All Topics / Forum Frolic / My 12 balls – hard one

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

This is a difficult puzzle that a colleague sent me.

Took me several days to work it out.

Please don’t cheat by googling it!

Good luck!

You have 12 balls identical in size and appearance but 1 is an odd weight (could be either light or heavy). You have a set scales (balance) which will give 3 possible readings:- Left = Right, Left > Right or Left < Right. You have only 3 chances to weigh the balls in any combination using the scales. Determine which ball is the odd one and if it’s heavier or lighter than the rest. How do you do it?

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

12 balls: No. 1 to 12.

Take A= No. 1-3, B= No.4-6, C= No. 7-9, D=No. 10-12.

If A = B Then
    C <> D
    If 7 = 8 then
    Answer = 9
    Else
    Answer is 7 or 8
    Else
    If 1 = 2 then
    Answer = 3
    Else
    Answer is 1 or 2

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to Frolic Freedom!]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Chan,

Good try but we don’t know if the different ball is heavier or lighter.

So when you say C<>D you don’t know which group has the odd ball.

Keep thinking.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @jetdollars

This is a good thinking game and I am trying very hard here!

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Profile photo of JapanScottJapanScott
    @japanscott

As you are putting the balls on the scale, you put one on the left side, one on the right side. Then you have an expected pattern. Left goes down, back to level, left goes down, back to level. If you get something different to this pattern, i.e. left goes down, stays down, you can narrow the ball down to two balls…compare these balls to one of the normal balls and you can find out if it is heavier or lighter.

Close? or do I have to put the balls on at the same time?

Participant
    @jetdollars

OK here is the answer, I hope:

1. Put 5 balls on left and 5 balls on right! Therefore, 2 balls not on scale. If Left = right then the 2 balls is the answer. ie. take one of the two and one of the ten ball and you be able to find out. (only two steps here)
    2. If Left <> Right then that mean 2 balls left is the standard ball. Now take 5 balls from left, keep one and put 2 on left and 2 on right. if left = right then the 1 ball not on the scale is the answer. If left <> right then take one ball on the scale and compare to anyone on scale.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Originally posted by JapanScott:

As you are putting the balls on the scale, you put one on the left side, one on the right side. Then you have an expected pattern. Left goes down, back to level, left goes down, back to level. If you get something different to this pattern, i.e. left goes down, stays down, you can narrow the ball down to two balls…compare these balls to one of the normal balls and you can find out if it is heavier or lighter.

Close? or do I have to put the balls on at the same time?

I think JapanScott is right?

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Japanscott,

you only have the three weighings.

Chan,

You are on the right track. But remember you don’t know if the odd ball is heavier or lighter. So

If left <> right then take one ball on the scale and compare to anyone on scale.

Which ball? You have two weighing left and four balls?
    if they match then which of the other two balls is it? The heavier one or lighter one?

Keep trying – you are heading in the right direction but forget the 5 + 5 + 2 groups. Try a different combination!

C’mon guys there must be some more smart folks out there!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @jetdollars

Mortgage Hunter,

Because of this quiz I lose a lot of posting today…lol…

Back to the quiz…thinking…

Any clues?

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Participant
    @jetdollars

12 Balls:
    4A = 2AA+2AB
    4B = 2BA+2BB
    4C = 2CA+2CB

4A VS 4B
    if 4A = 4B then
    2CA vs 2AA
    if 2CA = 2AA
    1CAAA vs 1AAA
    if 1CAAA = 1AAA
    1CAAB is the solution
    if 4A <> 4B
    4C is the standard ball
    2AA vs 2CA
    1AAA vs 1CAA
    solution

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

OK Chan my friend,

try this

3 groups of four

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @jetdollars

Am I on the right track?

Training finish, going home.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Chan,

You may be right. You lost me a little with your naming methodology.

here is my answer:

Number the balls 1, 2, 3….., 10, 11, 12
    Weigh 1, 2, 3, 4 vs 5, 6, 7, 8 with 3 possible outcomes:-

1/ If they balance then 9,10,11,12 have the odd ball, so weigh 6,7,8 vs 9,10,11 with 3 possible outcomes:-
    i/ If 6,7,8 vs 9,10,11 balances, 12 is the odd ball. Weigh it against any other ball to determine if heavy or light.
    ii/ If 9,10,11 is heavy then they contain a heavy ball. Weigh 9 vs 10, if balanced then 11 is the odd heavy ball, else the heavier of 9 or 10 is the odd heavy ball.
    iii/ If 9,10,11 is light then they contain a light ball. Weigh 9 vs 10, if balanced then 11 is the odd light ball, else the lighter of 9 or 10 is the odd light ball.

2/ If 5,6,7,8 > 1,2,3,4 then either 5,6,7,8 contains a heavy ball or 1,2,3,4 contains a light ball so weigh 1,2,5 vs 3,6,12 with 3 possible outcomes:-
    i/ If 1,2,5 vs 3,6,12 balances, then either 4 is the odd light ball or 7 or 8 is the odd heavy ball. Weigh 7 vs 8, if they balance then 4 is the odd light ball, or the heaviest of 7 vs 8 is the odd heavy ball.
    ii/ If 3,6,12 is heavy then either 6 is the odd heavy ball or 1 or 2 is the odd light ball. Weigh 1 vs 2, if balanced then 6 is the odd heavy ball, or the lighest of 1 vs 2 is the odd light ball.
    iii/ If 3,6,12 is light then either 3 is light or 5 is heavy. Weigh 3 against any other ball, if balanced then 5 is the odd heavy ball else 3 is the odd light ball.

