All Topics / General Property / Property Investment Seminar’s

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Under WrapsUnder Wraps
    @under-wraps

I am always sceptical about seminar’s that have the quick fix. Does any body know or been to a seminar in relation to Ed Burton (Vital Link Financial Education), if so what was the outcome and feedback.

Regards

David
    [:)]

David Grant

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Dear David Grant…

The only investment seminar I would attend is a free one, or a really cheap one- like $30, if I had nothing else to do. My job is all about seminars, conferences, etc, and I’d rather pAy my money to see Fleetwood Mac or something useful :o)

A good seminar topic for someone to run would be “How to survive the Real Estate Crash!” hehe. It would attract all the OTP Henry Kaye clients… and some of us would go just for fun to see what it said. I might run it meself- anyone wanna come? I might hold it in that church i put the link up for elsewhere and hand around a plate for donations :) Not that people who invested over their heads would have much to donate, but if i give them a steely enough look, and they think I am guru-ish enough, they’ll cough up :)

kay henry

Profile photo of brucegrahambrucegraham
    Participant
    @brucegraham

G’day Kay Henry,
    Australia’s greatest entertainer!
    To see this man in action is like the second coming.
    I’ve been twice to see him in all his glory. Prancing
    up and down the stage.Brilliant!!
    Henry Kay will live with-in me till the day I die.
    You just have to keep your hands in your pockets.And of cause don’t believe a word he says.
    My tickets were for free.

bbruham.[8]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi Under Wraps

Do a search for Ed Burton. Somebody recently did a fairly thorough evaluation of one of his seminars.

As for Henry Kaye, I’ve heard him a few times, and yes, some of them I paid for. What I got out of it education wise has stood me in good stead for my real estate investing. As for any further ‘sales’, I stayed away from that – lucky for me. But the education was good.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Well, eh, yes, I too went to a talk.

Admittedly I didn’t pay for it either (no, I didn’t slip underneath the wall of the tent).

A circus it was though judging by the throng of people attending. Most of them very busily taking notes.

That was what got my attention more than anything else.

It means (at least at that time) there was a mass of people hungry for a way to get into riches via real estate.

A well oiled publicity campaign if anything. One has to nevertheless feel sorry for those who got sucked in.

Pisces

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

If you want to go to a free seminar on property investing – go to a free investors club evening session.

I agree with their philosophy about acquiring property and keeping for as long as possible.

I would not buy from them. (NEVER BUY FROM A SEMINAR) But use their strategies and DO IT yourself. I have been to a few of their sessions and motivated myself to do it myself.

But after reading a few books on the subject its a good way to reinforce what you have learnt.

Profile photo of callumcallum
    Participant
    @callum
    Originally posted by yack:

If you want to go to a free seminar on property investing – go to a free investors club evening session.

I agree with their philosophy about acquiring property and keeping for as long as possible.

I would not buy from them. (NEVER BUY FROM A SEMINAR) But use their strategies and DO IT yourself. I have been to a few of their sessions and motivated myself to do it myself.

But after reading a few books on the subject its a good way to reinforce what you have learnt.

I agree with Yack.

We have had very positive experiences with The Investors Club and they saved us from making some huge mistakes in our goal to achieve wealth and a comfortable retirement through property. The main ones were structuring our loans correctly, minimising Land Tax, and QS reports and depreciation. Also fixed term leases have given us more control as a landlord.

We attended several monthly meetings (which are FREE) and a couple of seminars (which cost about $25 per head) and we learnt so much from just ordinary Mum and Dad investors like ourselves and like some of us on this forum.

We have purchased two properties through The Investors Club and were very impressed with the level of help and service they gave us. Both properties we checked out ourselves beforehand and with due dilligence and both properties have made huge capital gains in just a couple of years, are cash flow positive (but not by the 11 second rule) and have been tenanted from day one. We have had not one single problem (touch wood!).

We have “dragged” our adult children to meetings, as well as our neighbours and friends as we feel the meetings are honest, well run, not high sales pressure at all (in fact no properties are sold at the meetings), interesting, informative, educatational and very motivating and encouraging. Some meetings are better than others dependng on who’s running them and the monthly speakers so we go to different ones in different areas to hear the same story told in different ways.

I can highly recommend you check them out yourselves. Will only cost you your time.

Callum [:o)]

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Callum
    Would you buy again through them or do it yourself? Are you from Qld or another state? I dont like new townhouses and I reckon the depreciation allowances are built into the price of the property anyway. I also dont like buying in Qld when I am in Melb. They still get commission so its still in their vested interests to sell me a property. Everything they say they do for you, you can do yourself.

But going to the meetings gives me the information I need. As for making gains in the last 3 yrs. You could have closed your eyes and picked a spot anywhere in Australia and made a capital gain in the last 3 years.

@kay-henry

No kidding yack. Even the two-tier marketed places of the 90’s have now made a profit from their original ripoff prices.

If we have a crystal ball, it would be interesting to see 2 years ahead. Would people be saying “I bought in 2004 and have made a 60% capital gain”, or will it be flat?

