All Topics / General Property / The secret of success – This I must share with you

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

The secret of success – I must share the following with you.

I believe that the secret of success consists of 80% determination, 20% knowledge and/or skill (or knowing where to get or hire these) and 20% hard work.

(O.K., O.K., I know my arithmetic isn’t too good – today)

I went to Bronte today and picked up a nice book in a second hand bookshop.

Its title ?

‘Australian Jews of Today and the part they have played’ by R. Brasch.

There is a most impressive story in there about someone called John Saunders, one of the co-founders of Westfield.

Hungarian born, he came here as a migrant with the arse out of his pants.

The story which I am about to relate (and the reason I bought the book) tells how at one stage he (and his partner Frank Lowy) at one stage got hold of a quarry. Realising the great potential demand for their product they also soon became aware that their particular quarry was too much on the small side.

John approached an expert in the field – a geologist, at Sydney University with an offer to help him find a large source of blue metal deposits.

To make the quest worthwhile he promised him not only a retainer plus all expenses, but also a large bonus should he discover a sufficiently large blue metal deposit in the vicinity of Sydney.

The offer seemed irresistable. To his great amazement, though thanking him for the offer, the geologist refused. He was too honest to go on such a wild goose chase.

To find what John Saunders was seeking in such a large quantity and close to Sydney was, so he said, quite impossible.

Ordinarily this would have closed the matter. However, to John this answer was unacceptable and he brought out a Hungarian-English dictionary which he had brought with him on his trip from Hungary.

He was prepared to accept the geologist’s judgement and consequent refusal, he told him, if he could find the word ‘impossible’ in this dictionary.

Taken by surprise by this odd request the geologist, to humour him, complied.

To his surprise he found that the word ‘impossible’ had been struck out.

John’s dramatic demonstration of his outlook on life must have impressed the scientist.

He then promised to at least discuss the proposition with his wife.

Later that day he informed John that, though he still stood by his earlier convictions, he was prepared to accept the offer and ‘give it a go’.

It took nearly a year to find a large deposit of good quality of volcanic gravel.

The geologist had carried out his contract and the deletion in the dictionary had proved correct.

Then, after some problems obtaining the right kind of equipment to develop the quarry, luck came John’s way, literally.

The government was about to embark upon the construction of an expressway between Sydney and Newcastle and the rest is history.

To become outstandingly succesful (in any field or endeavour) one cannot do without determination.

A good way to motivate oneself would be to read books about leading people in their respective field and read about the obstacles they had to overcome to get where they are now.

(BTW, anyone looking for inspiration could do a lot worse than trying to get hold of either this book or a similar book.

They are around. Seek and you will find.

Pisces

Profile photo of gtstewartgtstewart
    @gtstewart

Pisces, If you want inspiration try ‘Freedom at Midnight’ by Larry Collins and Dominique LaPierre. It describes how one man with a dream and plenty of determination took on the British Empire and won. What’s more his approach was not to take up arms and fight, but the exact opposite. He took down the Empire without lifting a finger in anger.

If one man can have the courage and vision to take on the might of the British Empire for what he truely believed in, then buying investment properties looks positively trivial!

What is interesting in the case of Gandhi is that he approached the problem from a new angle. Rather than trying to beat the British by rallying fellow citizens to arms, he took the route of non-violence. He certainly rallied the citizens, but did so in a new and innovative way. This is what put the Empire on the back foot. They did not know how to react and were compelled to leave India.

Unfortunately, as you know, the story did not have the happiest of endings. However, the fragmentation of India was more to do with politics and greed. The lessons however, are clear:

1. Determination, courage and vision are good allies.
    2. Find new and innovative solutions to problems.

Try the book, it is a great story.

Gordon

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I felt I hit gold today! A garage sale with books! Not just any old books mind, Paul Clitheroes Road to Wealth, Jan Sommers…finance and budget books, I was in my element! All looked new, not read. and A steal…three books for the grand pice of…$10. I spent 20. Given the books had the prices on them, I also knew the prices, some $30 some $55. I felt good!

On the note of inspiration
    what inspires me? Properties, properties properties. Seriously though, when I was studying at Tafe, there was this subject which basically was about culture and stake holders…it was about a Native group, losing their own culture, being drowned in alcohol. Now this might not mean much to people (except it sounds a bit familiar)but this one woman had enough of the hubby and men in town (they were on a reservation)and their drinking abusive ways and how the good drop was affecting them.

She went to AA, started a group in the town, and finally got them off drink and back to their culture. It was called the power of one, and it was inspirational. Nothing like the Power of One by the other writer….Bryce.

Rather like a domino effect

Sometimes I wonder if it is a gift that these people have, either forsight, or sheer determinatin…..
    just my thoughts

Elves

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Gtstewart

malcolmX’s story has similarities to Gandhi’s non-voilent protest.

The Story ( dvd ) of Rubin “hurricane” James was a great movie as was “Antwone Fisher”… overcome adversity, i also saw a ‘blurb’ of a book about ” A boy called IT” supposedly one of the worst cases of child abuse in history, the guy is now on the public speaking circuit and has written 2-3 books..

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

Hi Pisces,

That’s sounds typical of the determination of the Westfield duo. Have you read Frank Lowy’s story (by Jill Margo), it’s a phenomenal story.

regards,

Rod.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.