All Topics / General Property / If you bought this…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Click to view property

What would you do with it? How much would a reno cost? And what do you think you could rent it for?

kay henry

Profile photo of BenJonesBenJones
    Participant
    @benjones

Start my own religion?

Or, turn it into a 2 bdrm cottage; combine the toilets into one bthrm, simple kitchen, bag the brickwork and stick in an easy care garden, put up a fence and clothesline, generally make it a nice place. Maybe a fireplace. The floors are already done.

Profile photo of CheekyOldBatCheekyOldBat
    Participant
    @cheekyoldbat

Friends of mine have an old church which they’ve decked out with a mezzanine floor for the bedrooms to take the advantage of the high ceilings and it looks fabulous. Your imagination is your only limitation.[:D]

As for costs … wouldn’t have a clue. Can you ask a builder for a guestimate before you make a decision?

Cheers,
    A

” plays well with others
    … but sometimes runs with scissors”

Profile photo of young.learneryoung.learner
    @young.learner

hi
    if i were to buy this property, i would renovate the place a bit and make it look more like a community hall rather than a church!
    I would then probably try to put it up for rent as a commercial property for small businesses. This is depending on the industries in that town, the population the locality of the church and many other factors.
    You could also just try and rent it out ona daily basis for local functions. There’s more mone in that, but more risk-that will anyone usi it or not?

Anyway,
    that’s what i’d do!
    Karan

Please reply to [email protected]

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Young.Learner,

you got some great ideas there,

alrightie here is what i would do. I would refurbish the place and start up my own cult of property investors… hehe [:D]

or just donate it back to the community, and let them use it as a community hall.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

If I bought that then I will resale it instantly coz I think I make a mistake. I don’t have time to renos.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Amazing enough I am looking at buying a church myself, that has already been set up to live in. to put up what’s there would cost alot more then to buy. However the modification cost a fortune. The people that done up the one im talking about, and it was done very well, with as cheeky old bat says with mezzanine floors for bedroom etc. Looks great but no one wants to pay for it. It’s an acquired taste so limits ones market of whom to sell to. The one im talking about is currently rented out for $280 pw, which is hi rent for the area. I actually love it! Seriously thinking about the move to live there. But I would only want to live there for 2 years , and to be honest I not sure I will get my money back.

I hope this helps

Regards Bear

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

Hi Kay,
    just wondering if this is something you would seriously consider or are you just bouncing ideas around? I could not envisage buying a church on the other side of the country (you are in the east right?) that needed a reno and was in a small country town. How I would manage the reno would be my biggest concern. I would like to buy somehting in another state so as to keep my land tax bill down, but came to the conclusion that the safest bet would be new stock.

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Thanks for all your replies :o) Some great ideas there. I can’t really afford it anyhoo (in terms of what I’m looking for in a portfolio) – but surely churches are pretty fashionable real estate :o)

If I had it, i would definitely make use of its current features… it looks like the pastor has just up and abandoned it and left the pews there.

The stained glass windows are probably fabulous- a definite keeper. And who doesn’t want Jesus and Mary looking down on one whilst one is sleeping :o)

I would keep it as “open plan” as I could- very much warehouse style. I’d also try to somehow make use of the pews somehow- long dining room table with pews- very cultish for that big extended family :))

The building is not as “churchy” as some older buildings- it’s more 7th Day Adventist protestant, so it doesn’t have the “cottage” feel (or appearance) of the older churches.

Anyway, I think it’s a cute little place. Anyone have any other ideas of how one could make use of its current features? After all, “unique” and original features should be enhanced, I think- not knocked down or ignored.

and if I was selling it, my first line would be “Live with Jesus”. I think it would work :)

kay henry

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Kay,

Actually a few months back, i remember there were like 2 – 3 churches for sale in Tasmania, dont know why? But just curious what can you really do with a churh, i mean the only real thing i can see you do with it, is refurbish the inside of the church and use it as a funeral palor? Though still, that could be a good idea.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

@kay-henry

sis, old churches are some of the funkiest RE around! You just can’t get stained glass windows like that anymore- they are rare and unique- new stained glass is completely different. Funeral parlour indeed! An old church isn’t depressing- it’s quite special, i think.

One of the uses of an old church could be an art gallery- the use of light through the windows would make for the artwork pieces to come to life. As CheekyOldBat said, “your imagination is your only limitation”.

Old churches are totally fun to think about :)

kay henry

Profile photo of markpatricmarkpatric
    @markpatric

I`ve found similar type properties which are going for a steal but what to do with them?, I mean if they just sit there they will send you broke.
    I found a house and industrial shed which could rent for $300 a week and I could still probably get it for $65,000, but I`m not too sure it would rent, if I had spare cash I would take the chance.
    It`s easy to come up with ideas etc but at the end of the day you have to dive in or forget it.
    There`s a lot of things I could do myself to make this church look great but would it sell, or even rent?, it can be a big problem when you don`t know the area your buying in.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Looks like a reasonably new building… I’d try and find the reason for selling and be checking what’s happening the area before going too much further.

Check the yellow pages for a builder in the area… s/he is probably the person who built it!

I doubt that you could build it for that price, so someone is taking a hit somewhere.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

P.S. Click here to see the sort of properties that I buy… Click here

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I wouldn’t buy that one. But then again, it would have to be cheaper than builder a one bedder? or even a brick workshop, or garage.

Doesn’t appeal to me.

Cheers

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Possible uses ?

Brothel, church, council library, scout’s hall, club house, doctor’s/dental surgery, etc. etc. etc.

(We have a dwelling rented to a bridgeclub paying normal rent and they are using the premises about three afternoons a week. Average age of players 65-70 years of age.)

It all depends on council’s townplanning department’s
    thinking as far as rezoning is concerned.

What does council say about the possible change in zoning ? They are only a phonecall away Kay.

Pisces

Profile photo of apakukiapakuki
    Participant
    @apakuki

Hey! What about a restaurant? small stage for string band, or like …. probably too far out of the way and may not generate enough business.

The difference between theory and practise is, in theory there is no difference between theory and practise

Profile photo of royboyroyboy
    @royboy

Kay, you could do whatever you want with something like this. The reason that it’s for sale ( my educated guess) is that there’s no one left in this town to pray. Most of Collie is for sale (good bargains if your looking for a ghost town).[;)]

Royboy

@kay-henry

:o)

So what kind of zoning do churches have? I didn’t even think about zoning.

Yeah, no kidding royboy- Collie is indeed a town up for sale :)

kay henry

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Apakuki said : ‘Hey! What about a restaurant? small stage for string band, or like …. probably too far out of the way and may not generate enough business.’

What about just a simple tea or coffeeshop ?

What about a place for the local band to practice ?

There are a multitude of uses. It all depends on the surrounding area. Talk to the council then start coming up with ideas.

How big is the town by the way, Kay ?

Pisces

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Royboy said : ‘ Most of Collie is for sale (good bargains if your looking for a ghost town).’

A cult like say a Rashnich type group (the people dressed in either orange or red) may be interested in setting up in town.

Get plenty of options and start selling Kay. Go for your life.

If only you had gone on the inspection tour with Vic Ollis you would have picked up some important clues as to how to go about promoting such properties.

Hey, that’s a good idea. Get options and sell them to Vic Ollis.

Oh, I forgot, you don’t want to deal with people like him [:D] [;)] Too bad.

No, no, no, I am not at all saying that he (or they) are too bad. I merely wanted to say that it is too bad for you missing out on such an opportunity of making a sale to Vic because of your high ethical standards.
    [;)]

Pisces [:X]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.