Any seminars can boast success of “giving” investors great CG’s. But it was the *market* that brought the CG- not the seminars.

kay henry

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

I agree with Kay, any seminar that is free or cheap is worth a look. Other than that, there are plenty of good resources around on the net, in books and through companies that can educate you on PI without costing an arm and a leg. If you are in QLD, try Financial Intelligence Corporation for their ideas. They give you heaps of ideas without any obligation and if you do join, the fee is small ($400) to start with. BTW, I dont have any interest in them but found their ideas quite good. They dont only restructure your finances but also offer many property related service and networking.

Profile photo of callumcallum
    Participant
    @callum
    Originally posted by yack:

Callum
    Would you buy again through them or do it yourself? Are you from Qld or another state? I dont like new townhouses and I reckon the depreciation allowances are built into the price of the property anyway. I also dont like buying in Qld when I am in Melb. They still get commission so its still in their vested interests to sell me a property. Everything they say they do for you, you can do yourself.

But going to the meetings gives me the information I need. As for making gains in the last 3 yrs. You could have closed your eyes and picked a spot anywhere in Australia and made a capital gain in the last 3 years.

Hi Yack!

Yes I would most definitely buy through them again going on my last two positive experiences. However, I haven’t found anything they have to offer at the moment that interests me. Like you, I’m not too keen on new or any type of townhouses or even units as there’s not enough land content for my liking and I’m not at all keen on Body Corporate fees and sinking funds. I’ll keep my eyes and ears open though and when there is something I think is a good thing I’ll check it out and look into buying with their help.

We’re in NSW and chose to buy interstate because we have been caught in the Land Tax “trap” with the huge capital growth in recent years. We have five properties in Sydney in joint names but if we had have been members of The Investors Club from the beginning of our property investment we would have known to put some properties in one name only and the others in one name only thus avoiding the huge annual Land Tax bill we now receive because our properties are in joint names and the Land Tax eligibility and allowance can’t be split separately for each of us as it would if the properties were in separate names. (It can in Queensland though, as the Investors Club taught me.)

So to have the assistance of The Investors Club to help in our search and purchase, and management of our properties interstate has been invaluable.

Again, like you, going to their meetings and seminars gives me the information I need to proceed in accumulating a property portfolio, and the encouragement and networking is a real bonus. Have met some great people at the meetings from all walks of life, many of whom are inspiring.

I also agree about “closing my eyes and picking anywhere in Australia these last few years” for good capital growth but the Investors Club gave me the tools and the information I needed to structure our portfolio to our best advantage for many years to come. Some of their ideas seemed quite revolutionary at first and had us thinking quite differently especially regarding our retirement plan.

We were just plodding along with no real “plan” but now we do have a “plan” and have a much clearer idea of how, what and when we can achieve our goals, just how to go about it, and who we can turn to for reliable, accurate help.

Yes, they do make money out of selling to the public but the big difference is they work for the VENDOR, not the purchaser as regular real estate agents do (or are supposed to do!). They are not a charitable organisation so they are entitled to make money just like the rest of us and the commission they make is quite transparent and reasonable.

With the knowledge they have given me, I would still buy elsewhere from someone else if I found the right property as I know I could do it myself. However it would be much more complicated buying interstate without their help because of all the different real estate laws from state to state.

I’m addicted to this forum and I’m continuing to learn more and more about this property investing “game”. I also devour any book I can get my hands on on the subject in order to increase my knowledge and hopefully avoid too many mistakes down the track.

I’ve enjoyed your posts Yack. Keep them coming!

Bye now,

Callum [:o)]

@melbear
    Originally posted by kay henry:
    Even the two-tier marketed places of the 90’s have now made a profit from their original ripoff prices.

Yes, and isn’t it great.[:o)] The place I bought in 1994, is now finally worth a little more than what we paid for it![:)] Although doing my tax return for the last year – we ‘still’ lost money.[:(!]

Cheers
    Mel

@kay-henry

awww, don’t be [:(!] Mel. Remember how much tax you got back during the time of that negative gearing? :o) Funnily, by the time I started making money on my property, I had to pay a tax bill- first time in the last 9 years I’ve had to do that. That was a bit [:(] too.

kay henry

@melbear

[:)] True. In the last 9 years I haven’t had a refund of less than $3000K. Some of which of course is from depreciation. so it’s not too bad[:o)]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of ScullyScully
    @scully

Hi David,

Sorry, getting back to your original question. I attended an Ed Burton seminar (free) a couple of years ago. To be honest, I wasn’t that impressed. Nice guy, but didn’t seem very professional. Doesn’t tell you anything you can’t find in books anyway.

I certainly wouldn’t spend any money to see him.

Cheers,
    Karen[:D]

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

Actually there is nothing wrong with Negative Gearing – as a strategy to get the tax deduction back from your employment income. As long as you dont buy too many (around 2 -5).

People tend to generalize too much and jump straight into the conclusion that all Neg Gear properties are not a good investment.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.