All Topics / General Property / To Travel or Invest???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of bigbenbigben
    Participant
    @bigben

Hi All i was just wondering on the weekend if i should maybe stop putting off plans to travel overseas and just do it for a year or so.
    I have been staying put in OZ simply for the fact that i hate the thought of giving away money that i could be investing and making money from!
    I am wondering if any other people have been in this position and have either stayed and put off travel or have gone travelling and if they would have done things differently???
    Just some opinions please as it will be interesting to see other points of view!!

I guess another option would be to travel searching for realestate but that is not my main objective i want to travel for other reasons!!
    Benny.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I never started investing till I was in my early thirties anyway.

I did my degree qualified as an accountant then went to the UK and spent 2-3 yrs working and travelling. Met my wife on the way home. Dont talk to strangers on the Train.

I am not sure if you can quantify life experiences in the number of rental properties.

If I had my time again, I would still go overseas and travel.

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

Hi Benny
    Why not do both? Buy a property that’s below your means, get a good property manager and tenant and off you go! It doesn;t take a lot of money to travel depending on where you go and in what style. By the time you get back, you should have some equity built up to buy your next one.
    Judi

Profile photo of bigbenbigben
    Participant
    @bigben

Hi Judi and yack,
    I have made up my mind to go travelling next year anyhow but i was just wondering who else has been in similar circumstance.
    Judi i already have some properties that are doing well so i am confident that they will continue to improve.
    It seems that as Yackadoo said that you really can only get life experience from travelling and seeing other cultures.
    My propertys will hopefully be here when i return!![?]

Profile photo of Anthos99Anthos99
    Participant
    @anthos99

GO GO GO!! Travel while you can as there may come a day when you are unable to physically or situationally do so (although I hope not!)

I am in my mid 30’s & am yet to buy my first IP (so much research & reading still to do). I didn’t take off on my world trip until I was 30 & I had an ABSOLUTE BALL! Nothing equals the experience you gain & the sheer delight of travelling, meeting interesting new people & doing stuff you never even dreamed of. And as you already have a couple of properties, even better.

Stop being mean to yourself & GO. I am already worried about becoming obssessed with investing & losing sight of everyday pleasures (b/c I’ll be too mean to put my money anywhere else!) With your investing focus firmly in the back of your mind you never know what opportunities you may stumble across or people who might prove interesting and/or useful to you.

Enjoy your trip!. [:D]

Cheers,
    Anthos99

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

“If I had my time again, I would still go overseas and travel.”

Absolutly agree

Regards
    Julain [8)]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of BronBron
    Participant
    @bron

TRAVEL! TRAVEL! TRAVEL!

Bigben, if you can have the best of both worlds – you already have some IP’s and can afford to travel too – what are you waiting for?

My guess is that you will have many years to invest but you may not always have the chance to travel. Personally it’s just about my favourite thing to do. I’d jump at half a chance for a year OS! I’ve been lucky enough to have had several trips travelling to amazing places and meeting incredible people, the longest being 6 months. Not long enough!!

So pack your bag and take off! I’m very jealous by the way. With a bit of luck I might get 4 weeks around September. Sigh…..September seems so far away!

Have you thought about where you will go? (Sorry, can’t help myself!)

Cheers
    Bron

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Travel.

I backpacked in my thirties and I wish I had done it ten years earlier when I was young and single!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Luke_4Luke_4
    @luke_4

I’ve just gone through the same decision as you are now. As much as I love to travel, I must stay committed to my goals in investing.
    Seeing that you already have some deals under your belt you have to ask yourself if you’ve achieved what you set out to do in the first place. If you have -fantastic! If you haven’t -then maybe you should rethink what it is you really want.

All the best! [:D]
    Luke.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I agree, I think travel!

If you don’t you will maybe start to hate your investing for what you’re sacrificing. I dunno.!
    When you find a place to ‘settle down’ in and get in a position where you have a regular income, the bank will lend you money to start property investing.

Then again my partner met some people who had one flat in Dublin and were in Queenstown NZ living off the rental income- and basically could have done that indefinitely.

Profile photo of bigbenbigben
    Participant
    @bigben

Hi All,
    Thanks heaps for the posts it makes me feel more confident of my decision!

Well bron i am planning on getting a round the world ticket and going everywhere if i can but do it on the cheap so that i can hopefully stay away for 12 months…..yeah that would be cool!

Just became single after 4 years so maybe now is the time to go ….Meet some backpackers and all that jazz[:D]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I alway want a sport car, nothing fansy just the latest WRX, but I being put off for 3.5 years now. Every time I got the money I tend to think differently ie. property….

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to financial freedom]

Profile photo of soleilsoleil
    @soleil

Definately travel. Investing can always wait, travel is one of those things that you can easily keep putting off until it’s too late.

I had $10,000 to spend when I came out of a job at 20yrs old, I could either invest again (I’d already bought my first place which had the equity to get another one) or just drop everything and go…

I had always wanted to go to Africa & decided there’d never be the “right” time to go – ie I’d never be “well off” enough, or be situated properly job-wise, so I just dropped everything and went.

I came back a changed girl & think back to my incredible time there pretty much daily :) I’m SO glad that was the choice I made, it was the most amazing experience of my life, more so than investing ever will be (as fun as that is!). And now its a couple of years on and I’ve saved up enough to buy another property, so that is something that can still be done.

I could have that choice a hundred times and would choose to spend 10k on travel anyday. And I’m the worlds biggest tightass!

Have a great time!

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by soleil:

Definately travel. Investing can always wait, travel is one of those things that you can easily keep putting off until it’s too late.

Just a different point of view, that’s all! Here it is:
    Definately invest. Travel can always wait, investing is one of those things that you can easily keep putting off until it’s too late.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to financial freedom]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Travel. I am here in Austria first time travelling out of Australia in my 37 years. And how did I do it? Profit from an IP. Whz are we investing in property unless we want to improve our lives? And travel overseas is one way to do that.

Oh, by the way, Chan, I also used the profit to finish pazing off the Impreza- hehe.

Nice to see you all, my rich little friends!

kay henry [:o)]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.