All Topics / Finance / Credit cards and investing

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I think so too, se7ven.
    WHat would be the case with a line of credit from the equity of your house? Say if your LOC limit is $200,000 I hope that this is not being counted as a $200K debt![:(]
    What do you think?

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi _se7en_,

im sure your right, but something to do with the 3% that i just cant remember, not exactly sure what the 3% refers to… but there is something with the credit cards of were they do look at 3% of the debt, but i just cant think of what it is…. and what it is for

…. maybe one of the mortgage brokers on here will know what im talking about…. i just cant remember….

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of _se7en__se7en_
    @_se7en_

Unsure about LOC loans, but would assume it would be the same as credit cards.

The 3% is more likely the amount needed to service the total credit limit (not amount owing)

You are better off with an American Express Card as it does not have a credit limit, and therefore it cannot be calculated (3% X infinity = ?????)

If going for a loan get your credit cards limit reduced to the min, this will give you a greater borrowing capacity. After you get the loan get you limit put back to previous limit.

@still-in-school

Thanks _se7en_,

it was driving me insane, trying to work out what the 3% was but now, you made it all clear… [:o)]

Cheers and thanks,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of alpinaalpina
    Participant
    @alpina

credit cards affect borrowing capacity yes. strangely though, charge cards such as amex and diners don’t.

julie

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

It’s my understanding that the banks don’t look at your credit limit as a ‘debt’ as such, but that they look at the total limit available, and calculate the 3% (yes SIS, it’s the min payment or something) as a monthly payment, therefore affecting your servicability.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

My finance provider told me when I got my last loan that the whole limit as a debt- because I might have a 5K limit but only have used 2K now.. but I could go out and spend the other 3K before my loan is finalised. Also be careful of getting multiple cards- it will kill your credit rating.

Someone on here once said to reduce your limit on your card before you get a mortgage loan, and then you can raise it again when you have the loan approved- sound advice, I thought. I intend on reducing my limit as soon as I get back to home… it´s too easy to let the convenience of a credit card get out of hand.

Credit cards are probably considered to be `bad debt´in the financial scheme of things- because they are mostly used for consumer items… but then, a credit card can help in establishing a credit history- so they can be good, when used with caution.

kay henry

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

There really is no such thing as a credit history in australia other than a bad one ie. baycorp only register what credit you have applied for…nothing on how well you went paying it off or what a fantastic borrower you are, they do however keep a register of anything where you have defaulted.

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru
    Originally posted by Nat R:

There really is no such thing as a credit history in australia other than a bad one ie. baycorp only register what credit you have applied for…nothing on how well you went paying it off or what a fantastic borrower you are, they do however keep a register of anything where you have defaulted.

[:D][:D]

Cheers
    [:)]
    PropertyGuRu
    I want to be billionaire! [;)]

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Hi guys,

Like many things in life, if it’s good, nobody notices, and if it’s bad, everyone has a whack at you.

How you establish a “good” credit history is the same. For example, by having a credit card for 5 years, without any defaults recorded on your credit report, gives you a “good” credit history. It shows the bank that you’ve been using your credit for a while and appear to be paying off your liabilities in full.

The same goes for personal and other loans.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s my understanding.

Cheers
    E

DIY Residential Property Settlements in WA – the book coming soon! When I can get my act together…

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

Not quite right…if you did hold your credit card for 5 years without default then the original enquiry would have rolled off your baycorp report and there will be no record of you even having a credit card.

Note: also the baycorp report shows that you made and application with a finance provier but it does not show if you actually took out the finance.

Keep in mind you can have a credit card, run it at max limit and pay the minium amount each month (and pay it late) withoout regisetering a default….is this a good credit record??

Profile photo of Big MikeyBig Mikey
    Participant
    @big-mikey

Mate, if you wanna make $25, go mow your nana’s lawns, at least she’ll give you a glass of milk and an peanut brownie!
    You’ll probably need about a year’s worth of flybuys points just to buy the brownie!
    They are a cynical marketing ploy adopted by businesses who prefer to bribe loyalty from their customers with the occasional lollipop, than by creating a loyal customer base through a commitment to quality and service.
    The only time I’ve heard of a loyalty program working was when this guy opertaed his business (which he’s not supposed to do) on an amex card (about $150,000 a month volume). So he got himself enough points for a trip to the states, but he had to rort the system to do it.
    As you may have guessed … I think loyalty programs are crap. REAL LOYALTY CANNOT BE BOUGHT. Usually you can get a better deal by shopping around so you save on the purchase more than what you miss out on a miserable bonus scheme.
    Pardon Me if I have offended anyone.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Woolworths Mastercard also offers Qantas Frequent flyer points (can’t remember who asked this earlier in the thread, but there’s the answer), and the annual fees are a lot cheaper than the ANZ Qantas Telstra VISA.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

FYI, if you reduce your credit limit to get finance and then you want to increase it again. Understand that there will be a hit on your credit history by the lending organisation for the increase request.

James

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

CBA have just decreased their FF points per dollar ratios. Std = $2 per point; Gold = $1.50 per point; Platinum = $1 per point

@still-in-school
Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.