All Topics / General Property / Is it over ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Profile photo of KratosaurusKratosaurus
    @kratosaurus

[:0]Is it all over ???. Is it time for shares now ???

‘All I ask is the chance to prove that money can’t make me happy’

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

tony its never over till the fat lady sings. are you male or female? and can u sing?

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Fat Tony,
    It’s all started now! [^]

Cheers
    [:)]
    PropertyGuRu
    I want to be billionaire! [;)]

Profile photo of bluecatbluecat
    Participant
    @bluecat

Hi,

i think there are always times when one option is better than the other but it depends what your timeframe is and your budget – various asset classes can provide different methods of obtaining wealth

is it over? no, just time to be more creative

cheers,
    bluecat

Do today what you want to do tomorrow

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Is it Over? Well I dont know. Buy i know its going to be tougher. We have historically low interest rates still, so the world wont cave in.

I feel rents will start to rise as interest rates rise and prices may fall and start to stablise.

But I am consolidating waiting for opportunities in 2-3 years. And learning a bit about commercial properties now.

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

if you find a deal where the numbers stack up and you keep your sleep at night factor after doing all necessary research etc… why wouldn’t you go for it? Just because someone, or the media, says property isn’t a good idea right now? Is the glass half full or half empty? it’s obviously harder now, but far from impossible. Just be careful, learn as much as you can and take the step when you’re ready…

cheers
    r

@yack

And another thing. In my view its never a time for shares.

Why?

You have $10k cash. You buy shares and borrow $5k. Thats about all you can get.

You buy a property for say $150k.

Shares more volatile but go up by 15% and property more stable and goes up 8% historically.

In a years time you have made $2250 (15% of $15,000)from the shares and $12,000 (8% of $150,000)from the house.

You tell me, can you retire on $2k or live better on $12k.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

gee yack i’mgetting worried because i agree with you. But i must say i do love shares also.
    the only thing about what you say is the most recent figure i saw was for the past 25 years and off memory it had propert 12% and shares 11%. if you did ran the same senario again you be even further ahead with property. We have to remember that this is in the past, we need to be more concered with the future.
    I still love shares and see both as great investment vehicles, but at the moment i haven’t got a lot in the stockmarket just a bit in gold stocks.

westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Greetings all

I don’t know much about shares infact I know nothing, but I know some people have lost all their money in one shares transaction, but I don’t know of any one losing all their money in one real estate transaction.

Awaiting the response’s to correct me on this one …….LOL [:D]

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I love shares and property among other things! ;-)
    my damn browser! i cant use the faces, it wont work.

anyway, many shares are down. So not the time to sell anyway (the ones I have). Shares are volatile, but offer quicker wins (shall I say that? I mean buy and sell in the same day wins)- then you have to look for tax if you are a share trader or not, tax implications…

They are more liquid too and they are open to takeovers…ouch!

I use a margin loan facility, use their money pay mortgage type interest rates, but can earn a bit as a result. Can be complicated and scary, but I dont care…lol

excite me!

Elves

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I know people that have lost on properties having to sell for less than they paid, so yeah they lost.

any risk has pitfalls, and if you play this game, you have to be prepared for any loses

the figures I see still tell me shares hold the better return, must be looking at the wrong years! oh darn!

Elves

@westan

hi all

yes elves
    if you put in 10% deposit on a house and then sold it for 10% less than you bought it for you are right ,you’ve lost all your money.[:(]

westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Yes, I think this turn for share now.

Julian [8)]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Why not do both?

Having said that, I prefer property as I have some control over it. At least with a house, I can do improvements that add value, I can’t do this with shares.

Fortune Favours the Bold.

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

Yack said:

You have $10k cash. You buy shares and borrow $5k. Thats about all you can get

With $10K you should be able to borrow about $23K on a 70% margin loan, that gives you $33K of stock.

Bear1964 said:

but I know some people have lost all their money in one shares transaction

This is more to do with poor money management than with the sharemarket itself.

regards,

Rod.

@yack

Rod C said

With $10K you should be able to borrow about $23K on a 70% margin loan, that gives you $33K of stock.

Please explain. I dont understand.

@westan

Yack what Rod C is saying is
    there are products called Margin Loans for shares, you can borrow up to 70% of the value of the stock (eg CBA 70%, so if parcel cost you $30,000 you would nead to provide $9,000 of your money and they lend you $21,000). the interest rates are higher than Mortgages on Properties and they have margin calls so you need to have cash for emergencies, as they will sell your stock on you in the event for the market going down.

And Rod C i don’t think that you can blame investors of showing poor money management with stocks like HIH, Pasminco, Burns Philp,etc etc.[8] These were once considered good solid companies. I know Gerry Harvey told me that he lost Millions on HIH and i would never accuse Gerry of being sloppy with money (by the way Gerry didn’t really tell me i heard him say it on TV, it just sound more impressive the way i said it)[;)]

regards westan

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“and they have margin calls so you need to have cash for emergencies, as they will sell your stock on you in the event for the market going down”

The broker will require “immediate payment” from cash reserves if the sale of stock does not cover the margin call.

Margin loans should be left to very experienced traders.

— Michael

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

Westan,

thanks for explaining what I meant about the margin loan, I was a bit brief (it was 6am after all [:D]) when I wrote that.

Yes, I concede that there are companies which have gone from Good to Extinct very quickly. But in most cases you should be able to get out before you lose it all.

Michael, I agree margin loans (like all forms of leverage) should be handled with care.

regards,

Rod.

Profile photo of dvanedvane
    @dvane

Comsec offers a ‘Protected Portfolio Loan’ which allows you to borrow a whopping 100% of the value of a share parcel. It has other interesting bits like – and I’m quoting here – “you keep all of the capital gains but are not responsible for any losses”.

Sounds too good to be true?
    http://www.comsec.com.au/Baseframeset.asp?b=SiteMessaging&iSeq=445

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.