All Topics / General Property / Body Corporate – Repairs to Units

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Hi

I have a unit in a Body Corp. We dont have a Body Corp manager – just one of the people that live in the units manages the Body Corp.

I would like to know what you would expect the Body Corp to cover when it comes to Repairs and Maintenance?

I know some body corps decide that each owner has to fix his/her unit while others say its the Body Corp responsibility. And I know its upto the body Corp members to decide the policy. I would just like to know what may be the most common policy.

Who should pay the following do you think;

1. Painting of windows and garage doors at front of unit?
    2. Painting of facia and windows in backyard. No-one can see from front.
    3. Repair to a leaking roof in flat 2. Its a flat roof and on-one can see from the front
    4. Leaking downpipe at front of unit 4.

Any comments appreciated

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hi Yack, I always thought that everything INSIDE including the ceiling and walls and floor is the responsibility of the owner.

ANd everything outside such as downpipes, roof, outside walls, facia, gutters, all outside painting, is the responsibility of the body corp.

May be I’m wrong? Just thought I read this somewhere sometime.

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

a couple of others that have happened to me that the body corp paid for,
    toilet blocked, caused by main sewarage outside.
    leaking roof to top unit cracked ceiling.
    electricity cable burnt out in unit caused by fuse box
    and,
    washing machine flooded, the drain pipe from top unit leaked into bottom unit. the body corp paid for all repairs.

Lead, Follow or get out of the bloody way

Profile photo of DavidCDavidC
    Participant
    @davidc

The body corporate is only responsible to common property, unless there is a by-law passed.

The strata schemes is governed by the Department of Fair Trading, if you have any questions they can help you to determine whether an issue is body corporate responsibility or the individual owners.

The executive committee of the body corporate must follow the rules set out in the legistration governing strata schemes as to what repairs are to be made. This is the most common practice, as most strata body do not have their own set of rules drawn up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.