All Topics / Finance / CBD Purchase Quandry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of MartMart
    @mart

My wife and I have been looking at CBD properties in Melbourne. We have 5% deposit, but have been told that we will be unable to get a loan due to the mortgage insurance restrictions when buying in this location (ie. CBD, Docklands, Southgate). We’re planning to occupy the residence, and are first home buyers. The advice we have recieved is that unless we can find the additional funds for a larger deposit in order to skip the mortgage insurance, we will be unable to get the loan. Any thoughts? Any way around this?

Cheers
    Mart

Profile photo of Buzz LightyearBuzz Lightyear
    Participant
    @buzz-lightyear

Mart,
    Mortgage insurers not even offering LMI on these properties at the moment (especially Docklands). Are you both entrenched in the idea of an apartment? I am assuming the location is due to proximity to work? I am not sure if there is anything you could really do in this location with 5%. West Melbourne or North melbourne (which are close by) which may be a more viable option. (West Melbourne is under-developed relative to the rest of city and inner suburbs).

James

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Mart, save like mad, and wait for the investors who can’t get tenants to either sell up, or be willing to rent for a ridiculously low price just to have someone pay for at least some of the mortgage for them.

If you can get a good rent deal, you could possibly then look at investing elsewhere, and building some equity that way so that you could buy a place. Or rent from one of the abovementioned owners, and see if they would be willing to do a lease option with you. They might be desperate to sell and go for it.

Good luck

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes that sounds correct. Depending on the postcode, you will probably need at least 20% deposit for an inner city place.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MartMart
    @mart

Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated. I guess our best option will be to save more, and look to negotiate a cheap lease agreement in the mean time.

cheers
    Mart

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.