All Topics / General Property / Anyone got 10-20 yrs prop invest experience

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Does anyone have 10-20 years personal property investing experience?

If so – did you focus on metropolitan or rural properties? Got a quick summary to share with us all.

Its just that i will pay more attention to your posts over others.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

well, that knocks out anyone under 35-45!

But young investors- i still respect ya!

kay henry

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi yack,

I believe Jan Somers has been investing for years, have you read any of her books or checked out her site, http://www.somersoft.com? She advocates, for the average person, that regional centres (not little one horse towns, but cities) are the way to go (at least that’s my interpretation) for a mix of CG and yield. I thought you were solid in your resolve for metropolitan… as I have said before, there are more cities than Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Regional cities are good investment areas too. There’s more than one way to skin a cat…

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Bugger! I’ve only got 9 1/2 years experience. Oh well, not going to be listened to! [:(]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Ok. Noone has more than 10 yrs experience to date. Anyone got over 7 years. Anyone had to struggle in a down market? We have all been riding an increased market over the last 7-8 years. I bought my first investment property 8 years ago and I have not experienced a down market yet. So I would love to hear some experiences from those that have been investors for a long time.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

ok here’s my 2 cents. I bought my first IP in 1991 so I guess I have 13 years up now. I missed all the excitement of the late 80’s though. I wish I still owned every property I have ever owned. I also looked at buying some places in regional areas (which I never bought), some of which I regret not buying and vice versa. So in summary if I had stuck with quality city properties I would be very happy today. My strategy is, buy quality city properties, do everything possible to make them as neutrally geared as possible. Inflation over time will boost your asset values and eventually provide cf+ returns as rents slowly rise. It’s not a get rich quick scheme, but if you plan for 10 to 15 years and plough your earnings back against the properties you should be able to retire by then.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

yack,

I bought my first property 9 years ago. Had I attempted to sell it for 3-4 years after that, I would have lost money on it. I was in a divorce situation and was panicking a little in dealing with the responsibility of a mortgage. Re wasn’t “fashionable” back then, but my friends and I were buying into RE and there were no price movements- except downwards – for any area (in my region) that wasn’t unique. The research popers written at the time on median prices of RE used to say things like “Prices down again” as the headline.

I think the way to deal with negative growth is to ride it through. Some might think the people who have made money in this boom are some kind of “heroes”, but really- i remember my friends and I wondering why we had bought RE when our values had fallen. We weren’t considered heroes then…

Buy and hold was the strategy that has made money for those who had RE back then and kept it. But I feel the market has changed- and the state of RE is never gonna be the same. I don’t believe prices will *necessarily* double again in the next 10 years. But I believe people who buy when there isn’t CG just need to hold on- despite divorce etc. Given that the boom is over, it has to now be a buy and hold strategy- huge CG is in the past- slow and steady for the future.

I probably don’t fit your criterion for the 10-20 year investor, however… I do know about RE prices falling- soooo glad I didn’t get out then- I’d have nothing now if i did. And it wouldn’t be a case of “the one that got away”- I would be regretting “the one I *gave* away”.

kay henry

Profile photo of GrizzlyBearGrizzlyBear
    @grizzlybear

I bought my first in 1991 (aged 21).

My mentor was thrilled.

Didn’t buy another until the 1st one with Steve (May 99)

My mentor has just celebrated 40 years in the property business.

Dave

Profile photo of OldtimerOldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

Bought my first investment in 1978. A unit buy and hold.
    Back then you had to beg a bank manager to give you a loan. How things have changed.

I retired in 1998 and now live quite a nice lifestyle from my properties. I guess I’ve done most things. Renos,buy and holds,developments. I even have a few wraps which despite all the negativity you see have worked very well for both me and my purchasers.

I well remember when the government banned neg gearing. Some of my best buys were in those days and the times of 19%+ interest rates in the late eighties were interesting too.

Property has been the flavour of the month quite a few times in the past few decades but I dont see this as much different now. Just another cycle but with the information revolution as new influencing factor.

Where to buy, regional or cities? I think you can do well out of both. Just assess each deal on its merits and go ahead. Taking action is where most of my peers missed out. They are still working jobs they hate with only their PPOR to show for a lifetime of work. Their favourite lament is “If only…”.

Good to see a lot of young people on this board having a go.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Bought my first back in 88. Did a quick reno and made a 65% profit in a year! Sounds impressive but the figures were really a buy price at $52K and then a sell at $86K in a booming market. This profit didn’t change our lives except that it showed what was achievable for a young guy at the time.

Looking back we should have held it and subsequent properties and we have amended our strategy accordingly.

My recent reno – nearly finished only shows a 25% appreciation which pales in contrast.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of spider2spider2
    @spider2

I purchased my first IP in 1991 in Canberra and roughly around the same time purchased 2 more investment properties off the plan. They were all negatively geared. I thought this was good until John Howard (thank you John) cut back on the Public Service. I saw the three properties virtually half in value over the coming years. I just held on and tried to rely on the rent and tax returns. The market came back like it always does and eventually the 3 properties doubled in value from the price I paid. I think Jan Somers is right – Just keep buying. I am now buying for yield. I don’t care where it is.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.