All Topics / Help Needed! / loss of friends

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Jealousy could also be part of the problem….

Fortune Favours the Bold.

Profile photo of beerboybeerboy
    Participant
    @beerboy

birds of a feather flock together.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Hi

I have the same friends that I went to high school with and I am in my late 30’s. But I do find it difficult to tell them that I am a property investor in addition to my job.

They have a vision of having bad tenants and then having two mortgages. They dont understand that by having a second property, one day that will pay of the PPOR mortgage.

I dont know how to broach the subject, so we discuss other things. But I only give them the half truth of how many properties I have. I have even suggested that maybe we get a group of us and buy a holiday house. We all have kids with similar ages. That way they may see the benefits of property ownership.

Anyway, I see where your coming from fitness.

Profile photo of richardhrichardh
    @richardh

Hi,
    this situation you described has occured to both myself and my wife, and close friends. I think that people also change as time moves on and we see another side of life. I have some very successful friends, with similar stories to yourself, and they feel happy to talk openly about wealth and business concepts. However, i also have friends that i will need to choose my words carefully with.

A friend of mine who recently stayed with me at Xmas with his family said the very same thing you had listed. We had some good dscussion on the subject during Xmas and we boith agree that there are three types of people in life:
    1) those that are genuinely happy for you and use your success as motivational.
    2)those that want hand outs (financial)
    3)those that are angry with your success for variuos reasons (these people are likely to ring the tax department and tell stories that arn’t true)

In life i have found those that are genuinely happy for you can be counted on one hand, and thats a good thing i guess.
    To be happy with others you need to be first happy with yourself

RH

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Stolen from another forum but remember…

A friend comes to bail you out in the morning, but

A true friend will be there sitting next to you saying “That was fun wasn’t it!”.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of richardhrichardh
    @richardh

I agree,
    a true friend will also take the wrap so your wife doesn’t bash you.
    [:)]

RH

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

In life as we get older our values do change, and, sometimes that affects the friendships we have.

I see some of my relatives (older than me) who have worked hard all their lives, and really haven’t gotten anywhere. I can see some jealousy when I start to relate to them that I invest in property…. but that’s life….

We all grow and we all change. Some people just dont like change……

Who Moved My Cheese !! Is a good example of this.

Cheers

Scott

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

richardh,

I have some very successful friends too… here’s a couple of examples:

One of them recently was successful in getting Temporary Protection Visa holders (refugees) policy that takes them into University on scholarships…

One of them looks after an old man and his dog, because the old man is sick and keeps having to go to hospital, and the dog has nowhere else to go…

There are many forms of successes. I think generally we love our friends for who they are- not what they have.

Don’t we?

kay henry

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

hi Scott and everyone,
    I only read “Who moved my cheese?” last week.
    A simple story with a simple message.
    I’m trying to be “Hak” but my hubby is a “Hem” [;)]
    Cheers,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Many people talking about I am a property investors here and there.

I just wondering, how many property do you have to buy to count as property investors?

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to financial freedoom]

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hmmm…Good question Chan.
    Definition of a property investor? I guess it is open to interpretation, a little like the millionaire question in another post.

Possibilities:
    1/ Own/paying off PPOR. (Have invested money, paying off principal & equity growing.)

2/ Own one investment property with/without PPOR.

3/ Have money in managed property trusts.

Do they all qualify? What else can you think of?

Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Chan$ – I would say one qualifies you. Although I can say I invest in the Food and Beverage Industry (I eat lunch each day) ;-)

Profile photo of ryanmelryanmel
    @ryanmel

well it’s a forum, so i’ll add my little bit.
    my wife and i are investing and have been for about 3 years now. our good friends, are still our good friends. but in what some have said, you lose friends, in our case it’s not so much losing friends as it is not seeing ppl as often as you used to. some friends we see every 3 months or so… and it’s because we are dedicating all our free time to learning, researching, reading, staring at a computer screen replying to forums [8], budgeting. so when some friends want to go out and spend $ doing something we are impartial to, we decline. after a few “no thanks, next time”‘s you stop getting invited, which unfortunately, is not what was intended.
    this is something we are currently trying to become comfortable with as we are not going to change our minds regarding investing. one is emotion, the other, is investing. just make time to see friends.

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

We can lose good friends when :
    1. We don’t have time to see them as we used to.
    2. We can’t stop talking about Property investing when we see them.
    3. The degree of our arrogant attitude increase with the number of property we acquire.

We will lose over-jealous friends but they are not good friends anyway.

We will have new friends, some good ones with the same interest, some bad ones only interest in our wealth.

The higher we are in the wealth ladder the lonelier we are. I prefer to have 0 property and 101 friends than to have 101 properties and no friends.

Huey

@kay-henry

Ahhh Huey- a guy with his priorities right :o) I bet you have a few IP’s AND 101 friends.

Money isn’t everything.

kay henry

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

kay, Huey is a lovely lady![:)]

I can’t say that I have ‘lost’ friends over my successes (or otherwise[8]) of investing, but over time I do see them less and less because we are doing different things with our lives. It’s spot on with the kids too – most of my friends have kids now, and I don’t, so when I do see them, if at a party or something, you see that their circle of friends includes a lot more people who now have kids too. that’s just life.

I also have met and am now friends with a lot of other people (some from this forum – billfromoz, shaunwalker, Phil, and Andrew) because of our common interest. I’d like to think that we are now friends also, rather than just investors who meet up.

I do catch up with my schoolfriends, but that’s not as often as Uni days, as we all work, and have other constraints on our time.

Cheers
    Mel

@kay-henry

Oops Huey- thought you were a guy, not a chick :o) (Thanks Mel).

Mel- i reckon with friends, sometimes it’s not about them- it’s about us- where we’re at in life, how busy, or how stressed, or whatever. Basically, it can change from month to month.

I just had a little party this weekend for me going away to Austria- invited some really old friends I’d known for decades, some bdsm friends, some work friends, etc. What a mix! But I figure, they’re all old enough to be able to have a conversation and mix with each other.

Friendships can be just as complex as other primary relationships- faily and partners… just depends on the level of depth to them :)

kay henry

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hey Huey,
    I absolutely agree with you, but if i can half half, ie 50 Ip, 50 friends, I would very very happy.

Regards
    Julain [8)]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru
    I absolutely agree with you, but if i can half half, ie 50 Ip, 50 friends, I would very very happy.

I like Julian comment about 50 Ips and 50 friends lol[:D]

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu
    I want to be billionaire! [;)]

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

Hi Julian, It’s not easy but why not! Some smart people can achieve both. I like your motto.

Personally I don’t like gaining wealth in the expense of losing other important things in live. Recently I lost a good friend. He started late so he worked so hard to build up wealth for the family. He did very well. Within a few years he bought a beautiful new house, expensive cars. He paid them off quickly and built up a good investment porfolio. At the same time his relationships with his spouse, teenage children went through hell. Toward the end it was not unusual to see him worked 80, 90 hours a week. I met him a few weeks ago. I could feel that something was not right but he insisted he was in good health and could handle the stress. He asked me for some tips on house renovations because he just bought another investment property. He looked happy and we had a great time together with other friends. He ended his life few days after that. I know he loved and adored his family so much so why did he do that? If I made an effort to met him and talked things over after that night would he change his decision? What could I do better as a friend? I’m still having hundreds of questions in my head and still grieving over it. :-(

Huey

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.