All Topics / General Property / Positive cash flow in very poor towns. Ideas are:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Profile photo of lawrencelawrence
    @lawrence

TO find, because I grew up in parts of NSW/QLD/WA where these sorts of properties are thriving. The only problem is that they are usually all run down shacks, yeah sure you get the positive cash flow, (my goals arent’ even that ambitious, rather money that creates itself, s.i.s termed it as neutral gearing) BUT the question is, since these properties are usually very run down, what happens in 15 years time when the property needs extensive maintainence i.e much more than a coat of paint or new carpet. At this point, buyers aren’t interested and there is but a large bill for repairs. Any suggestions? NOTE; I am not looking for problems, just preventing them from happening. Is any one else in the same frame of mind? i.e Buy shit heap for + cash flow, happy for 15 years, then stuck with expensive repairs. What are your ideas people….[:)]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by lawrence:

TO find, because I grew up in parts of NSW/QLD/WA where these sorts of properties are thriving. The only problem is that they are usually all run down pieces of shit, yeah sure you get the positive cash flow, (my goals arent’ even that ambitious, rather money that creates itself, s.i.s termed it as neutral gearing) BUT the question is, since these properties are usually very run down, what happens in 15 years time when the property needs extensive maintainence i.e much more than a coat of paint or new carpet. At this point, buyers aren’t interested and there is but a large bill for repairs. Any suggestions? NOTE; I am not looking for problems, just preventing them from happening. Is any one else in the same frame of mind? i.e Buy shit heap for + cash flow, happy for 15 years, then stuck with expensive repairs. What are your ideas people….[:)]

Yes you can buy sh.t PCFP, but you can alway do the reno afterward and increase the rent.

after 15 years you can do it again.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to Frolic Freedom!]

Profile photo of lawrencelawrence
    @lawrence

Thankyou chan, as always for your input.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Lawrence

if you had the wrapped the property then the maintenance and upkeep is the responsibility of the wrappee.

In 15 years it is likely they will have either refinaced and paid you out or will have sold the property.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@lawrence

thanks qlds007. One query… wrapping properties in the areas I speak of is difficult. They are awesome for having a property pay itself off , but difficult to sell.. I.e a house on an acre of land in the middle of a town of 400 people. Sold for 14,000 and rent is 50 dollars a week. thus in only 5 years you have 14,000 with minimal effort, and a bank manager eager to lend you more money. BUT it took 3 YEARS to sell the property. See the dilemma.There are often no capital gains in the places I speak of.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I think that is the main issue that people do not relaise with cf+ properties. Thats why I dont really like them.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

umm…if it takes 3 years to sell a property, exactly how long will it take to get a tenant?

Fortune Favours the Bold.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Lawrence,

your very much right in what you say, personally for me, i like to buy quality properties, and have a balance of different gearing streams, but in reality, i know plenty of people who are just buying any old property that is positive cashflow, but arent giving a dam if the property is deterating or slowing building up in a hefty reno… it really depends on the investor… but do agree, some of the positive cashflow properties…. are just not even worth it, even if they are providing $100 a week in passive income…

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of fjficmfjficm
    @fjficm

Ive to agree with sis and yack. The old adage of you get what you pay for applies in 90% of life. Sure fortune favours the brave etc, however, an investment for me is an investment both in my future and my psychological well being and being able to slepp at night knowing i have a neutral or slightly -ve geared prop but able to provide constant good rent with good tennants that arent going to die in my faulty house

FJFICM/FRACP

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

These are probably the sh#t heaps that real estate agents call: Lots of potential, renovators dream, needs TLC, For the handy-man etc?
    I am not interested in run-down properties, because these cheap properties are not in the area I live. If they were, I would certainly think about buying one as cheap as possible, then renovating to increase the value and better rent. But I’d never buy this crap and leave as-is. I don’t believe that tenants actually want to live in them[xx(], it must be so depressing to live in a sh#theap and maybe to have to raise kids there. I couldn’t stand by and see cute little kids having to live in bad conditions. Even a dog should have a nice kennel imho.

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan
    Originally posted by Celivia:

Even a dog should have a nice kennel imho.

Celivia,

What part of that last post was you being humble?[:p][:p][:p][:p]

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hehehe [:)] Rugbyfan what can I say? Woof woof and that’s all I’m saying![:o)]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>In 15 years it is likely they will have either refinanced and paid you out or will have sold the property.<<

If I were to do a wrap (and I doubt I ever will) I would want to see the property transferred out of my name within five years or so.

I think Lawrence summed it up pretty well when he said : “wrapping properties in the areas I speak of is difficult. They are awesome for having a property pay itself off , but difficult to sell.. i.e. a house on an acre of land in the middle of a town of 400 people. Sold for 14,000 and rent is 50 dollars a week. thus in only 5 years you have 14,000 with minimal effort, and a bank manager eager to lend you more money. BUT it took 3 YEARS to sell the property. See the dilemma. There are often no capital gains in the places I speak of.”

That is such a significant statement that I don’t feel I am wasting your time by repeating it.

In fact I will hang this statement on the wall in front of my desk just to remind me if ever I get infected with wrapping enthusiasm.

After all who wants a paltry $ 50 a week (if we are fortunate enough to have a tenant in the property that is) if after some years all that surplus is eaten up by repairs.

What does it cost to rewire a house ?

What about the cost of roof repair ?

What about the cost of repainting when we need to fill the house with a new tenant ?

