All Topics / Help Needed! / ADSL/Cable Internet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hi Big Bothers,
    Currently I have joined the Optus Choice, ie I have tele (Two lines @$22), dial-up Internet (monthly $27.9 120Hr.), & TV ($44)with Optus, now I want to up grade my internet to ADSL or Cable, but i see that the Optus ADSL/Cable is expensive and Low Download limited, further more, I have three computers, I want them can share the ineternet as well. I also hav three kids , they always use the computer on line playing the games, I wonder how can I control them once I would have installed the boardband, because the boardband no need to key in the pass word, (Dial-up need a password to connect the iSP), here i try it sum up my isssue :
    1/ Which Broadband you currently use?
    2/ If i want to connect three computers on line, which plan/ISP is in a more econommical way.
    3/ How can I control the kids use the internet, is it any router/modem with a key or timer to lock the connection?
    4/ Dose the ADSL?Cable have conflict with MSN or
    Outlook?
    5/ Why the ISP need a contract? Any ISP without the contract?
    5/ Any furhter advice?

Thank you for your sharing

Julian [8)]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of KenshinKenshin
    @kenshin

1/ I recommend DART or Telpacfic, they offer unlimited and are a praise choice from internet users. You can compare prices and plans at http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au

2/ I would go with DART or Telpacfic as they offer unlimited so you dont get a nasty suprise when your bill comes.

3/ To control usage time, you would have to find a parental control software that can do so, i know for content programs like Netnanny will do the trick, you can download free trials i believe from http://www.download.com

4/ ADSL/Cable are same as dial up, no conflicts for ur internet related software.

5/ Dart has a contract that is only 3 months, though u will have pay more up front costs, as you have to obtain a modem, unless u bring ur own. Also there is a provisional line fee for all ADSL users or setup fee for cable users which the ISP cannot avoid, so thus the charges can be laid up front or paid over a long duration of time.

5/ Cause adsl is a constant connection, networkin ur computers will be a treat for many users in the family. You may wish to find a friend to set this networking feature up, such OS systems as WinXP have walkthrough wizards which will help with setting up a network. A PC Technican probably charge you $60 an hour to set this up. So additional cost will be a hub.. i recommend switch faster transfer rates when file transferin.. but hub is good 2. then u ll need network cables dependin how many comps u have as well as Network cards.

Network cards are about $30 each.
    Cables.. depend on length.. usually $5 for 5 metres
    Hub about $80 for decent one.

Have alook around for prices .. and even purchase ur own cable or adsl modem if u wish to save some cost and to obtain a relaible modem.

What I learnt yesterday, I know better for tommorrow – Dean

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

I use Optus Cable and it sings like a kitten.
    Most ISP’s (I work for the largest in the world as a pre sales technical engineer) contract customers to protect thier investment and budget with re-occuring monthly revenue streams. – Much like you will if you get ito rental or wrapping investments (either as a private lender -taking a 15%+ cut – or as an active investor)

It does matter who you are using as your internet provider and the old saying goes ….. you get what you pay for and always look for hidden costs such as uploads and excess data rates.

Check out the SLA’s (service level agreements) and compare with providers to get the best quality for your buck…. I think NetSpace are fairly good and are getting a fair share of the DSL retail customers due to good speeds and uptime….. for an unbieased view of consumers opinions…. goto http://www.whirlpool.net.au.

Networks are very simple to set up and I would suggest a switch as you will get more throughput on your network. You can choose going wireless to keep the cable mess down but the costs are a bit more due to the costs of cards and base stations devices. Advantage here is you can move house without having to relocate all the cabling … and you do not have to drill holes in the floor to get the cables all back to the switch.

Also I would suggest getting a firewall (Either Software based or a hardware appliance), you can get a free trial of Zone Alarm @ http://www.download.com

you can get all sorts of proxy software off the download site to control your other machines accesing hte network also. I have a netgear router that shows me all the urls that access the internet and make sure I run through them once a week to make sure my kids are behaving…. they know that If I find out they are going to naughty sites …… watch out [;)]

Anyway …. hope this gives you a few ideas …. if you need a hand with hardware …(Cabling….. cards, routers, firewalls etc…. drop me a line.
    Cheers.
    Kiwi[:o)]

Profile photo of WauloKWauloK
    @waulok

1/ Which Broadband you currently use?
    2/ If i want to connect three computers on line, which plan/ISP is in a more econommical way.
    3/ How can I control the kids use the internet, is it any router/modem with a key or timer to lock the connection?
    4/ Dose the ADSL?Cable have conflict with MSN or
    Outlook?
    5/ Why the ISP need a contract? Any ISP without the contract?
    5/ Any furhter advice?

1. I just got a friend on SwiftDSL (www.swiftdsl.com.au) and others recommend it (ADSL)
    2. Any is fine. It’s just up to you how much you spend.
    3. http://www.we-blocker.com – free internet blocking software I use for my 5yo son.
    4. Neither will conflict at all.
    5. ISPs have a contract to keep the money rolling in.
    6. Another good one is http://www.exetel.com.au

Install an Antivirus Product!!! Norton’s Antivirus always rates the best results.

Install a firewall! Zone Alarm is free.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zadb_zadown

Some Broadband companies will give you a limit, but NOT charge you if you go over it. They will just slow down your download speed to the same as a dialup modem.

Hopeful, keen and learning

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hi, Waulok, KiKI, Kenskin &……
    I have two computer now, both use Window Xp, one is home edition another is Pro. But can’t connect together either networking nor internet sharing, thought i sent them to computer shop many times for fixing, but still don’t working.

1/ Any big brother what’s wrong with my computers
    2/ If I change to ADSL. Could I solve Networking and Internet Sharing?

Regards
    Julain

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Julian,

depending on what type of adsl you purchase it might have a built in router, which will allow you, to have both computers runing the internet seperately, but still there will be no network connection between the 2.

How are you connecting the computers together, are you doing a straight peer to peer connection via NICs or are you doing the connection via USB ?

If you are doing it by NICs are you sure you are using the right cabling, where the connection will be using a crossover cabling? you might have everything working correctly, right click on network neighbourhood, and check to see if you are using a static IP address, as your using a crossover connection, and check that the first 3 numbers of the IP address are the same on both machines, the last number can be anything, but also check that both your computers, have the same subnet mask entry.

Also check that both computers are using the same domain and workgroups as well.

just have a quick check of these things first, as this could just be the minor problem your recieving.

After closing network neighbourhood, you will be prompted to reboot your computer.

Have a go, but it might just be one minor little thing, that you just overlooked.

Cheers and goodluck,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.