All Topics / General Property / painting to increase value

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

Does it cost nearly $1000 to paint just a 3bd single storey (about 21 squares)?

HOw many litres of paint will be needed to paint the plasterboard walls inside? FOr those who are experienced, please give me an approximate average.

I am thinking of buying the paint myself to save on the cost I was quoted by the painters.

ANyone know anywhere in Melbourne u can get paint at discounted price?

thanks!

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Fullout,

Many people prefer to buy quality paint as it makes the work so much easier. Cheap paint is horrible to use.

You can buy Dulux 101 at Kmart for about $125 for ten litres. We recently used 26 litres to paint a 5 bedroom home on the inside. That included semi gloss for the wet areas.

I think painters get the paint cheaper than you and I can. It is the labour component that you will save the money on! If you do it yourself then you will probably need to spend less than $100 on equipment and allow a few days to get the job done.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

Hi Fullout. I use more paint than Simon. You need to work it out your self, based on 16 m2/litre. You need 2 coats and use differrent types for room walls, ceilings, bathroom/kitchen, doors/windows.

I had 2 quotes to repaint only walls in my kitchen/dinning, TV room & lounge room. Both quotes are $2000. I did the job myself for less than $500 for paints & equipments which included different colors for feature walls, ceilings, windows/doors & frames. I reused the equipments for my IP. To save money (claim tax) it should be the other way around.

If you have a lot to do you can negotiate with the paint shops to get a special discount.

Enjoy.

Regards

Huey

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Hi Fullout.

The issue of “how much paint” is not a straight forward as xx per meter.
    It depends on the state of the walls, the paint quality, tradesman ship and even the roller quality.

I used once 4 litres of cheap paint for three walls in a small room of new plasterboard.

If your walls are new or of a colour that differs a lot from the new colour, you must give one coat of undercoat. Remember that before the undercoat you also must go over all the bumps, holes, nails dents and bad finish from before with pre mixed Top Coat, ($16×4 kg at Mitre Ten) apply with plastic spatula.

I hired a “painter” last year for a property I have in Campbelltown because I needed a quick fix between tenants and he assured me I did not need undercoat.

Now the walls were of a deep yellow like the smilies on this BB, the problem is that every room was of a different tone of yellow. Result, now all rooms have a nice smooth cream colour but each room is still different from the other because the cheap paint used (Trader from Taubmans) does not cover properly with two coats.

Ergo:
    Buy good paint, ‘Living proof’ from Taubmans, or any other top of the range from Dulux and even Bristols.

Rule of thumb, ask which one are the two higher priced in the same line brand. Say one is $120 x 10 litres and the other is $110 x 10 litres chances are that they are the same only the more expensive has to pay for some advertising campaign. Never buy the cheapest of all.

As far as litres is concerned, I find the 26 litres per five bedrooms a fantastic result.

If you are going to paint yourself, you will use much more paint than the professional will. You did not say if you are going to paint the ceiling, but assuming you are, my guesstimate is that you will probably use 30 litres of paint. The doors and windows are another matter and do not forget that kitchen and bathroom are better off with oil based or some more gloss mould resistant stuff.

But rather than buying too much paint, buy 20 litres and you can always buy more if you know the name of the colour. Of course to top up, always buy the same brand and in the same shop if possible.

Good luck, and when you buy your rollers, remembers that cheap rollers are nasty to use. I would buy a 27cm wide medium pile ($30 for the roller) a handle not a cheap one so it does not bend under pressure and a pole to roll without using the ladder. You will also need a good brush. There are some new synthetic one that are tops for doing the cuts and edges ($30)

If you need to do some patches of plaster with Top Coat, buy yourself a sanding pad to screw on top of the pole ($14), it will make your life that much easier. Remember that the patches need undercoat and one extra paint coat or they will show even after the second finishing coat.

Stains of water-based paint can be removed from your floor with Methylated spirit if they are dry, but are very hard to clean from the carpet.

May God bless you
    and prosper you.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Let me think exactly what I used. My place has full length built ins and big windows so wall space might be a little reduced.

Flat paint two coats – 24l

Gloss Trim paint – 4l

Semi Closs paint for kitchen and bathroom above tiles and also toilet – 4l

Ceiling paint onecoat – 8l

OK so I guess we used about 40l all up. But there is a bit left over as well!

We also used 2l of White Knight enamel and 1l of undercoat for the bathroom and kitchen tiles.

Remember this is 5 bedrooms and a lounge as well as a decent hallway too.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

As everyone has stated here the quality of the paint, brushes and rollers counts..

Painters ‘do’ get the paint cheaper, will do the job better ( usually ) and quicker.. however i enjoy doing the job and like the savings gained..

As was said previously, you can’t be perfect on the estimates of ltrs needed, to many variables and you may be a bit heavy handed, you’ll need leftovers anyway for any touch up work..

Remember- The best way to make sure of a good job is “preperation”.. of the surface etc.. work from the top down [^]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

It just depends on whether your time is worth more or less than a tradesman’s. If it’s more, then you would be silly to not hire someone, unless you thought it was fun or something.

cheers-
    Mini

It’s fun throwing paint around for about 5 minutes in my opinion and then you feel sick (fumes – especially the paving paint, which btw is so brilliant looking for doorsteps, concrete patios etc and comes in groovy colours like brick red etc – but is so so so toxic and disgusting that everyone who used it felt sick. No thanks. I love hiring people.
    The lady I use is 15 per hour and an amateur, but she is absolutely brilliant. And quite experienced having renovated several houses. (and we didn’t make her use the paving paint!)

Another PS about the paving paint
    About 15 years ago I painted the floor of a band practice room above a garage with paving paint over concrete. Visited the place again recently, it’s still a band practice room, and the paving paint is still going strong (and can guarantee that nobody’s repainted it since) despite 15 years of bodgie bands coming and going)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.