All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Avoiding CGT in NZ

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of bedwardsbedwards
    Participant
    @bedwards

Hi all,

Is it possible avoid CGT on the sale of a NZ inv property by setting up a trust in NZ? If the beneficaries are Aust residents, is CGT applicable due to the flow through nature of a trust?

I guess if this is possible, it may be worth while for an investor already holding IP as an individual, to transfer ownership to the trustee – as there is no stamp duty payable.

Bryce

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

CGT is not payable in New Zealand.

CGT is incurred in Australia when capital gains originate offshore.

— Michael

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

Michael

I don’t quite understand. If an Australian sells an IP in NZ and makes a profit, do they pay CGT in Australia?

Judi

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

To clarify.. if the captial gain/profit is brought back to Australia then CGT can apply.

A qualified tax accountant will provide information specific to the case in point.

— Michael

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

As a general rule Australia asserts jurisdiction to tax its residents on their foreign source income including CGT. Interposition of non-resident companies or trusts will raise a number of other complex issues which would need specific professional advice.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hey what if in the year you sold all your NZ assets you moved there for a holiday and became a NZ tax payer, then you wouldn’t pay CGT ?? (not my stategy).
    and Bryce with a trust all the profit must be disributed at the end of each financial year so the tax would need to be paid by the benificiaries.

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of bedwardsbedwards
    Participant
    @bedwards

Thanks for your comments folks, that gives me a better understanding. Intersting concept with the NZ holiday Westan.

Bryce

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.