All Topics / Opinionated! / Neil JENMAN angel or devil?

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of jparriejparrie
    @jparrie

I do agree with you aussierogue, I think Neil is genuine about improving the industry and the bad practices that exist. I guess I am just looking at the whole thing through slightly different eyes – that of someone who actually has to deal with the working practices – and as far as this office is concerned, I think they are badly thought out, ill advised and fundamentaly flawed. A bit of proper business logic and business education would go a long way to improving the current situation.

I also think that the client is also being misrepresented about our skill levels. The Jenman group will tell potenial clients that salesmen receive training in the art of negotiation – really? when was that then? at one of the seminars? C’mon, tell the truth! We don’t get ANY proper training at all and the boss can’t train us because he doesn’t know anything about how to run a business. Jenman is simply a point of difference and it could be a good one if only some of the ludicrous working practices were dropped.

Someone above made a very valid point about not wanting to be “screened/qualified” before being showed the agents listings, mention this to Jenman and the answer is that you are not a genuine buyer! Really! I wonder how many people we alienate with our ways?

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

jp – great comments

you should send these thoughts to jenman and see if he replies.

i must admit to using a jenman agent to sell my mothers house and was fairly unimpressed by the agents and the process. i agree that they appeared to have no special negotiating skills, and infact the process was quite painfull from go to wo.

the worst part was being told at the inital meeting that the house was worth x. but this would not be confirmed until all the agents got a chance to see the house. but the catch is that they wont send out all the agents until you sign on the bottom line.

guess what we signed and 2 days later the rest of the mob decreased the valuation by 30k. to me this was blatant conditioning. the other interesting thing was that i told the competing realestate agents that we were considering using a jenman agent. they said that the jenman agent will quote you abt 10-20 pct abve the other agents to secure the biz. guess what – this happened and guess what – we eventually sold the house for the amount quoted by the other agnets.

having said that – i still believe that there neeeds to be a system in palce to look after the buyer. i agree with jp that it appears the jenman syatem is flawed.

Profile photo of jparriejparrie
    @jparrie

Mate, if Jenman knew my real identity I would be out quicker than you could say “Ethics!” This is the great shame about the Jenman group; if you disagree you are a rogue, a traitor, a backstabber and should be cast aside like the expendable commodity you are.

This job took me 9 months to get. I had to write reports on several books I had to read, listen to hour upon hour of tapes and write reports on them, do a 4 day trial without pay ((how ethical (or legal) is that?)), go to numerous mind numbing seminars and finaly take a 6 hour, yes 6 hour exam. I have LOTS of stories I could tell…(but only if you’re interested)

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Seven,

Agree we all need ethics, but for the right reasons…… are you saying I lack ethics ?? please clarify…..

Were you involved in drafting the Code of Ethics for VF in Australia ??? I don’t recall getting any emails from you on it……………………..

Originally posted by _se7en_:

There needs to be more people like Jenman in the investment industry.

[edited by Brent – see original post]

I’m not anti-Jenman so much….. if you think that, then you did not read my posting properly……

I’m simply saying that you need to clear away the smoke and mirrors to see Jenman for what he is…….

He does SOME good, but most of the good he does, ends up in his bank account………….

Scott

Pelican Investments
    http://www.pelican-invest.com

Profile photo of _se7en__se7en_
    @_se7en_

JP

Please tell more.

My wife was entertaining the idea of working at one of these agency.

Sound quite involved. So please tell us more.

I respect what Jenman is doing for the industry. But sometimes change takes time.

Maybe he needs someone he trust to inform him off some of his rules that might be ahead of its time, and to ease back on some of his ideas.

As a person who spends every free weekend going to open houses (the agents no longer ask for my name and number) I do not like how Jenman agents do not have open inspections.

But the main thing i look for in realestate is the property. A real estate agent to me is just someone to unlock the house and to submit my offers. I would buy from the most incompetent agent if he had what i wanted.

Participant
    @aussierogue

jp – seems like a contradiction. sounds like there is a rigorous process to become a jenman agent. i was under the impression that this was no the case.

im glad that its so tough to become one.

ps – you cld send him thoughts anononomysly

cheers

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

jp- What was your background in RE prior to being in a jenman office. It sounds like you may have been an agent for a while, then the boss married neil (metaphorically speaking!), now you are operating under what you believe to be a worse scenario than before.

Also sounds like your boss has the leadership skills of a suicidal lemming. How much of your current problems would you attribute to NJ’s ideas, and how much to your boss?

BTW, if your name was James (or Jimmy, or jemima)Parrie, I would be considering a more anonymous moniker ASAP!

Profile photo of jparriejparrie
    @jparrie

wrappack, a “suicidal lemming” would be a very good analogy. Don’t want to go too deep into my past life for obvious reasons, but in answer to your question you aren’t a million miles off track. To your questions:

If I look around at all the other agencies in my area they all have something that we don’t – profile. I know a lot of agents and they all say the same thing, that they get a fair number of “Come and value my property, I’m thinking of selling” calls. We get none, ever, because nobody knows about us. Jenman’s answer to this problem is to have us all go out knocking on doors asking “Wanna sell your house?” (Not quite like that but you know what I mean). That, on its own, is about as successful as trying to win lotto.

Also, having spoken to a fair few of the general public on the subject of ethical behaviour in real estate, quite honestly I have found that most people are very skeptical of the Jenman message and really couldn’t care less, because they know that most of the local agents are reasonably ethical too and 9 times out of 10, they will sell their house for a price the client is happy with. “Happy with” could consume a whole book, so I wont go down that path yet.

aussierogue, I agree, it does sound like a contradiction, but don’t confuse real & relevant study with a method of weeding out those who simply can’t be bothered to go through the necessary tedium to secure a job. Only 1 in 100 people get a job (it could be less) and it is a very, very long process.

I entered this with my eyes wide open and a willingness to be educated on the wrongs of the real estate industry. Unfortunately I have witnessed some of the worst mismanagement (from both my boss & Jenman) that I couldn’t possibly have imagined.

Anyway, I wont be here too much longer…

JP

Participant
    @aussierogue

good luck jp – by the way i reckon jenman prob monitors this website so guessing he has read yr comments already.

Profile photo of OldFartOldFart
    @oldfart

Hello,
    Just a personal view of a newbie. The majority of promoters I have run into combine creative genius with verbal diarrhoea, mental masturbation and are fast becoming legends in their own minds.

All we need to do is take the best bits and filter out the BS.

Regards
    Brenton

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Finally !!

Someone who understands what I’m talkin bout…. Thanks Brenton….

Profile photo of brentbrent
    Participant
    @brent

I think this topic has run its course..

*turns key and locks it*

It’s fair enough to be opinionated in the “Opinionated” forums – but nobody likes flame wars or personal attacks on the forums.

Brent

Profile photo of chimpchimp
    Participant
    @chimp

I would compare him to a guy who is selling house alarms.His cry is "buy my alarms or there are criminals out there who will break in and enter".I don't think he cares about consumers though.

Profile photo of Richard DaviesRichard Davies
    @richard-davies

Got to admit it is good to have a property watchdog out there. I guess Neil has to have pretty thick skin as those he exposes would regularly come back at him attacking.

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Why are we commenting on Jenman? I thought Steve McKnight banned this topic?
    I think he may be flawed or he may be right – but it is not helpful to any of us here to be attacking him.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.