3/ If 1,2,3,4 > 5,6,7,8 then either 1,2,3,4 contains a heavy ball or 5,6,7,8 contains a light ball so weigh 5,6,1 vs 7,2,12 with 3 possible outcomes:-
    i/ If 5,6,1 vs 7,2,12 balances, then either 8 is the odd light ball or 3 or 4 is the odd heavy ball. Weigh 3 vs 4, if they balance then 8 is the odd light ball, or the heaviest of 3 vs 4 is the odd heavy ball.
    ii/ If 7,2,12 is heavy then either 2 is the odd heavy ball or 5 or 6 is the odd light ball. Weigh 5 vs 6, if balanced then 2 is the odd heavy ball, or the lighest of 5 vs 6 is the odd light ball.

iii/ If 7,2,12 is light then either 7 is light or 1 is heavy. Weigh 7 against any other ball, if balanced then 1 is the odd heavy ball else 7 is the odd light ball.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by MortgageHunter:

Chan,

You may be right. You lost me a little with your naming methodology.

here is my answer:

1/ If they balance then 9,10,11,12 have the odd ball, so weigh 6,7,8 vs 9,10,11 with 3 possible outcomes:-
    i/ If 6,7,8 vs 9,10,11 balances, 12 is the odd ball. Weigh it against any other ball to determine if heavy or light.
    ii/ If 9,10,11 is heavy then they contain a heavy ball. Weigh 9 vs 10, if balanced then 11 is the odd heavy ball, else the heavier of 9 or 10 is the odd heavy ball.
    iii/ If 9,10,11 is light then they contain a light ball. Weigh 9 vs 10, if balanced then 11 is the odd light ball, else the lighter of 9 or 10 is the odd light ball.

2/ If 5,6,7,8 > 1,2,3,4 then either 5,6,7,8 contains a heavy ball or 1,2,3,4 contains a light ball so weigh 1,2,5 vs 3,6,12 with 3 possible outcomes:-
    i/ If 1,2,5 vs 3,6,12 balances, then either 4 is the odd light ball or 7 or 8 is the odd heavy ball. Weigh 7 vs 8, if they balance then 4 is the odd light ball, or the heaviest of 7 vs 8 is the odd heavy ball.
    ii/ If 3,6,12 is heavy then either 6 is the odd heavy ball or 1 or 2 is the odd light ball. Weigh 1 vs 2, if balanced then 6 is the odd heavy ball, or the lighest of 1 vs 2 is the odd light ball.
    iii/ If 3,6,12 is light then either 3 is light or 5 is heavy. Weigh 3 against any other ball, if balanced then 5 is the odd heavy ball else 3 is the odd light ball.

3/ If 1,2,3,4 > 5,6,7,8 then either 1,2,3,4 contains a heavy ball or 5,6,7,8 contains a light ball so weigh 5,6,1 vs 7,2,12 with 3 possible outcomes:-
    i/ If 5,6,1 vs 7,2,12 balances, then either 8 is the odd light ball or 3 or 4 is the odd heavy ball. Weigh 3 vs 4, if they balance then 8 is the odd light ball, or the heaviest of 3 vs 4 is the odd heavy ball.
    ii/ If 7,2,12 is heavy then either 2 is the odd heavy ball or 5 or 6 is the odd light ball. Weigh 5 vs 6, if balanced then 2 is the odd heavy ball, or the lighest of 5 vs 6 is the odd light ball.

iii/ If 7,2,12 is light then either 7 is light or 1 is heavy. Weigh 7 against any other ball, if balanced then 1 is the odd heavy ball else 7 is the odd light ball.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Mortgage Hunter,

That’s the way I am trying to do! So I was half right. Bloody spent the whole afternoon solving this problem.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Profile photo of BlackJackBlackJack
    Participant
    @blackjack

I haven’t even tried to solve the puzzle – just read the postings so far – and my head hurts.

Go Chan$…

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by BlackJack:

I haven’t even tried to solve the puzzle – just read the postings so far – and my head hurts.

Go Chan$…

what about me, can’t stop thinking about it even on the train on the way back home…lol…

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

The explanation sounds hard.

When I worked it out we got 12 bits of paper numbered 1-12.

My wife chose a number that was heavier or lighter and then told me each time which way the scales would go.

Works every time!

It is easy in practice – hard to communicate!

Well done team. These things are a bit of a hobby of mine [:D]

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by MortgageHunter:

The explanation sounds hard.

When I worked it out we got 12 bits of paper numbered 1-12.

My wife chose a number that was heavier or lighter and then told me each time which way the scales would go.

Works every time!

It is easy in practice – hard to communicate!

Well done team. These things are a bit of a hobby of mine [:D]

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

I think it is a great hobby, may be I should go back to where I was before which was my kind of thing as well.

Thank you for sharing Mortgage Hunter.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Simon said:

here is my answer:

Oh dear Simon.. that makes my head feel like I was born without a brain. Lucky property investing is not a riddle!

kay henry

Participant
    @jetdollars

I think property investing is much harder than this riddle. It look simple but it is not.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.