All Topics / General Property / What’s The Best Strategy?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of young.learneryoung.learner
    @young.learner

Hi Guys,

I have been reading the info available on the forums and i’m confused! Like, i have read posotive things about all types of strategies, but there isn’t one main strategy that sticks out! I would just like to know from someone, what is the best strategy that will make the most money and how!
    Please provide a good explination of you strategty.

Thankyou Very Much
    Karan

Please reply to [email protected]

Profile photo of ShusharShushar
    @shushar

This is difficult to respond to because a good strategy should be tailored to the individual and their goals and situation.

[:)]

Profile photo of young.learneryoung.learner
    @young.learner

true, but i would just like to know what stratey works for what people?
    So if you think that if you have a good strategy i would really like to know if it’s not too much problem for you.

Thanks
    Karan

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Karan, there would be too much work involved in responding the way you are asking.

I suggest we start off with your particular circumstances so we can fit the answer to your particular circumstances.

1. How much time can you spend on real estate on a regular basis ?

2. Do you need to almost immediately generate an income from any real estate deals you are going to be involved in ?

3. Have you got money available to lay out ?

4. If you are employed how much do you think a bank would comfortably be prepared to lend you ?

5. How much risk (i.e. loss of money) are you prepared to accept if you were to buy a property (via say an option) ?

6. From what you’ve read sofar, what type of property deal are you leaning towards or thinking of as suitable for YOU ?

7. What age group do you fall under ? (In other words
    how much time do you have left to let properties increase in value via capital gain ?

8. Do you own any properties already ? If so what kind ?

Pisces

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

No matter what “strategy” people recommend, or how much money/time you have to invest/risk, in order to become successful you have to be passionate about real estate and have a desire to acquire knowledge – whether through books, school, or a mentor. I personally do not recommend seminars.

Once you have gained an understanding of this profession, and the diverse investment strategies it offers, then you must decide which is the most profitable and risk adverse strategy to implement.

“what is the best strategy that will make the most money and how!”

If your focus from day one is making the “most money”, you’re setting yourself up for failure.

— Michael

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Just do it!

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>”what is the best strategy that will make the most money and how!”<<

I would like to add to the above the words ‘and which strategy would suit your particular circumstances’

Diverging ever so slightly, many people have bought the book titled ‘The One Minute Millionaire’, written jointly (?) by Mark Victor Hansen & Robert G. Allen.

I am just wondering how everyone does think about what is being said in the part that deals with the fifth AHA : ‘Givers get’. ?

That book by the way is in my opinion an excellent book to direct one and well worth buying.
    It is cheap, as well.

BTW MIchael, ( I personally do not recommend seminars)
    I am inclined to agree with you on that if it wasn’t for the fact that some (many ?) people can get a benefit out of a seminar because it may enthuse them to get started.

On another site I got a reprimand email from a zealous subscriber suggesting that I should attend a seminar.

I think they are between $ 10 K and $ 25 K or so + plus airtravel to the US. The amazing thing (to me) is the fact that people who are well on their way (having accumulated many properties already) ARE spending their money on these expensive seminars.

So it looks as if they are getting some stimulating hype out of the seminars for them too to spend that kind of money. (Though some admittedly get in free).

The people in charge of that website are so anxious to protect their bosses territory that they blank out any reference made in posts mentioning the competition.

BTW I think Rick Otten’s seminars also appear way overpriced.

Pisces

@michael-r

Pisces – I agree with your comments re: seminars, although I will admit I have never attended one – I have however spoken with many who have, and know a couple of the [so-called] “gurus”.

Seminars seem to provide encouragement and direction, and therefore benefit those seeking these attributes.

However, acquiring a substantiated understanding of real estate investment takes time, and in my opinion, a solid education – whether derived through studies, the “school of hard knocks”, or an experienced mentor.

— Michael

Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

I think your best strategy is to firstly work out what you want. Get some financial and lifestyle goals. Work out what’s important.

Once you have that in place then you have something to aim for. What happens then is you begin a search of what strategies will enable you to achieve what it is you want. You might be thinking, “just give me the strategies”.
    But seriously if you get clear on what you want you will begin to know what strategy is suitable when you see it as you continue your education. The reason people can’t give you them is because they are not you and they don’t know what you want.

