All Topics / Opinionated! / teachers salaries

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

what do you think of the bracks proposal that if teachers want their pay rises then they should have their holidays cut back to 4 weeks like the rest of society?

i think its a smart and very funny proposal. bet it got a lot of teachers thinking about how far they want to push this wage demand.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

If summer holidays are 4 weeks, then what would they be doing anyway during the school holidays throughout the year?? (Approx another 4-5weeks)

James

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

What’s a 4 week holiday ???

someone i know know’s someone’s friend who gets one of those, and he gets paid for it too..

I’d love me one of those things

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Teachers always seem to be going out on strike for pay rises. Make them work the same hours/weeks as everyone else, and perhaps get the union to agree to curriculum changes to update things out of the 19th century.

Shame that children become the football between the most militant left leaning unions and government.

Profile photo of _se7en__se7en_
    @_se7en_

Teacher deserve every cent they get!!!!!

The goverment should stop giving money to private schools and give it to the teachers!

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i agree 7 – but what about holidays??

@_se7en_

I do not think that they should have to trade their hoildays for more pay.

Teacher, nurses, train and bus drivers should not have to justify their wages.

Politicans, lawyers and judges should be put under the microscope! They get payed a fortune and do bugger all!!!

Participant
    @aussierogue

seven – what do you do for a crust?

@_se7en_
    Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Teachers deserve better salaries…….

On the holiday side, well, I think that is definitely one of their perks, that maybe they should look at……..

Participant
    @aussierogue

i reckon up until a few years ago teachers were underpaid. but know im not so sure. the public sector unions have been far more successfull in getting wage growth over the last few years than the private sector.

the gap between professions such as architecture, accounting, surveying, the law is much less than it used to be.

you wld be surprised how little these proffessions earn and the hours they put in…

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Why is it that when ever the Government says “more money for education”,teachers hear it as “pay rise”?What about the kids?I have worked in many schools over the years,and I think that teachers are already overpayed for what they do.If you want a joke of a job,become a “Physical Education” teacher in a primary school.

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

I know that principles earn about 120k per year, but have always been interested in starting salaries for primary school teachers (because my sexy other half hopes to be one), and what they earn about 5 years out.

Any helpers?

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi guys

i used to work in a school till Dec.(not as a teacher as a Chaplain)

you would be amazed how hard some teachers work, if they were paid by the hour they would be loaded. Holidays- heaps of teachers work through the holidays. as one teacher said to me you sit in an office with 25 clients all at the same time for 6 hours a day and see how stressed you feel.
    westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

Perhaps there should be a means of assessing the quality of work that individual teachers do. Some I know are very dedicated and work very hard. others are being “carried” by them, arriving late, minimum preparation etc. I guess the addage ” there are many willing workers here – some are willing to work and others are willing to let them” applies to all employment spheres. However I think where children’s education and care is concerned, accountability should be a prime concern.

That’s my thoughts anyway,
    Diane

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Yes,

I’m with Westan on this one..

Anyone who can stay calm & patient, and not be SCREAMING THEIR HEADS OFF at some of the kids at school these days deserves every cent we can give em.[8]

I am a nervous wreck just getting my 2 angels (prep & grade 1) ready for school in the morning!![xx(]

I think they work pretty hard for their money.

I don’t agree with all of their days off that they seem to get during the school term though, it mucks up lots of working parents. They always seem to fall on long weekends…suspicious!

Del

Profile photo of Gypsy_2Gypsy_2
    @gypsy_2

Most teachers deserve every cent they earn, and probably need the extended holidays to retain their sanity.
    Imagine putting up with up to 40 kids in non airconditioned classrooms over the last few weeks (poor kids too).
    Whenever industrial action is raised, the government plays the emotional (suffering children) blackmail card.
    Couple this with the removal of just about any diciplinary action teachers are allowed to apply to any uncontrollable child, the increasing (survival)paranoia of male teachers in handling students, and the frequent abuse of teachers by some parents, and you have a profession that is becoming more unattractive every year – and no – I’m not a teacher.

Profile photo of ShusharShushar
    @shushar

I agree – teachers deserve every cent they get.

The other side to holidays – do kids have the attention span to attend school for longer periods?

Isn’t eveyone suffering burn-out by the time school holidays role along.

How long are politicians on holidays for and are their salaries comparable???

Shushar

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

Teachers, do deserve every cent they get, but neverless i dont really like them…

right now im suppose to be in a lecture, but i got kicked out, long story, but to make it short… they dont like or approve… students answering there mobiles, while in class…

yet… still for some reason, even if the teacher is good i still dont really like them, just mainly many of them act like your a student, there a teacher and you have to listen, but do exactly what they say…. not good at all…

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi sis
    and if I was a teacher and you were in my class and answered your mobile, I’d kick you out too.
    Just like I’d regularly like to kick people out of meetings, lectures, performances, movies etc where they don’t have the common courtesy to turn off their phones.
    If it’s that important to get a call, put it on vibrate and leave the room before you answer. It’s incredibly disruptive to everyone else if it rings, let alone if you answer.
    Now I’m off that hobby horse… [:I]
    I have to agree with the comment that teachers have actually had some very good improvements in salary over the last few years. I do the pays for the staff at kinder, and last year I worked out that in the previous year (1 year!!) the average pay increase was 16% over all the staff.
    As staffing costs are our main expense, how much chance do you reckon I had of convincing the parents to cough up an extra 15% to cover that?
    The corresponding increase in government subsidy for 4yo kinder students hardly even scratched the surface.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.