All Topics / Opinionated! / Do you use the ADSL/Cable Internet

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hi Big Bothers,
    Currently I have joined the Optus Choice, ie I have tele (Two lines @$22), dial-up Internet (monthly $27.9 120Hr.), & TV ($44)with Optus, now I want to up grade my internet to ADSL or Cable, but i see that the Optus ADSL/Cable is expensive and Low Download limited, further more, I have three computers, I want them can share the ineternet as well. I also hav three kids , they always use the computer on line playing the games, I wonder how can I control them once I would have installed the boardband, because the boardband no need to key in the pass word, (Dial-up need a password to connect the iSP), here i try it sum up my isssue :
    1/ Which Broadband you currently use?
    2/ If i want to connect three computers on line, which plan/ISP is in a more econommical way.
    3/ How can I control the kids use the internet, is it any router/modem with a key or timer to lock the connection?
    4/ Dose the ADSL?Cable have conflict with MSN or
    Outlook?
    5/ Why the ISP need a contract? Any ISP without the contract?
    5/ Any furhter advice?

Thank you for your sharing
    Regards
    Julian
    [8)]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of p0sitiveCasHfl0wp0sitiveCasHfl0w
    @p0sitivecashfl0w

Hi Julian,

At home we currently subscribe to TPG ADSL. They have an unlimited plan – unlimited downloads and uploads, 256/64, unlimited number of network users all at $69.95 per month. If you want faster connection then be prepared to pay extra. I suggest that if you want to connect 3 computers online, you buy an all-in-one router/switch/firewall/adsl modem. TPG offers one and I think you get a $50 credit if you buy their model. There are many programs that can control internet use (i think Net Nanny is one). ADSL and Cable will not conflict with your MSN and Outlook. Umm if you need any further help just send me a private msg.

Cheers,

Jay

You must stay pOsitive
    …then the cAsHfl0w will come!

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Julian,

im with positivecashflow, also using TPG ADSL unlimited plan, do have a small LAN network at home, but dont have any passwords restrictions…(its only me… who uses it… [:o)])

Up in my Brisbane Residence we have Telstra Bigpond Cable Broadband connection, but were running one of the workstations as a server, but also as a mail exchange server at the same time. The LAN is just based on an IBM topology and a router, giving quick access to disconnect different nodes off the LAN. All Computer nodes are using OS XP, and all family members have there own user account to access the internet from the main server, but with administration access restriction there controls (though, on the setup we have, there is no restrictsions to anyone at all.)

Much the same as the way PositiveCashflow has mentioned, Using a Motorala Powered Modem with builtin firewall.

With the current LAN networks both in Brisban and Sydney, both have an FTP setup allowing files to be sent to each other, even when no one is about or at any of the workstations.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of kalonikaloni
    @kaloni

I have read recently that Optus
    was about to anounce a cheap package ADSL
    in the next few weeks
    Maybe with all the other Optus acc you have
    maybe they will give you a further discount

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

Julian, you might consider getting a wireless modem/router for home. You pay a few hundred bucks more for router and nics, but it’ll do away with the need to have cable running all over the place, and allows you to sit outside by the pool with your notebook. Netgear products are good.

If you go wireless, get the latest standard 802.11G. Further, get someone who knows what they are doing to install it. You will waste too much downtime doing it yourself, time better spent learning about investment. A good techie will explain all the steps and shouldn’t take anymore than 3-4 hours to have the machines running peer to peer. Don’t fret about all the security stuff they go on about with wireless, unless you have nerds living within 80 metres.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

@still-in-school

Hi Julian,

like suggested by thefirstbruce, wireless is another option, but if you do decide to go wireless, maybe bluetooh could be taken into consideration, im also using bluetooth technology, but it depends really on what type of work you do and how busy you are.

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of CarLoverCarLover
    Participant
    @carlover

I have Optus Cable. As I have 3 computers, I use a network router modem that enables me to share the internet connection.

I don’t have the problem of restricting kids though. That is a more difficult issue.

Cheers,

CarLover

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hi All Big Brothers,
    Thank you all for your input,but i really concern how to control the kids access the internet when i am away from home.As you know that they don’t need a password to access the internet. but on the hand, they need to us the computer to prepare their homework, that make me a headache [xx(],
    Any advice please

Regards
    Julain [8)]

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hi All Big Brothers,
    Thank you all for your input. At the momnet My most concern is how to control the kids access the internet (not access the computer) when I am away from home. otherwise, they will use the networked computers as as a game of war-field. [xx(]
    How can i control them accessing the internet?[xx(][xx(][xx(]

Regards
    Julian [8)]

@still-in-school

Hey Julian,

Really no matter what you do, they will always find away to bypass, your webfilters and restricted websites…. honestly i wouldnt be too concerned…

i can remember back in high school the teachers would restrict access to websites and try to put some control over… problem was, we always found a way to bypass….

honestly dont be to worried, if you do start putting restrictions on, you might find your kids trying to find out ways to bypass them…

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of CarLoverCarLover
    Participant
    @carlover

About the kids, I tend to agree. It may not be an issue that you can find a technical solution for. It might be easier to work out something with them than to look for a technical restriction.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I’m with Telstra Bigpond Broadband because at this point they have a monopoly in the street I live in!
    Apparently Optus is a better service. Telstra is pretty hopeless and drops out a fair bit. I pay about $90 a month. More if I go over 1 gig, or whatever I’m allowed.

