All Topics / General Property / Days numbered for Kiwis getting dole in Australia

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys
    Article in tomorrow morning’s NZ Herald.

How will this affect all those landlords who rent to unemployed NZers who may loose their dole.
    Do you want all these NZers becoming Australian residents so that they can retain their welfare payments?
    Otherwise they will have to come back to NZ.
    Great. NZ landlords will have a sudden influx of prospective tenants.

Days numbered for Kiwis getting dole in Australia

15.02.2004 – 5.30pm
    Thousands of New Zealanders in Australia will lose their right to claim welfare payments unless they apply to become Australian residents within the next 10 days.

The Australian Government is about to close a loophole that allowed several thousand New Zealanders who arrived between February and May 2001 to continue receiving benefits without a certificate of residence.

The certificates are available from the government’s employment agency Centrelink and must be lodged by February 25.

New Zealanders who migrate to Australia will no longer have an automatic entitlement to permanent residency after living there for two years but will have to compete with other migrants for permanent residency.

Those who miss out will still be allowed to live and work in Australia but only permanent residents will be able to claim many Australian social welfare benefits, including the dole.

New Zealanders are notoriously reluctant to adopt Australian citizenship — only 34 per cent of immigrants have switched allegiance, the lowest proportion of any national group.

The low level of naturalisation compares to around 99 per cent for arrivals from Sudan and Somalia, and 75 per cent for immigrants overall.

Britons are the next least likely to take out citizenship but their rate is still higher than New Zealand at 64 per cent.

Citizenship Minister Gary Hardgrave blamed sporting loyalties, proximity and traditional trans-Tasman rivalry for New Zealanders’ reluctance .

“Familiarity breeds a little bit of contempt,” he said.

– NZPA

Regards

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Gee Muppet

i hope they don’t stop us aussie who are living on the NZ welfare system [8]

i agree send them all back to NZ where they will need to find rental accomodation. [:D]
    regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Westan

How many NZers are living in Australia anyway?
    Guess 250,000?

NZ had 45,000 immigrants last year or was it in 2002.
    The number is expected to drop to around 12,000 this year. BUT there could be a sudden influx of NZers returning sometime soon. mmmmmmmmm I wonder?

I know. This is a cunning ploy by the Australian Government to drop house prices and rents by getting rid of several thousands of tenants.

Regards

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I think it’s the Aussie govt’s idea of a win-win deal. A bit more cashflow for the govt, and capital gains for NZ. (you with me??)

@muppet

Hi Min

I love the thought of all those welfare people coming back to NZ.

Will have to give my mortgage broker a ring tomorrow.[:D]

Regards

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

i know a number of people have said there are about 1 million Kiwi’s spread all over the world. The thinking goes if the world gets a bit more dangerous (say terrorism) then a large number of these will return to their homeland, the safest country in the world. The speculation is what would this do to an already bouyant property and rental market. It is an interesting thought, as NZ is already seeing an influx of people since Sept 11, alot of expats returning as well as people from the UK and america. (i have only anecdotal evidence for this and haven’t see statistics yet).

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

@muppet

Hi Westan

Yeah, I have heard the same thing to.
    I don’t think all would come back but if only 10% decided to come back in a 12mth period all hell would reign in NZ.

Already a large number send money back to NZ and get their parents to invest and also to buy investment property.

Could be alot of ill feeling amonst some methinks.[:(!]

Regards

Profile photo of FibejebeFibejebe
    @fibejebe
    Originally posted by muppet:

Hi Guys <snip>
    The Australian Government is about to close a loophole that allowed several thousand New Zealanders who arrived between February and May 2001 to continue receiving benefits without a certificate of residence.

<snip>
    Citizenship Minister Gary Hardgrave blamed sporting loyalties, proximity and traditional trans-Tasman rivalry for New Zealanders’ reluctance .

“Familiarity breeds a little bit of contempt,” he said.

– NZPA

Regards

Firstly, not sure why 4 months of 2001 have been targeted and really doubt that it will create a massive exodus from Australia. “Several thousand” means anything above three thousand maybe.

Secondly, in reply to Hardgraves comments. “What a load of bulldust!” I have lived in Oz over 15 years, not claimed the dole, always had higher than average paying jobs, therfore always paid higher than average taxes and now they are basically forcing me to apply for citizenship with the threat that you have to be here 10+ years before you can claim senior cits pension. Hell, by the time I am eligible, I will have paid more tax than most with a birthright to the country. Also, because of asset accumulation, I am going to be forced to be a self funded retiree anyway.

Sometimes makes you wonder whether you would have been better claiming centrelink payments all your life and developing an all over suntan rather than an investment portfolio.

My reason for not applying for citizenship has nothing to do with the fact that I wore red sox during the Americas cup boat race, or have an all blacks jumper! Australia is the most over governed country per head of population in the world when you take into account local government, state and federal. Why have the operation just to support the b*st*rds?

And don’t tell me that I can have dual citizenship. I already have that. And my pommie passport is worth more that an aussie one ever will be and I have never set foot in the UK at all. Go figure!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.