The whole wrapping situation for $ 50 K houses is a mirage, a self imposed hoax.

There are no shortcuts to wealth. In this country, in major cities, there WILL be a steady increase in values over a period of some years. What more do you want as a formula to make money ?

Besides, as PurpleKiss says : “How long will it take to find a tenant (in a population of 400 people – or 4,000 for that matter) ?

Pisces

Profile photo of HHHHHH
    @hhh

Hi everyone

Man I am sure confused. I am relatively new to this site, and am a huge fan of Steve’s book “0 to 130 properties..” and was convinced that positive cashflow properties was the way to go. HOWEVER, what you all have been saying makes a lot of sense.

Are you all saying you disagree with Steve’s book? and if so, how can we all earn a passive income without these +cf properties?

thanks

Dan

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

It’s ALL about balance..isn’t it !

Risk + Effort = Reward

If you don’t take the risk, you don’t ‘get’ the reward, now… how about limiting your risk then..
    For example, you could buy in a town of 400 people, buy a heap of sh*t ( as you so elequently put it Lawrence )recieve your monthly checks and take your chances..

To me that’s just *way* to High Risk..where’s your tenant base in a town of 400 prople ?? like i’ve said before, if you buy in a one horse town, your in trouble if the horse up and leaves, you’ve essentially got yourself a holiday home [8D]

So as has been advocated all along in this forum..’limit’ your risk and conduct your due diligence ( research )… would you bet $50-60k on a horse race..hoping you chose well ?

The principle is sound, so you just have to make sure the application is..

Would i buy in a town of 400,500 or even 600 people in the middle of nowhere..no way !!

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Lawrence

Certainly I would be thinking more than twice b4 purchasing a property in a town with a population less than say 10,000.

Think old mate you might be looking in the wrong areas. There are many properties available to wrap in SE Qld in quality towns with low vacancy rates. Why purchase the property before you have someone to purchase it from you.

Get your wrappee to find the property he/she wants to live in and make them bring the deal to you.

That way its a win / win situation with limited risk.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@lawrence

Thats good sense every body, and your thoughts are interesting, but in the smaller towns, as Im sure you are familiar with, the peole come from the lower socioeconomic bracket. They live in the town as unskilled workers, i.e shearers, shopkeepers, mechanics, truckdrivers,the odd couple of teachers even full time wellfare recipients etc. These people do not have enough money to live a different lifestyle anywhere else, and they don’t have the mindset to save and afford their own homes, so they rent for the equivalent of 4 packs of cigarettes a week, generalising of course. (50 dollars) or if your lucky, one hundred dollars if you want to deprive people of thier alcohol and gambling. This is not a criticism of these people, just the way it is. These people are content with thieir lives and they gain pleasure from the things a very small town can give. They don’t mind staying in crappy accomodation, (again a different mindset) and they are not going anywhere, you often have the tennants for life and yes it may be vacant for a period, the max I have come across is six months, because there are always unskilled, unmotivated young parents wishing to move out of home to get away from mum and/or dad. These populations are static and thus there is no capital gain on the property, and vice versa, no loss, apart from the renovations you may need to do, and really, rennovations are as QLD007 put it, rewiring etc, not adding rooms or spas. these people don’t expect or really wish for that.I guess the challenge is to find the property in these places that will need renovation in 15 years time, use the positive flow from the last ten years (first five paid for the property) and then sell the property. The number of these types of places you could own is infinite. I.E. property buys itself in 5-10 years, you use the flow from the next 5 years to finance refurbishment, then you sell the property and all the others you own. your goals are set by the financial sum you wish to receive at the end. Noting that many people in the very small town are willing to undertake their own maintainence, i.e again its the mindset of rural, hard working people. Any more thoughts people, this is an interesting topic, very stimulating. NOTE: the only person who you could wrap with in these places is another property investor, I feel. Not may are interested in buying houses. People struggle to raise even half the funds needed for a 20G house and banks don’t want to know these people (unfortunately?) I guess, overall, we are considering the option of maintaining people in a state of hopelessness, but this is not an ethics string, its a business and investment string. More thoughts on dirt cheap property in these types of places??? this is good.[8)] NOTE most of these places are sold privately, thus no realestate costs.

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by Celivia:

These are probably the sh#t heaps that real estate agents call: Lots of potential, renovators dream, needs TLC, For the handy-man etc?
    I am not interested in run-down properties, because these cheap properties are not in the area I live. If they were, I would certainly think about buying one as cheap as possible, then renovating to increase the value and better rent. But I’d never buy this crap and leave as-is. I don’t believe that tenants actually want to live in them[xx(], it must be so depressing to live in a sh#theap and maybe to have to raise kids there. I couldn’t stand by and see cute little kids having to live in bad conditions. Even a dog should have a nice kennel imho.

I totally agreed. I would love to do some renovation in some stage of my life. But reality is that I can’t find property that’s close to my home so I can do that.

If I buy those +CFP which is far away then it’s pretty hard to go there and do the renovation.

As most of us here working Mon-Fri and usually looking for close by for renovation purpose.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

@lawrence

thanks for the interest 007, chan and others, appreciated.Your thoughts make good logic…have a look at my logic.. maybe property investors could say “never invest in a town larger than 500 people”

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by lawrence:

…have a look at my logic.. maybe property investors could say “never invest in a town larger than 500 people”

lol…it’s good that you have your own criteria…

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.