All Topics / General Property / Dual Occupancy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of taleishataleisha
    @taleisha

I am currently looking to purchase a property in Brisbane that could be rented out on a “Dual Occupancy” basis therefore giving me more rent. Both floors have kitchen & bath, 2 br upstairs, 3 br downstairs with separate entries – the tennants would have to share the back yard. I am interested if anyone has done something similiar and what problems (or benefits) they encountered.

Profile photo of BenJonesBenJones
    Participant
    @benjones

I have a dual occy in Canberra and as such, am able to get significantly more rental return than if it was a normal 3 bdrm. Luckily for me the work was done before purchasing, such as: 2 driveways (one with carport and one with garage), 2 clotheslines, seperate electricity meters, 2 water heaters, phonelines, and most importantly it has divided backyard areas. The large section (2 bdrm) has the front yard and a courtyard area at the back, while the 1 bdrm has the garage and grassed area of the backyard. This maintains some privacy for both tenants. The only link between the 2 sections is via the 2 bdrm laundry door, but this is a very heavy door and is bolted on both sides.
    As for problems, the only one that has come up in the last 2 years(according to the PM) is the gardening and who does what bit. Even though it has been explained to them by the PM it still causes some confusion (maybe selective hearing has a part to play).
    I think dual occupancy properties are the way to go if you get the chance to buy one. Luckily mine can easily be converted back into a large 2 bdrm house with large 1 bdrm granny flat, or opened up into a 3 bdrm w ensuite, making it a possible PPOR in the future.
    Good luck with what you decide to do.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I think there are a lot of places that have a shared backyard. We have one in Canberra, and it hasn’t appeared to present any problems.

Be aware that it would be hard to then tell the tenants who should look after what…..

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.