All Topics / General Property / White elephant in New Zeaaland

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of SuzeSuze
    @suze

I bought a house in Whangraparoa, 40 mins from Auckland, last Dec. for 600,000 and is currently rented for $550.00 per wk. This feb I bought and read Steve’s book and realize that I have made a big mistake as the property is not producing a positive cashflow.(I top up the mortgage $350 per month) It has fantastic views of Red beach and Orewa, my idea being that it will go up in value faster than anything in suburbia.Do I hang onto it or do it up (it’s a bit tired)and sell? Problem is , it is very hard to find a positive cash flow property in NZ ’cause I’ve been looking.You have to go to places like Paeroa in the middle of nowhere. Comments please.

Suzanne Kidd

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Suze..

Have a look at Westans post’s and some of the other’s re purchasing in NZ.. it can be done !!

Me..never even been there…one day[^]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

You have to decide – what do you want – capital growth (sounds like the property you have) or postive cash flow.

Me I prefer capital growth. I want my assets to grow. Postive cash flow properties do not tend to grow and Steve acknowledges that. Once I am closer to semi-retiring, I will then invest in postive cash flow.

If you reckon the property will grow in value and you can afford to make the re-payments, they why not keep it.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

it is possible to have both

If you have spent your money, no point worrying, in time it should either increase re growth or mortgage reduces if P and I, and rent increases

You are paying out a lot, but I would expect that eventually things could work out for you. Not based on any knowledge of the area, but I dont see a whole lot going backwards….unless overpriced to begin. Inwhich case hang on to it would be my opinion.

Elves

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Like all the other guys said if you are sure that the property will grow in value and will make money in the future why sale it. I would just keep it and then go out there invest in PCFP. That way you use the income from PCFP to help the repayment of your NCFP now. By doing this it will offset each other off.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to financial freedom]

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Chan $
    Good Points

Regards
    Julian

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Suze, does ‘last Dec’ mean only two months ago?

If you can afford to keep the place, and it sounds like you can, or else you wouldn’t have bought it, I would hold on to it. If the Growth is there, and again, water views etc. sounds promising (I don’t know NZ at all), then capitalise on that growth by drawing some equity out to fund your deposits for the CF+ places. They are definitley available there, Mini, Del, Westan etc. are finding heaps. Mini and Westan even find some as ‘spotters’ so perhaps contact them.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of SuzeSuze
    @suze

Thanks everyone. Great advise. Yes I bought it in dec 2003 as a private sale, so the price would have been 640,000 to offset agents fees and he would have got it too as there was a lot of interest.
    I think I will keep it as I only have to pay 350.00 per month to top up the mortgage, and then i can use it as equity in another positive cash flow property.

Cheers
    Suze in NZ[:)]

Suzanne Kidd

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.