All Topics / General Property / Proper Application Of The 11 Second Rule

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of dvanedvane
    @dvane

Hi everyone,

As I understand the 11 second rule you divide the expected weekly rent by 2, times that by 1000 and then compare that figure to the asking price of the house.

Is my application of the rule correct if I then disregard any property where the calculated figure is less than the asking price?

Eg.
    Weekly rent $200
    Asking price $90,000
    = Good Deal

Weekly rent $200
    Asking price $110,000
    = Bad Deal

Obviously this rule discounts any other factors such as capital gains (or have I missed something?)

Thanks,
    Dave

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

That’s the gist of the rule – but remember it’s a rule of thumb.

Personally, I don’t use it that much because the kinds of properties that fit this criteria are not what I’m looking for (ie not the bargain basement).

I’m also from the “factor in the depreciation” school of thought, which makes a difference.

Profile photo of dvanedvane
    @dvane

Excellent.

Thanks for your help.
    Dave

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

11 secs is just use to help you to work out if it is +ve cash flow property without having to carry your calculator around. eventhough it’s fix the 11 secs soln it’s still does not mean +ve cash flow all the time.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

dvane said:

“Weekly rent $200
    Asking price $110,000
    = Bad Deal”

yeah, dvane- that’s a shocker deal. Only a loser would do that one. Where is it, by the way? I’m a bit of a loser myself :) I have no idea where there are 110k properties yielding 200 bucks a week.

kay henry

Profile photo of markpatricmarkpatric
    @markpatric

I would not expect many properties to come even close.
    I have one which was spot on the 11 sec calc but I would think this would be near impossible in the cities.
    Why not just think ok price is 100k, 200k whatever and rent must be double per week, that`s my one sec rule!.
    For instance a 100k property would need to rent for 200 per week and so on.
    Seems this would be more realistic and even more simplified.
    This is generally the way I always did it.
    But of course position and potential play too a big part on buying a home to get carried away with set guidelines.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi guys,

If a property is $110k and rents for $200pw, dont just dismiss it, find out more about this property, it might be able to claim a depreciation, even on an I/O loan the property might give +ve dollars back in a tax rebate. There are also other little factors that can make a -ve cashflow property into a +ve cashflow property.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Obviously our marketplace is more of a hay stack than when Steve & Dave came up with this litmus test. But the important fator is that the 11SR is to help identify properties with a 10.4% rtn, as this was there minimum return they would accept on a property.

Now that the market has changed, interest rates are going up this test needs to be adapted to your own requirements. But even as it is, it is there to help you weed out deals that will give cash returns from day one.

Markpatrick
    I do the same thing as you as I understand what I am doing but for green eyed newbies the 11SR helps them to clarify what they are looking at.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

@kay-henry

sis, I would buy a 110k property that rented for $200 a week like a shot! Others might not, but I would :)

kay henry

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Profile photo of Michael4Michael4
    @michael4

Hi to All,

I think that purchasing a property that is 110K and rent is $ 200 is not a bad deal but keep in mind that you are waitning for property appreciates in value (hoping) and if that is why you would purchase negatively or neutrally geared property that for me would be risky.

As we all know we can only guess and get roughly close to how much property will appreciate in value but if it stays stagnant for fe years or barely going up in value then you got yourself not making any money from day one.

Isn’t this what we all want people “Work less and receive more money” not the other way around Work more and receive less.

I wold rather buy property that is in more rural than central area as even thoug hyou are taking higher reisk with due diligence chacks you can quite easily make much more money in value going up in those areas as well pay them off quicker as you borrow less and of cource meaning could borrow more in much less time from the banks.

Cheers all,[:o)]

@kay-henry

yeah michael- but if your property doesn’t appreciate in value, you only get an extra $5 a week in your pocket. Gonna take a lot of those $5 a week to retire.

kay henry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.