All Topics / General Property / Commercial property questions

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of hoarelhoarel
    Participant
    @hoarel

Hi All,

I have a couple of commercial property questions I hope someone might be able to help with.

1. What do people consider to be outgoing expenses. The ones that the tenant would pay as part of there lease. EG power, water, rates, insurance.

2. Is there anyway to minimise the cost of GST when buying a commercial property. Any tax breaks/claims that can be made, ways to get around paying GST.

3. What do people think of this commercial deal.
    Price $165,000 + GST. Building can be leased as 2 shop fronts but is currently leased to the 1 tenant @ $320 + GST per week. The owner currently pays the outgoings as the tenant is a friend.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Luke…

Profile photo of _se7en__se7en_
    @_se7en_

Look at buying a business that is being sold with land and building.

You do not pay Gst on the purchase of the business.

The down side is that you needed to keep busines going for 3 years or you will be liable to pay GSt.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

ALARM BELLS – “tenant is a friend”

A commercial property is only worth what income you can get from it. Does the tenant have a long lease?

If the tenanat leaves and you are stuck with no income the property is not worth having.

The bank will value the property and risk according to the lease agreements.

I am presently looking at a commercial property for the first time. I have several residential properties and can use the equity in those to purchase the commercial property. I am paying the bank $550 to value the commercial property. I will get a copy of valuation as I am paying for it. If they think its ok, I may proceed.

The interest rate is determined by the risk according to the bank and they take into account the term of the lease agreement and the state of the tenant business.

Profile photo of hoarelhoarel
    Participant
    @hoarel

Thanks for the replies,

Could anyone recommend a website or 2 that have some general commercial property for sale so that I can get a rough idea of how this property stacks up against others.

_se7en_ what sought of businesses do you general find are sold with the building included.

Thanks

Luke….

Profile photo of showmethemoneyshowmethemoney
    Participant
    @showmethemoney-2

Hoarel

Generally the outgoings are paid by the tenant in a commercial lease.
    As for GST, if the commercial property is purchased as “a going concern” there is no GST payable. A going concern is a property that is tenanted.
    I would have thought the deal you quoted would be a going concern.
    As mentioned previously the quality of the tenant and the duration of the lease are very important.
    Websites try http://www.nsc.com.au, http://www.cbre.com.au, http://www.dtz.com.au, http://www.mcgees.com.au. There are others but can’t recall them.

SMTM

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

The tenant and the length of the lease aren’t anywhere as important as the location.

Anyway, what do you mean by ‘commercial’ ?

Pisces

Profile photo of hoarelhoarel
    Participant
    @hoarel

Hi Pisces

The property was advertised as a commercial premise. The business using it is a textile type company using it as a shop front. What do you think it should be classed as?

Luke…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.