All Topics / Heads Up! / VIRUS ALERT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Folks

In the last 24 hours I have been sent 3 emails that have the MyDoom virus, this virus has a HIGH rating and is very infectious.

It gets into your emails and spoofs itself to send messages using or guessing the names of people in your email system.

For more info on this go to Mcafee.com or any other virus protection service provider for more info.

Make sure you have got up to date software that can detect it before it is opened.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Ges only 2 leigh , u r doing well, im getting about 3 every hour. one even had it was from the propertyinvesting.com, so be very careful b4 opening anything.

Regards Bear

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I got about 5 for the last 2 days from unknown sender.

You got to be careful.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of Hux001Hux001
    @hux001

Hi Guys,

You’re talking about the Novarg/Mydoom virus. There’s usually a free fix for most viruses shortly after they are released on many of the Anti-Virus sites.

If you go to http://www.symantec.com.au, go to downloads and follow through there you will be able to put a floppy disk in your A drive to download and run the fix, alternatively just run it from the site.

Most Anti-virus companies now have the update in their system now.

Profile photo of SamwiseSamwise
    @samwise

I’ve had two in the last two days and also receiving message re failed EMails from postmaster to Richmastery.com. (Which I never sent)
    Someone is using my EMail address which they might have got from this forum.

Tegan

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Apparently this virus has a self destruct date of 12 Feb, but some parts of it do not. These non destructing parts are the ones that take note of your keystrokes when logging into various places.

It sends mail to everybody in your address book, as many as every 30 seconds.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

For more information on this virus and a free utility to clean it visit: http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=38102

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@melbear

Guys, there is a second variant of this virus that has been discovered. It’s not picked up by the virus scanners at the moment.

Apparently it pops up as a Windows error, and once you say OK, it then installs the trojan.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Just as I was reading Mel’s post, a windows box popped up asking if I want “outlook to stop junk emails”
    What a coincidence!
    I”ve never has this asked before, and after mel’s post I don’t know what to answer![}:)]
    Any suggestions?
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Diclem

Select yes and if it loads a virus, then call Mel and she can post to the rest of us that it was a virus … what do you reckon?

[:D][:I][}:)][:X]

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Participant
    @bear1964

I recieved this from bigpond today hopefully it helps every one reconise the virus’s. Personally I just wouldnt open any attatchment at present unless certain where it comes from. Opening the email is safe i believe, but not opening the attatchment. Please correct me if im wrong.

There are a number of potent viruses currently circulating the internet and we’d like to advise you about how to protect yourself in advance or remove the virus if you have already been infected.

The MyDoom or Norvarg virus may appear in emails headed “Hi”, “Hello”, “Error”, “Status”, “Server Report”, “Mail Transaction Failed”, “Failed Delivery System” or infect via share sites like music download site Kazaa.

A newer variant of this virus – MyDoom-B – is also circulating. It arrives as an e-mail attachment that sends itself out to other addresses if opened, and may allow unauthorised access to computers.

After this it just goes on to try to sell bigpond products for added security.

Regards Bear

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

hi Leigh,
    I see you’re back to your cheeky self![:(!]
    Turned out I didn’t have to answer, my computer decided to reboot itself. Can’t see any evidence of a virus.
    Sue [:D]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@melbear

Bear, the other good point that Bigpond had was this:

If you think that your computer may be infected with Mydoom, and are not sure how to check your system, you can find more information about the virus and the services you can use to scan your system and remove the virus at:
    http://www.security.iia.net.au/australian_resources/security_issues/iia_alerts.html

Or you may download the Stinger tool http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger to scan your system and remove the virus if present. [Note that receiving an email alert stating that the virus came from your email address is not an indication that you are infected as the virus often forges the “from” address]

Narrowband customers are likely to find that these services may take many hours to scan their systems, and will obtain a quicker solution by purchasing an anti-virus scanner from a retail store.

Cheers
    Mel

Participant
    @bear1964

ooops ur right Mel, sorry guys

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

just recieved about 4 emails like this in the last few days, had them quartined and open, but they seem to be coming from a debt relief company.

Maybe… they have got hold of peoples emails as well. [?]

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.