All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenant/Rent Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Hi guys!
    Just a quick question.. I’ve been renting a place for the past 9 months (12 month lease). I’ve broken the lease early but have done the right thing and paid the PM advertising fees ($500) plus a further $80/w for advertising in the SMH. The PMs have found a new tenant that will be moving in this weekend. Now, we pay our rent one month in advance on the 15th of each month. My question is.. because the tenants will be moving in this weekend (21/2) can I just pay that portion of the month’s rent (i.e. 6 days or so)? Or will I have to pay the whole month’s rent? I’m planning on calling the PM soon to see what he has to say but just wanted to make sure first :)

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers! [^]

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Definitely only the portion of the month that you rented the property for.

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Awesome :)
    Thanks for that VERY quick reply. :D

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

That’s an awful lot of $$$ for advertising!! You will also have to pay the ‘letting’ fee that the agents otherwise charge for finding the tenant which is usually a week’s rent.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by ANUBIS:

Definitely only the portion of the month that you rented the property for.

Anubis,

Is this your opinion or is it based on the residential tenancy act?

Check with your PM. You do not want to make any mistakes that could jeopardise the smooth refund of your bond!

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of investorgirlinvestorgirl
    Participant
    @investorgirl

Yes, definitely only the portion of the month, until the new tenant moves in. I also believe that while you are responsible for the cost of advertising (which in your case seems excessively high) you should only be paying pro rata for the reletting fee. So if the agent charges $500 to the owner for reletting, and you only have 3 months left on your lease (i.e you have fulfilled 3/4 of your contract), you should only have to pay $125 (quarter of the fee). It should be worth pointing this out to the agent, regards investorgirl

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.