All Topics / General Property / Bottom rung of ladder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

I have just released $88k in equity and I am thinking of investing in 1 of three ways.

1. Buy block of land build new house and sell for profit on completion.
    2. Search for cash flow positive rentals.
    3. Buy, renovate and sell.

Can you guys and girls give me some recomendation based on personal experience?

Cheers, Barry[:I]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Base on my personal experienced I will do step 2 first. May be buy 3 PCFPs and rent it out. Then I do step 3 but I won’t sale it, just buy, reno then rent it out.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to financial freedom]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

From what I have seen and experienced, I would forget postive cashlfow property unless you want to make $2000 or so. The real money is made from building. You may not neccessarily have to sell. renovations can often end up not making much money unless your handy.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of CaptainCaptain
    Participant
    @captain

Hi Nobleone,

Thought this post may have been about my tenants from the title.

Regardless, I would think that your strategy would on a macro scale depend on your existing situation, time horizon, cash flow & reserves etc.

All being equal though if you are trying to build wealth in the medium to long term I would personally suggest the buy, renovate and hold approach. This will give you access to neutral or positive gearing in areas in which it is otherwise unavailable. It would appear from your question that you have ability in construction and you should take advantage of that if you can.

Building a house from scratch is notoriously problematic, expensive and not tax effective(as until the property is an income producing asset it is non-deductable). Selling a completed property is also expensive particularly when you can have it ‘optomistically’ valued and refinanced in a much more timely fashion. I believe that future wealth is simply a factor of total portfolio value and time so I’m all for measured accumulation.

More specifically I would find a nice little brick & tile 3 bedder in SE QLD for about $240k and another further north for about 160k if you have the serviceability to support it in the short term.

But then that’s just my 2cs

Good luck with it.
    [:)]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by Nobleone:

I have just released $88k in equity and I am thinking of investing in 1 of three ways.

1. Buy block of land build new house and sell for profit on completion.

Do the sum’s, how long to build the property, associated cost’s etc, approximate profit- (minus)taxes
    At the end of the day..what would be your approximate profit
    A- if all went to plan
    B- things took a little bit longer, you sold for a bit less

2. Search for cash flow positive rentals.

How many would you wish to purchase ? 2,3,4 ? where would you purchase, what area would you feel comfortable purchasing in ? How would you progress if there were problems ( maintainence/rent etc)

3. Buy, renovate and sell.

What kind of property would you buy/where, would you do the work, how much time would it take, how much could you increase the value by ? what associated costs would there be etc etc..

Can you guys and girls give me some recomendation based on personal experience?

?Depends on “your personal experience” and doing what you feel comfortable with ! There is no right or wrong, many people have profited following each of these paths… which one do you prefer, which one fit’s your comfort/risk levels ?

Cheers, Barry[:I]

REDWING

Bottom rung of the ladder ? well the only way is up !
    At the end of the day..do the sums for each strategy, the one you enjoy will probally be the one you’re good at !!

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Terry said : “From what I have seen and experienced, I would forget postive cashlfow property unless you want to make $2000 or so.”

If one wraps the +ve cashflow can be a lot more than that however.

>>The real money is made from building.<<

Unfortunately one is in the hands of the builder who may cause all kinds of headaches such as long delay to complete, shoddy work all of which adds to one’s holding costs.

Often problems with the builder can be avoided by asking for references of previous jobs. Ask these previous customers whether they have had any bad experiences with the builder and also ask whether they would employ him again.

Always have an architect or another builder inspect the job for you at intervals. Even if the builder insists that you don’t inspect until completion, one can always go to the site after hours.

>>Renovations can often end up not making much money unless your handy.<<

How true in many cases. On the other hand making a property more attractive by cleaning up the house, perhaps painting and/or freshening up the kitchen or bathroom is sometimes very necessary.

In the end, anyone of the three suggested methods can make money for one. All also have pitfalls.

Pisces

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

architects cost a lot of money and dont necessarily do what you want either.
    Elves

Profile photo of MonkeyMagicMonkeyMagic
    @monkeymagic

I remember reading in BRW about a recent court ruling regarding interest while building a house. The result was that interest can be claimed IF the house was being built with the intention of renting upon completion.

Josh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.