Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of lazolazo
    @lazo

Hi guys,

I am considering purchasing a property (to live in, not an investment – the better half’s lifestyle choice!) but am concerned that it is overpriced.

The problem is there are a few complicating factors in assessing the valuation – harbour view and recent renovation on the positive side but potential roof problems (apartment building) on the negative side.

This would be my first property purchase so I am unsure about a couple of basic conventions.

For example, can I arrange for an independent valuer to inspect the property and give me his/her opinion? How would I get in contact with such a person in the Sydney area? Can anyone recommend a reputable valuer?Is this likely to effect my ability to negotiate with the vendor?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest (I know this is an impossible question but I am only after a very rough estimate at this stage) the rough cost or added value that a new kitchen (granite benchtops stainless steel appliances) and a new bathroom (clean but simple, not high quality finishing) would be?

I have obtained a large amount of statistics of recent sales and historical sales for the area (and indeed the particular property I am considering) but this is probably what has confused me most – especially considering that the asking price involves an extremely high capital gain for the property over the last 2 years which is inconsistent with the suburb as a whole.

Sorry if I have waffled a lot here, but I would appreciate all responses (to one question or all), in what is proving to be quite a stressful and time consuming experience for me.

Thanks a lot,
    Lazo[:)]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You could find a valuer from the yellow pages, but one good company that we often use is Hodder Rook in North Sydney (tel (02) 9956 7611).

Have you considered getting a building inspection done too? They could probably give you some figures on costs for repairs too.

Both of these reports should help you negotiate with the vendor.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Lazo, this site could give you a price for kitchens. I think they’ll give delivered prices, and take it away yourself. dont’ know about fitting though

http://www.lawsauctions.com.au/

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.