All Topics / General Property / LAND ZONING PROBLEMS – PLEASE HELP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of wilsonkaywilsonkay
    @wilsonkay

Hi all,

I’ve come up against a frustration with land zoning and I am sure someone out there must have an idea on how I might be able to get around it.

I have found a vendor who want’s to sell his rural property which consists of 27 acres and a house. However I don’t want the house, so he has offered me 3-4 acres to be surveyed off as a seperate title that includes a Cattery business. I would like to then build a house on this land. The problem is after making enquiries with the local council they have said that I can survey it off as a seperate title however they will not let me use the land for anything that is related to residential use due to it being zoned rural-A.

This is very frustrating as it is in the perfect location for what I am looking for, and I think I would certainly get the land cheap enough.

There must be a way that I can convince the council to give me permission to use the land for residential use, or to get it rezoned. Even if it is just to place a relocatable home ont here.

Has anyone else come up against this type of problem. I really would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Regards & Thanks,

Tim Wilson

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I dont have any experience in this, but I understand that councils are not prepared to rezone residential as they do not want large rural areas subdivided, as it could one day become very unprofitable for farmers to have smaller pieces of land for farming as you need large peices of land to make farming efficient and profitable. You still need economies of scale.

Sure farmers would love to have their land re-zoned residential and subdivide it. If they could easily re-zone their land, their land holding would double, triple or grow 4 fold over night.

Anyway. Good luck

Profile photo of wilsonkaywilsonkay
    @wilsonkay

Hi Yack,

Thanks for that. All good points. The thing that gets me about that is the land in question is on the outskirts of a small town (Latrobe Tasmania), and not far from a major highway. I can’t see that it would be all that usefull for rural purposes anyway, not anything seriouse at least.

Anyone else have some wisdom to impart?

Thanks.

Tim Wilson.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

What is a cattery business ?

In that particular council what is the minimum area one can subdivide in that zoning ?

Depending on your reply I may have some suggestions.

Pisces

Profile photo of wilsonkaywilsonkay
    @wilsonkay

Hi Pisces.

Thanks for your reply.
    A Cattery is boarding for cats. The business is called The Cat Comfort Motel, and surprisingly is quite profitable.

I am unsure of the minimim land requirement for sub-dividing in Rural Zoning for this coucil; however I will endeavour to find out and get back to you.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Tim Wilson.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I would think that it would be unreasonable for a council to refuse consent to also build a house for the caretaker/manager of the business as such a business clearly requires fultime (i.e. 24 hours a day) attendance by the manager.

Yes Tim, do come back with subdivision details as I do have some suggestions as to how to obtain approval even if the proposed area isn’t large enough to comply with council rules for subdivision.

Pisces

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.