We have three Macs running OS9 and I’m going to upgrade one of them to OSX soon. All are on a network via ethernet with an Asante network router (around $300-350) which not only has a built in firewall (I use Norton Personal Firewall on top, just to be sure -) but lets the printer share over the network too.

Not only that but the Network Router communicates directly with Bigpond rather than having to use their crap connection software.

What I did was first get the Telstra guy to install the rig on one computer (I don’t think they support networks) and then got my mac boffin to install the network router. All computers are online all the time, and thanks to the network router we can file-share too if we want to, though we only connect when we want to transfer data because otherwise it slows things down.

Apart from the increase in speed and productivity which I would now never give up even if it wasn’t ‘cashflow positive’, i think it’s no more expensive in the long run given that we had 2-3 people logging on to the net every day twice to several times a day. In fact I’m sure we end up saving. Also the phone-line stays free.

I think ADSL has a few problems still, or did when we were asking around our boffin friends which to choose,
    and was more expensive and not available in our area anyway.

cheers-
    mini

Profile photo of KenshinKenshin
    @kenshin

I just posted this in another section, not realising it has been already answered, however Ill copy and paste hoping to help abit with your questions, even though most have been answered.

1/ I recommend DART or Telpacfic, they offer unlimited and are a praise choice from internet users. You can compare prices and plans at http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au

2/ I would go with DART or Telpacfic as they offer unlimited so you dont get a nasty suprise when your bill comes.

3/ To control usage time, you would have to find a parental control software that can do so, i know for content programs like Netnanny will do the trick, you can download free trials i believe from http://www.download.com

4/ ADSL/Cable are same as dial up, no conflicts for ur internet related software.

5/ Dart has a contract that is only 3 months, though u will have pay more up front costs, as you have to obtain a modem, unless u bring ur own. Also there is a provisional line fee for all ADSL users or setup fee for cable users which the ISP cannot avoid, so thus the charges can be laid up front or paid over a long duration of time.

5/ Cause adsl is a constant connection, networkin ur computers will be a treat for many users in the family. You may wish to find a friend to set this networking feature up, such OS systems as WinXP have walkthrough wizards which will help with setting up a network. A PC Technican probably charge you $60 an hour to set this up. So additional cost will be a hub.. i recommend switch faster transfer rates when file transferin.. but hub is good 2. then u ll need network cables dependin how many comps u have as well as Network cards.

Network cards are about $30 each.
    Cables.. depend on length.. usually $5 for 5 metres
    Hub about $80 for decent one.

Have alook around for prices .. and even purchase ur own cable or adsl modem if u wish to save some cost and to obtain a relaible modem.

What I learnt yesterday, I know better for tommorrow – Dean

Profile photo of KenshinKenshin
    @kenshin

Julian I would just let them browser whatever through Internet Explorer, provided they use it then.. at end of day.. open IE up and press CTRL+H and get the history of visited websites.. if you see http://www.xxx.com then you can punish them through ur own means. [:D]

What I learnt yesterday, I know better for tommorrow – Dean

Profile photo of IndifferenceIndifference
    @indifference

To control kids access I suggest:

1. Parental control filter software.
    2. Use a small network or OS capable of setting up different access rights.
    ie. Using Windows XP on NTFS (not FAT32) you can give limited access accounts to kids, then they can’t change/install things that the ‘Administrator’ (you) doesn’t want them to.

I use a wireless ADSL modem/router, XP with NTFS, control software & the “big brother” is watching approach. To date we have had No problems [^]

Good Luck with your setup.

ps. I use internode [^] they are great for my usage

…emotion clouds good judgement but is a defining element of character.

@thefirstbruce

julian, products like cyberpatrol

http://www.cyberpatrol.com/product/quick_start_guide2.aspx

and

netnanny

http://store.netnanny.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=466106&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=53&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

allow you to block access to specific users between hours chosen by you.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

I have the bigbond cable, and only had it just over a month, and have had no problems at all, not even drop out. Sometimes it just takes 2 times to connect that’s all.

I am thinking about wireless networking also I currently have 2 home pc’s networked but would need to buy a router and more cable if I was to network my laptop. The cost of wireless is higher, but I can see me working in the back yard with he laptop. Having said that the advice I was given at the pc shop Is to is stick with cable connections as its much faster then wireless. Also neighbours can log into your system on wireless.

Therefore I still haven’t decided which will better suit me ………LOL

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

@thefirstbruce

Julian, using adsl and fax on the current fax line should be fine. Get a techie to do it, and ask before he comes out whether he can set it up like that.

Basically, he’ll create a new wall jack using the current fax line which you will plug the adsl modem into. The modem will be connected to a router, and all the computers will plug into the router.

You should be able to leave the current fax line connection plugged into your computer as is.

ADSL is designed to share calls and internet on the one line. Make sure the tech installs a noise filter when he ‘splits’ the fax line. This enhances adsl speed when the fax is operating.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

all i can say is, bigpond cable, $69.95 per month, unlimited speed, unlimited downloads, if u apply before 29th Feb, free installation, 2 months free [^][^]

Cheers Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

@still-in-school

Hi Julian,

If you have the time and want to try something different, try bluetooth technology… similar to wireless and infra red, but different, though very similar on the same scale. using bluetooth technology and is working great…

Cheers,
    sis

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.