All Topics / Help Needed! / Tassie trip

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of markpatricmarkpatric
    @markpatric

I`m about to take a trip to Tassie to buy one CF+ house and wondered if Bear or anyone else in Tassie could give us a few pointers on the better areas to search/buy a good value rental?.

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

me too

Julian [:X]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Hi there,

The main Cf+ places you will find now are in housing commission areas or in rural areas. Hobart is very expensive after several years of strong growth. The best bet may be in the North West around Burnie and Devonport. Population of around 20k and 30k from memory, but while they have kicked on, it hasn’t been as significant as Launceston or Hobart.

If you look around Launceston you may find a CF nuetral in a reasonable area with some luck. Further afield, Georgetown (Nth of Lton) does have the occassional bargain still – very industrial town reliant on Comalco for much of the employment, but ex-housing commission houses tend to be sold regularly.

Less “nice” suburbs where a deal may be found in Lton include Waverly. Invermay/Inveresk, Mayfield, and Mowbray – Mowbray borders on the Uni so you can get great returns if you are prepared to rent out rooms rather than houses.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Profile photo of markpatricmarkpatric
    @markpatric

Thanks Anubis, I`ll check out those places.[^]

Profile photo of BlackJackBlackJack
    Participant
    @blackjack

I don’t know about the Launceston area (living in Hobart) but recent conversations would suggest avoiding housing commission areas (Rokeby, Warrane, etc) because of ongoing tenant problems and lack of enthusiasm from property managers and insurers.

Rental return would more likely be sought in the better or up and coming areas such as Sandy Bay, New Town or South Hobart. There are still “renovator’s delights” to be found if you have the time and tolerance. Otherwise, Moonah, Glenorchy and Claremont for extensions and upgrades.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.