All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Overseas structures

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of nhenleysmith_2nhenleysmith_2
    @nhenleysmith_2

Would anyone be able to point me to where I can find information/get advice on the best structures for investing in overseas properties ?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I think that really depends on which country you want, as each country seems to have different structures available.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of nhenleysmith_2nhenleysmith_2
    @nhenleysmith_2

I am looking at France in particular

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

I cannot advise you on the tax laws of other countries but if you invest via a structure other than your own name you will miss out on the following:
    Overseas Rental Properties
    Newsflash 61
    In ID2002/764 the ATO clearly states that, from 1st July, 2001 Section 160AFD allows the interest, borrowing costs etc. on an overseas rental property to be offset against Australian income to the extent that it exceeds the overseas rent received.
    Note this is rental income after the deduction of other expenses such as rates, insurance and repairs. Providing they do not exceed the total amount of rent received. If the rates, insurance and repairs exceed the rent received the balance is carried forward to be offset against future foreign income and the interest is fully deductible against Australian Income.

[email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.