All Topics / Help Needed! / Assumable Mortgages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Chan PaulChan Paul
    Participant
    @chan-paul

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if an Australian can takeover an assumable mortgage in another country?

Also, are there any lenders in Australia that will lend you $$$$ for international property investing?

[8)]

Thanks

If Its Going To Be It Is Up To Me…

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hallo Aussies, hope you’re geared up for the Olympics.

to answer your questions, I don’t know. But I thought I’d bring this post to the front again. Michael R if he’s around should be able to help with that one – he is a Kiwi (I think) who invests in the States and knows his stuff.

Perhaps you could also ask this question in the finance forum – a lot of the brokers hang out there[:)]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Chan PaulChan Paul
    Participant
    @chan-paul

Thanks for replying,

I have posted the question on the finance forum too…

Yes we are ready for the Olympics, but are they? [8]

Thanks

AIA

It it is going to be, it is up to me….

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“I was wondering if anyone knows if an Australian can takeover an assumable mortgage in another country?”

Depends on the country and its foreign investment policy.

Check whether the country where you plan to invest permits foreigners to own property. Many countries do not permit foreigners to acquire real estate without immigrant status.

Also, there may be restrictions on buying a property type or in a specific location.

A method used to purchase real estate in a foreign country is to set up a trust [if applicable to non-residents] and then lease the property.

First consult with a reputable lawyer – the Australian embassy or consulate in the country where you plan to invest should have a list of qualified lawyers.

Before you make a real estate purchase, understand the customs and laws of the foreign government with regard to real estate. In the event of a dispute, you will have to abide by local laws.

“Also, are there any lenders in Australia that will lend you $$$$ for international property investing?”

Most institutional lenders will provide financing for offshore investment if the loan is secured where it originates i.e. in Australia.

— Michael

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.