All Topics / Finance / Second Mortgage

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

Hi all
    Can someone please explain how a second mortgage works? If I borrow 80% from a bank, the bank keeps the title deed as security. If the vendor leaves in 20% IO for 5 years for example, what security do they have? Would the bank know (or care) about the second mortgage? [?]
    Thanks for your help
    Judi

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The second mortgage is just like the first mortgage, but can only come after the first. ie if you go belly up, the first mortgage gets first go and your security property and then the second mortgagor can have their turn. it is more risky for this reason (= higher rates).

I beleive the bank would have to give their permission for a second mortgage to be lodged. Some lenders don’t care, while others won;t allow it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

Thanks Terry
    If I had, for example, $10,000 of usable equity in one IP and nothing else, is it possible I could buy a $100,000 dollar property using a second mortgage? Or does it need to be bought with a deposit and the 2nd mortgage arranged later?
    Thanks again,
    Judi

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Judi,

This is easier than you think.

You draw the $10 000 and use it as a 10% deposit and then secure finance with your lender or another lender on the second property. This will be two stand alone first mortgages.

Don’t forget to consider buying costs as well.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@judi

Thanks Simon

Don’t forget to consider buying costs as well.

That’s why i was thinking a 2nd mortgage. The $10,000 would be literally all I’d have. It would also be lodoc therefore 20% deposit. I’m looking at options for buying a second property without any deposit, but it won’t happen for a couple of months yet.

Just trying to plan ahead

Judi

Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

why do not you save some money and use a gift from the vendor?

[email protected]

Profile photo of betterbizbetterbiz
    Participant
    @betterbiz

Pica – I hope you’re not about to suggest an inflated contract price ? [:)]

Judi – Have you thought about an unsecured personal loan (from a mainstream lender) to bridge the gap?

The interest rate could be better than a 2nd and way less hassle.

Getting permission for a 2nd to exist (from the holder of the first)sounds easy but doesn’t always work out that way.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Judi,
    Most banks in my experience, would not allow a second mortgage to be registered on title. However, it can be an unregistered mortgage – this will probably increase the interest rate though.

James

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Some banks will allow second mortgages (Adelaide, Bankwest are two).

Don’t forget you have to show you can service the payments on the second mortgage as well as the first (or teh payments on a personal loan). Or you could use a credit card – some people do!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@judi

Thanks very much everyone. That’s given me some options to consider.
    Judi

Profile photo of allindanallindan
    Participant
    @allindan

I work as a conveyancing paralegal and we just settled on a property for our clients who had a First Mortgage with National Australia Bank and a Second Mortgage with Credit Union Australia.

Basically, if you want something, you just have to ask. Even if you are told No!, you will learn something from the experience.

Cheers
    Shaun[:)]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.