I think if you asked, what’s a good strategy for capital gain, or to increase cash flow. You would probably get a good response.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear but I hope that helps,

Cheers

@young.learner

ok guys, thanks for your replies!
    I realize that the question that i asked was really hard, and actually the whole poing of this site!
    So i just wanted to ask, what can a 15 year old do to learn more about real estate?
    I have no money and no properties, but i am saving as much as i can ($1400)and investing it in ING at 5%p.a. What do you think about this?

Thanks Karan

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

I agree with Chan …….NIKE

Regards Bear

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

MichaelR,

You said you never attend the seminar may be you should try it at least one so you know exactly what’s like. Just by talking to those who attend does not give you much details.

Just a thought, no offence.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

@michael-r

Chan$,

There are a couple of reasons I do not attend seminars, primarily the fact that I do not deal in SFH’s.

I specialize in international equity-based investment funds and multi-use development – which has transpired over a number of years.

As noted, I do not disagree with seminars in their entirety, but I do stand by my belief that a profession in real estate [for someone starting out] requires a more structured and less “hyped” educational format.

— Michael

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Chan, please explain what you mean by the words ‘Just do it’.

Does it refer to just going out and buying a property or does it refer to attending a seminar ?

Pisces

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Wow, no-one has yet commented on Karan’s age.

It is good to see you taking such an interest in real estate Karan.

I would think that your best shot is to approach the manager of a nearby real estate and tell him that you are passionately interested in real estate and ask him whether he would mind for you to get some work experience for a few days. (during your school holidays ?).

Make sure you dress up and wear a nice shirt and tie and a coat.

Often schools organise this kind of thing as well. Ask your teacher or school principal whether they do and, if so, ask specifically whether they can place you in a real estate office.

Getting an after hours job to earn some money that you can save is a good idea as well. Provided of course that it doesn’t interfere too much with your school studies.

Have a nice day.

Pisces

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Oh, and here is your first real estate lesson Karan.

If the estate agent you approached about work experience says ‘No, I am not interested in this (or whatever he may say)’ so what ?

Move on to the next one (and so on).

Pisces

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Karan

Do you want to retire by the age 25 on the income generated by the properties you are going to purchase between now and then?

If so that is your major goal. Have it in writing in large letters pinned to your wall.

Now how to do it?

Read and read and ask questions. There are a large number of books on property investing. Beg, buy, borrow and read.

These books and the ideas generated in them should help you develop the strategy or strategies that will help you in your major goal.

A new book very recently published in NZ can be accessed from this site.
    http://www.goodreturns.co.nz/books/product_info.php?products_id=187&PHPSESSID=bfcab3314653ba4d9b4a341df4b5971b
    This book is about how 10 NZers became millionaires investing in property.
    They were all asked the same questions but they had different startegies getting to the same goal.

The author of this book also takes an active part on this forum. http://www.propertytalk.co.nz

He does own and run 58 rental properties in the Hawkes Bay area of NZ.

Hope this helps you

Regards

Profile photo of spider2spider2
    @spider2

Life can be pretty simple. If you want to be slim don’t eat sugar or drink excessive alcohol. If you want to make money only purchase goods that make you money. Just keep buying property, time is just a good forgiver

Spider

The man who wants to be rich in a day will be hung in a year

@young.learner

Thanks Pices, well noted

Karan

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi karan

I’d like to add something also. i agree with Muppet learn as much as you can, this is best done by reading and talking to successful property investors. People will love to tell you their stories and tips.

i’ll give you my tip, its a bit complicated but it helped set me up financially.

only buy cash positive properties, this will provide the income to expand your portfolio.
    buy properties that will appreciate in value, this means you need to know what is happening around you, read papers and find out what business’ are doing. if you find an area that will grow in population you can guess the prices will rise also.
    Buy properties that you can add value to. if you don’t mind a bit of work, buy structurally sound homes that you can do cosmetic work to. Sometimes a paint job can easily add $10,000 to the property. this added value could be the deposit for property number 2, etc etc.

Sorry pieces, i’m not in agreeance with you about the real estate stuff, Real estate agents are not investors, they are sales staff. If however Karan you can find an Agent who is also an investor then Pieces advice is spot on. if i listened to real estate agents i’d still be working[:p]. Karan I suggest you talk to business owners and investors.

finally karan learn not to spend more than you make, if you can’t do this then you will make a very poor property investor.

all the best[:)]
    regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.