Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i was wondering rather than money is ‘ownership’ the root of all evil.

our perceived need to own land, houses, material things, other people – is this what causes wars, jealousy, greed, discontentment????

or is the devil to blame

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I dont personally see how money can be the root of all evil and material things just dont do it for me…

As for what makes people greedy…..I think it comes down to power. Once you have a little…….you want more and of course MONEY buys power. Wars are caused by one country wanting power over another. Even in the school ground or kindergarten…..where money has no consequence what so ever, kids will establish a type of pecking order. Power over another person.

As for the devil…..lmao……a man in a red polyester devil suit holding a pitch fork doesnt do it for me either (unless hes buffed and really HORNy hahahahaha)

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

It’s the love of money that’s the root of all evil. Money in itself is merely a neutral thing, neither evil nor good.

I think the concept “money” in the saying refers to the measure of wealth, whether it be of houses, material things, or how many goats, cows or sheep you have.

Cheers
    Elysium-M

DIY Residential Property Settlements in WA – the book coming soon! When I can get my act together…

Profile photo of teabagtedteabagted
    @teabagted

You are correct. Paul in the new testament of the Bible said the love of money is the root of all evil. I found this strange as some of the worst crimes were committed by political movements, e.g. the nazis. Then I found out how much stealing went on during that regime. The nazis stole on a scale possibly never seen before. Grand theft and money making is true of many other people and movements that seem more about ideology than money. The Klu Klux Klan for example was very popular and quite respectable in the States during the 20s. They made a lot of money by selling memberships and cheap hand guns. So it seems when you see evil being done and it doesn’t seem to be about money, you sometimes have to look deeper.
    I’m fairly sure that it was the hippies in the 60s who changed it to just “money is the root of all evil.” As has been said, it is neutral. The hippies were rejecting the values of their parents, many of whom had come from poverty a couple of generations ago and had fallen in love with how rich they could get.

teabagted

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

You dont help the poor by becoming one of them !!

look after yourself and your own first, then you can assist others, small steps can cover large distances.. try giving blood at your local Red cross, some of the really wealthy give away huge sums of money.. look at the Rockefellers..

Do you actually own anything ( sooner or later you ‘move on’ )maybe it’s just in your care for a while [}:)]

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

…wars, jealousy, greed, discontent…sounds like everything that comes under the banner of religion to me…
    …but then, to some, the love of money IS a religion…

…that means that…religion is the root of all evil…

Profile photo of IndifferenceIndifference
    @indifference

I believe Social Conditioning is the root of all evil.

I can’t think of one war or conflict that didn’t have this point underpinning the superficial issues.

Just look at Iraq – sure the Yanks like to control everything like oil, but what was/is of greater importance is regional stability. Each ethnic group in the region has some belief that a portion of the area is their birth right…

Why do 10 yr old children bear arms? It is not to get $$$ for toys/lollies… it is because they have been “programmed” that way. Religion is the fabric that ties & divides these ethnic groups, and “ownership” is a by product of these beliefs.

That’s my 2 cents worth anyway.

…emotion clouds good judgement but is a defining element of character.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I think you got to have money to survive in this world.

I don’t think money will create evil, but evil people that create evil.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to financial freedom]

Profile photo of CheekyOldBatCheekyOldBat
    Participant
    @cheekyoldbat

soooooooooooo … if money is the root of all evil .. and those of us who achieve our desired wealth status incorporate helping those in need with our ‘money’ .. how can that be evil?

Isn’t knowledge, power?
    Is knowledge then the first step to overcoming evil?

Cheers,
    A

” plays well with others
    … but sometimes runs with scissors”

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

It’s

The Love of money is the root of all sorts of evil.

That distinction is fairly big I think. I don’t know of too many people who will ‘stop at nothing’ to get their hands on money, but there are a lot of people that will do the wrong thing in one way or another.

I believe there is a line of thought that says that most criminals have their ‘code of honour’ or whatever. Look at the child molestors etc. who end up in jail. They are never treated very well by the other prisoners…..

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all
    i never expected to be able to use my Degree in Theology on this forum but it cetainly comes in handy soemtimes.

the quote as has been mentioned comes from Paul in this letter to Timothy (1 Tim 6:10) and as Melbear has said a closer translation is of the Greek (originally written) is “The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil”, the passage talks about being content and how people who want to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many senseless desires that plunge people into ruin.
    The message of Jesus is that we should be more concerned with the eternal things like our soul rather than temporary things such as money. Money in itself is only a tool and cannot be good or evil it is a way that it is used that is important.

so ends todays lesson
    regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Rogue,

May I add one extra to the list….

IGNORANCE is the root of all evil.

Because some people don’t understand other people, they can go to war.

Because some people are uneducated, they criticise the more educated….

cheers

Scott

Pelican Investments
    http://www.pelican-invest.com

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I’ll let you know after “The Passion Of The Christ” comes out at the Movies..[^]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

so no-one agrees with me – fair enough im often wrong.

redwing – yep the movie will be interesting. its antesemetic though. people forget that jesus was a jew.

peilican – ignorance – i agree. somethimes i think that the greatest thing about the last 100 years has been the access to information so people can make informed decisions. i might be wrong but it seems to me that areas of the world where there is constant conflict are those where freedom of speach/information is not a genral human right. then again its the manipulation of the media that creates a whole new problem. if there is a choice of the two i prefer open communication ratrher than ignorance then give people the tools to decipher fact from fiction

westan – tks yrs – like most things in the bible all comes down to interpretation.

cheeky old bat and redwing – i agree the problem is what compromises are you willing to make to get ‘there’. sometime its the process of trying to achive wealth thats the evil bit. alan bond can give as much money to charity as he wants but isnt this dirty money. hasnt he hurt enuf people along the way that and amnt he gives to charity will not be enuf.

indifference i reckon you make the same point as pelican..

pinky – power – yep i agree…its an animal instict. the only thing arent we humans meant to be at the top of the food chain and therefore have the ability to make conscience decisions. hence if we realise pwoer is a ‘bad’ thing, we can do something to temper this..

thanks for letting me ramble

dont for one moment think that i think that i know whats going on. im confused….[8]

cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.