All Topics / General Property / Picking your Investing ‘Team’

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of itsamooreyitsamoorey
    @itsamoorey

Hi all,

I’m looking for an investment team, does anyone have any recommendations? I’m looking for a team that I will use remotely as I work in a remote location myself and face to face time is a rare commodity for me.

I already have a mortgage broker and an agent in the locality i’ve chosen to start in.

A CPA in the North Queensland area would be fantastic but how do you know whether your accountant fully understands property investing and can offer you the best advice? I know I could ask them but how many would answer honestly?

Does anyone else have an investment team that they don’t physically meet face to face?

Have fun,
    itsamoorey[8)]
    [email protected]

One of these days i’m going to put a good, funny, witty comment here.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I would think that you certainly need an architect or builder on your team who is prepared to make inspections for you.

Pisces

Profile photo of itsamooreyitsamoorey
    @itsamoorey

Hi Pisces,
    I need to find decent builders all around the country. i guess i’ll have to just use the yellowpages? i have a great builder in brisbane but none around the rest of aus.

itsa

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Whatever you do Itsamoorey make sure you employ someone who has Professional Indemnity insurance and who supplies a report in writing.

Pisces

@itsamoorey

Thanks,
    i’ll keep that in mind
    itsamoorey

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Itsamoorey,

Your investment team need not be located in the local area.

Sure you may find an ‘expert’ in your local area but with modern technology and communication infrastructure it isn’t essential to do a face to face all of the time.

Don’t restrict yourself unnecessarily.

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I use a conveyancing lawyer close to where I am buying. Local knowledge, the more the better, is what you want when buying away from where you live, and that’s one more person on your side with the stuff. not to mention, the prices are very reasonable – quarter of the price of my Sydney lawyer.

@itsamoorey

Thanks Derek and Mini,

I’m ready to invest in the first of 5 houses for this

year, am doing the last bit of due diligence as these

will be my first ip’s… scary stuff!!! i’m sure that

just like everything it gets easier and easier, i think

that i’ll make a checklist for new players?

have a good day
    itsa[:I]

Profile photo of BronBron
    Participant
    @bron

itsa!

Congrats on your first IP!!!!

As another new player I’m here to say – Love to see your checklist!!

Have had Steve McK’s “Buyer Beware” package for a week, which seems pretty good to the untrained eye. I’m sure I’ll develop my own over time but looks a good place to start!

Cheers
    Bron

Profile photo of wrogers17206wrogers17206
    @wrogers17206

I have bought 2 investment properties in Queensland and live in a remote area I used Conveyancing Works $795 for all conveyancing I used email, phone and fax to correspond. For building and pest inspections I used QHBR I used these as it was a fixed fee The building and pest used locals. I found both services terrific

Profile photo of Rhino_2Rhino_2
    @rhino_2

G’day itsamoorey,

I have found for me personally it’s best to stick with one person, be it bank manager or mortgage broker, to handle all your loans no matter where the properties are located. This way you gain a better business relationship and inturn they tend to try harder for you. Minimogal said get a conveyancy lawyer as they have local knowledge which I totally agree with. Another benefit of doing this is that a good one will also organise the builders, pest and electrical inspection reports on your behalf for only the cost of the reports.

Best of luck,

Rhino [:)]

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

Personally I got my contacts started from people who had used them, sort of an insuance policy, if someone recommends a trade person, you can almost bet they were ok. I say this becaause anyone that has had a bad run in, will most certainly bad mouth the trades person.

Example, I had new bathroom kitchne and building renos done to my home. I went shopping around at bathroom places, asked questions and found 3 contacts, got quote spoke to them and one year later I made my choice. I would recommned my bathroom guy. Not only that but the 37 people I had come through my house in 3 weeks to fit carpets, appliances and the rest, went away with names and contacts. They saw the work done, and know I was happy too.

Given I had a set of trades per job, that is some networking.If I had an issue, I addressed it, even if I yelled at them! (moi? I wouldnt do that)- stressed, you do anything. They were all impressed with each others work, but golly where was my credit for all the hard work I had done? Out of this, I would recommned all product and or trades, with one exception, my kitchen company. Now this is a stunning kitchen, but the customer relations on their part, you bet, I will bad mouth them. Not only that but I wold never go back to their franchise again.

I do all my work over the phone and email. I live in another state to my investments.

As for building inspections: I used contacts as supplied by my family, who had used them. Very thorough so now if I use that area, I use him, he has had 6 building inspections and I get a bit of a discount.

He intern made a suggestion when I asked about a pest inspector, so hes on my regular list. I have a good rapport with both.

My solicitor- was via a friend in commercial lettings, this was exceptionaly good until recently, when she had a breakdown and I ahve not heard anymore, there is some unfinished work to do, which does concern me, but I will move on.

My accountant, again was great, I think he is worn out, so I am looking for a change.

My bank manager changed locations, and I followed. How many bank managers call in and bring you a bottle of red on their way to their holiday destination, out of the way to the ariport? Mine.

My electrician, is on call

My property manager has finally come to grips with my style, but she also knows, if I dont like something, she will wear it in some way.

Dont be afraid to change if those being paid by you to do work for you, are not working for YOU. Because it isnt worth it in the end.

I have a good list of contacts and my netwroking is pretty good, this is how you get things done, and how people react to you, it is how you get work done on a phone call, because you have that rapport, bills fall into the background.

does this help?
    so ask around
    ask questions
    dont be afraid to dump em if not happy
    build a network
    build rapport
    be consistent
    tell them what you want
    tell them how you work or operate
    ask them their expectations, and give yours basically.

things get easier when they feel comfortable.

Elves

Profile photo of PenguinJrPenguinJr
    @penguinjr

So we should only have a banker/mortgage broker?
    Whereas we can have a different conveyancer, solicitor, etc according to the locations?

Financially Independent = Gateway to FastTrack

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

actually I use different solicitors for different things, depending on WHAT their speciality is. I have a solicitor.lawyer for my personal estate things, eg power of attorney, will, etc

I have one for properties, in the area (state anyway)

I keep one accountant

I keep one bankmanager the reason for this, he knows my situation, he knows me personally, he knows my finances and he works er laterally as a result. When you are talking some cross collateralised properties, best you keep it all in one basket, my way anyway, each to their own.

I have used a conveyancer, for my own home as I was not established at the time.

You have ot consider woud you get better service or cheaper rates, for the more work you shove their way?

Or do you want to keep what the right and left hand know as separate?

elves

Profile photo of BronBron
    Participant
    @bron

All very useful! Thanks Elves!

Cheers
    Bron

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

itsamoorey,

I’m a CPA but not in Northern Queensland my closest office to you is Maroochydore. We do great things over the internet. Send me your e-mail address and I will send you our free Rental Property Booklet. Just put Rental Property Booklet in the subject. Or you can down load it off our web page http://www.bantacs.com.au

[email protected]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.