All Topics / General Property / today tonight- tenant damage

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

today tonight-
    I was just watching today tonight about a woman who let tenants in, did damage the property extensively…
    They suggested in the story:
    to have insurance/landlord
    to join the property owners group in your state

I thought there was something about “bad” or blacklisted tenants” going back a few years…I guess it would be illegal….privacy?

Elves

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

There is a database that property managers contribute too and use. I dont know the name of it, but thats one of the reasons I always use a property manager.

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

a good way to finance your cosmetic renovation![:D]

Profile photo of Buzz LightyearBuzz Lightyear
    Participant
    @buzz-lightyear

There are databases available at a cost which are designed for property managers/agents. There may also be others, not sure. http://www.rpdata.net.au/home/brochures/tenantinf.html.

James

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

yep thanks

I already posted this to other forums, well about RP DATA
    cheers

Profile photo of ginamarreeginamarree
    @ginamarree

Hi, I think the data base is called ticker, could be wrong but I’m pretty sure.

Ginamarree

Profile photo of rogerramjetrogerramjet
    @rogerramjet

If you are in SA, have a look at http://www.landlords.org.au/ – Landlords Association of South Australia. They have a tennant blacklist, however I’m not sure how useful it is as it’s only maintained by its members. Still, it’s a good service with regular newsletters and guest speakers, plus a free area on the website to advertise your property when you’re after a new tennant.

I imagine there would be similar services in other states.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I love how after a year of those ‘property is the duck’s nuts!!!’ stories, they’re now running a slew of ‘property is a nightmare!!!’ stories.

(Does anyone else feel they are being ‘conditioned’ by the media, or is it just me?)

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I often meet people who are scared out of property investing by these tenant from hell stories. I try to tell them that these are the exception but deep down they know it will happen to them!

I guess it keeps people out of the game who probably haven’t the stomach for it!

cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Today Tonight and ACA ALWAYS play these stories. Every 2-3 months you will see them. I reckon its part of their TV program formula. I always have a good laugh. Usually those caught with a bad tenant have done the rental themselves or they have a VERY bad rental manager.

I remember a few months ago there was this couple who trashed a house. They did not even live there except for their dogs. There was dog crap everywhere. They were probably growing stuff there. ACA tracked them down to a nice house they were renting. If they had a regular inspection from an property manager then there would be no problem. Should be a good story in a few months.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Mini, no I don’t feel conditioned by the media.

Basically, with a lot of the stories they do on the current affairs programs, people write or ring in to tell them a story. It’s not like the program just runs all over australia snooping into people’s homes to find something controversial going on.

So if i have a RE story- ripped off by a guru, tenant gone feral, or a new secret RE hideaway… I can just contact the program, and if they think it is interesting enough, they’ll put it on air.

I don’t think they have some secret agenda to condition us and make us into some ACA cult members.

Richomod might disagree though [8)]

kay henry

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Yes we have agenda, but, following the lead of SIS, I can’t tell you what it is.

I had a long debate with Mini and Pisces once before re the media, and I’m not going to get into it again.

cheers
    r

Participant
    @minimogul

Richmond, I’m sorry, that was cheeky/naughty of me.

Yes, I’ll admit September 11 was the first time I realised the news was biased….

But I agree that it could be just mere *coincidence* that ACA and TT are running more ‘property: watch out’ stories at the moment than ‘yay! property” stories.

Then again, it *could* be a dark conspiracy to condition the public to leave the inflated property sector of their own accord…

*tongue firmly in cheek*

cheers-
    Mini

Participant
    @richmond

I wanna know when the next instalment of the MAP is gonna be on TT…

Cheers
    r

ps and I’d be happy for the public to leave the inflated property sector… go on, go away… shoo now…

Participant
    @minimogul

“I wanna know when the next instalment of the MAP is gonna be on TT…”

so do i, desperately….

“ps and I’d be happy for the public to leave the inflated property sector… go on, go away… shoo now…”

This is so bizarre because although we’re kind of joshing around, you *are* coincidentally a media-person (like, an Important one) who happens to coincidentally have the same ‘attitude’ that I may have accused the media of having recently. (which is, ‘property: thumbs down’)

I no longer know which is joking and which isn’t.
    *confused, but smiling*

cheers-
    mini

Profile photo of cpmj28672cpmj28672
    Participant
    @cpmj28672

Isn’t it the same “tenants from hell” every time they run these stories? – just a few months later with a beard or long hair to change appearance on screen.

The premium set for landlord protection insurance indicates that poor tenants are the exception not the rule.

Participant
    @richmond

actually mini, I’m very much thumbs up about property… and I’m not important at all… just a worker.

I’d like people to lose interest in property, cos then prices should ease (it won’t be so inflated), and there might be some better buys around.

cheers
    r

Participant
    @minimogul

“actually mini, I’m very much thumbs up about property…”

yeh! I thought so!! That means I *was* joking then, phew!

>I’d like people to lose interest in property, cos >then prices should ease (it won’t be so inflated), >and there might be some better buys around.

I totally agree, but don’t you think that what ‘people’ think is influenced by what seems to be going on in the media? (when I say ‘media’, I mean whoever’s yelling loudest at the time out of print, radio, and TV and the net. )

And that it’s changed lately? That 2003 was ‘become a millionaire with real estate’, ‘buy up big CF+ve’, ‘the reno kings’, ‘the reno queens’, ’12 year olds buying houses’ (part of the ‘solo mum with a multimillion dollar portfolio’ story if I remember)
    , where to buy (i,e, ‘Tasmania!!!’, ‘Rockhampton!!!’, i remember TV articles about – ) and now, 2004, it seems to be all the ‘bad’ stuff – ‘Wraps are unsavoury’, ‘tenants are nightmares’, ‘so and so lost their house because evil interest rates rose’,”Today Tonight are doing a piece on the ‘severe’ property crash headed our way” (quote from this site) etc.

Perhaps my memory is selective or i don’t watch enough TV or whatever, but this is my impression. And this ‘impression’ getting through to the average investor is what’s going to cause your hoped-for mass disinterest in property.

how do you like my reasoning?
    And, as far as ‘important’ goes, I still think you are, so maybe I’m in denial…

cheers-
    mini

PS I just found a post of yours in the heads up section where you basically said the same thing, anyway

Profile photo of kozzaboi77kozzaboi77
    @kozzaboi77

UPDATE – December 24, 2003 –

Regulations to be introduced in NSW in May next year will make it an offence for agents to blacklist tenants for matters other than serious breaches of their tenancy agreements.

Tenants will have to be informed BEFORE they are listed.

Let’s hope similar rules apply in other states.

Profile photo of BrocksbyBrocksby
    Participant
    @brocksby

I totally agree, but don’t you think that what ‘people’ think is influenced by what seems to be going on in the media? (when I say ‘media’, I mean whoever’s yelling loudest at the time out of print, radio, and TV and the net. )

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.