved good capital gains out of them and you can afford to keep them – YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE TO SELL THEM. You can use the equity in them to purchase +ve cash flow properties.

I am not alone on these forums advocating a mixed portfolio. In fact I would even guess that over half of the serious investors here would say don’t sell them without looking at the bigger picture.

My wife and I have one -ve geared prop, 1 cash flow neutral prop and about to have our first +ve CF prop. Yes +ve CF seems to be all the rage at the moment, but they are becoming harder to find (even in WA).

I am not saying don’t sell them, maybe you can sell 1 or 2 of the underperforming ones, but I think a diverse portfolio is the way to go at the moment.

Good luck

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

agreed!
    you need to look at the whole picture, maybe your neg properties actually work for you in a different way. I too have a balance on that.

I use shares, neg geared property and positive property, then i work also on super. I am looking for tax advantages, though at times the effort is considerable and my accountant hates me [8]

It isnt what everyone else is doing that counts, it is about you and your situation and your goals.

Elves

Profile photo of Rachel77Rachel77
    @rachel77

Hey Elves,

Why does your accountant hate you?
    I am not finding joy in the accouting world myself right now!!! All the ones I talk to seem so focused on negative gearing. Bloody accountants (sorry to all those good accountants out there)!

Rachel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.