All Topics / Help Needed! / more reno advice please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

Has anyone an opinion on kitchen renos: Replacing the lot V’s replacing the benchtop and doors and re-laminating the in between bits? The kithchen in question is an L shape against two walls, is 30 years old and is timber veneer. I’m guessing if it is sturcturally OK and the price is better, then the 2nd option would be best. Are there any other considerations?
    Thanks, Judi

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you do replace a kitchen then shop around a lot.

I was quoted $3500 – 4000 from a lot of places then eventually got the same thing for $2000 direct from the manufacturer.

Get a quote for redoing the doors and tops but do so direct from a small factory and you will be surprised at the savings. Don’t go to a kitchen showroom – they really bump up the prices!

Even the plainest melamine kitchen looks terrific if you splash out on expensive handles. I used the steel T handles and everyone comments on what a nice kitchen it is – even with the cheap doors.

Another tip if you use melamine is to get the 2mm PVC edging rather than the thin melamine edging. It is so much stronger and doesn’t cost much more.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

Thanks Simon
    I think I will end up using melamine. That’s a good tip about the handles.
    Judi

Profile photo of rooneyrooney
    @rooney

Hi Judi,

Simon is pretty spot on with his advise.I am a project manager for a large well known kitchen company.

The option of replacing doors and bechtops is a good one especially if the insides of the cabinets are still in reasonable condition.

My advice would also to be to go for a melamine or laminate doors with the 2mm PVC edging especially if its for a rental property as it is about the hardest wearing and still pretty easy to keep clean.

I would avoid using a “vinyl wrapped” door as 90% of our warranty work is for this type of door, where the vinyl starts to lift off.

Shop around because there are huge price differences between different companies for virtually the same product. Even the larger companies sometimes get their benchtops or doors from the smaller manufacturers. Our company buys in the benchtops rather than making their own.

Hope this has helped a little.

Rooney.

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Hi Judi,
    Have you tried looking in the paper yet? I’ve found that the Trading Post can sometimes have some very cheap kitchens for sale.. e.g. 2-3yr old kitchens complete with appliances for less than $500. It might save you having to take measurements and finding doors to fit etc..

Rooney.. does your company do cheapish customer kitchen cabinets? (i.e. white laminate) I bought some overhead cupboards that came with some extra doors/drawers which could be used to make the bottom part of the kitchen/bench but need the cabinets.. let me know if you do :)

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.